Light-O-Rama Forums

What to get

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

So this morning my wife says to me man your light show is sure taking up a lot of room on our computer so I say why don't I get a new one specifically for LOR to run my shows she says ok

So now I pose the question what should I get a used pc or a laptop the computer will only run the LOR shows all my programing will be done on my other computers I will download all the sequences to the show computer your input will be greatly appriciated.

My advice would be to get a new pc - whether it be a laptop or desk model. I know that many people will tell you all you need is a ten year-old model with a roll of duct tape and you're good to go for running your show. Maybe that's so. But the increase in performance I saw, both in everyday computing and also in runnig the show is pretty remarkable. Last year, with a slower pc I had incredible lag times while the show player loaded the sequences. This year with a new pc - a fairly low-end one at that - those lag times are gone. And given the price of new PCs - especially low end models that still run circles around anything made three or four years ago, you can't go wrong.

I agree with George.

Get a new one.

I use a old one because I have it here plus another one as a back up.

The one I used last year died 2 weeks ago.

I actually am running my show off of a relatively new Dell netbook (one of the really small ones). It cost less than $300, and runs the show flawlessly. The small screen sucks for programming, so I use either an external monitor, or another pc to sequence.

Just throwing it out there as an option to get a new computer with a low cost.

Don Gillespie wrote:

I will show my wife your coments how can she argue with you George...

That shouldn't be too hard. Lots of women before her have found plenty of ways to argue with me...

Another way to look at it is to buy yourself a nice replacement for your "main" PC, then turn your current one into the show computer. That's what I've always done... Another advantage to this is that you're already running the show on it so you know the performance is OK.

Guest Don Gillespie

Tim Fischer wrote:

Another way to look at it is to buy yourself a nice replacement for your "main" PC, then turn your current one into the show computer. That's what I've always done... Another advantage to this is that you're already running the show on it so you know the performance is OK.

Good one we just bought this computer about a year ago so I have to keep the next computer under $500.00 bucks this would be my only issue as I don't know what requirements are needed for a computer IE: memory gigabytes etc ect to run the LOR shows

LOR requirements: http://www.lightorama.com/LOR_FAQ.html#_Toc124407451

What are the minimum PC requirements?
500 MHz or faster CPU
Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP or Vista
25 MB free disk space + space for audio files and sequence files
128 MB RAM -- Enough memory to run the OS installed
One serial port or a USB to serial port adapter (adapter is available from LOR)
You will NOT need to install any hardware in your PC.

Here are some systems that would fit the requirements with your price requirement:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+Presario+CQ5600Y+Desktop+%26+20%22+LCD+Monitor+Package/9999140900050004.p?id=pcmprd140900050004&skuId=9999140900050004

Costco has 6 systems under $500

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BC&Ne=5000000&eCat=BC|84&N=4047242+5000014&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1〈=en-US

TigerDirect (Internet) under $500
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=4925&name=Windows-7-Desktops&Nav=|c:2627|lp:200:hp:499.99|&Sort=0&Recs=10

HowardShank wrote:

500 MHz or faster CPU

This appears to be a real old requirement list. A serial port is not needed and might be the last thing you would want to use anyway. Now a USB port is the way to go now days anyway. And I would never suggest the OS minimum RAM, I would never suggest that. At least double the minimum suggested RAM. And on Laptops that are known to share the RAM between the OS and Video. Then with memory as cheap as it is, I would go with the maximum that the motherboard can handle.

Now Howard that might be the absolute minimum. But I could never in good mind suggest those above specs that you found on the LOR site.

George Simmons wrote:

That shouldn't be too hard. Lots of women before her have found plenty of ways to argue with me...

George . . .

Are you implying it might be possible that you've been with lots of women?

Max-Paul wrote:

This appears to be a real old requirement list. A serial port is not needed and might be the last thing you would want to use anyway.

I think this list is still accurate. Remember, it's the MINIMUM list, not the SUGGESTED list. For example, it says serial or USB. You can still run a show on serial if you so desire - I did up until last year when I switched to another machine which no longer had a serial port. I saw no need to upgrade to the USB485 (which wasn't available in 2003 when I started using LOR) when the serial worked just fine. In fact in many ways, it was a whole lot less fussy than the USB thing, what with all the virtual com port nonsense... with the SC485 you just plugged it in and it worked, always :)

I do agree with you in principle though - I wouldn't suggest running at the minimum specs unless you were desperate and had a fairly small number of channels. I ran on Win98SE for a number of years and it's very fussy about multitasking - simply opening up a window on the show computer would cause the music to hiccup. WinXP (and greater) is much better about that.

Guest Don Gillespie

Max-Paul wrote:

HowardShank wrote:

500 MHz or faster CPU

This appears to be a real old requirement list. A serial port is not needed and might be the last thing you would want to use anyway. Now a USB port is the way to go now days anyway. And I would never suggest the OS minimum RAM, I would never suggest that. At least double the minimum suggested RAM. And on Laptops that are known to share the RAM between the OS and Video. Then with memory as cheap as it is, I would go with the maximum that the motherboard can handle.

Now Howard that might be the absolute minimum. But I could never in good mind suggest those above specs that you found on the LOR site.

Ok then would you go pc or laptop I am leaning towards laptop as it now becomes portable and can be moved when not in use whats your take

Don Gillespie wrote:

Ok then would you go pc or laptop I am leaning towards laptop as it now becomes portable and can be moved when not in use whats your take

Just a personal preference, but I prefer a desktop to run the show, but a laptop to have around during setup, diagnosing problems, etc. is invaluable.

If you don't already have a laptop that you can use for that then I'd switch my answer and say go that route.

Right, I agree with Tim. If you already have a laptop that you do your sequencing on. Then you can use this for your set-up and trouble shooting. Then the desktop or tower is the way to go. Actually thinking about it. I would get the best new computer that you and your wife will use. And then use the computer you are currently using.
But if you do not own a laptop, then I am sure that the show will run off of a laptop.

I just know that my next laptop will not be sharing memory with the video card. I would like to see my visualizer update and I can see each and every small quick flash or twinkle. At this time I might have to re-run it four or five times to see something flash that it has missed in past runs. I was back before I realized what was going on. Scratching my head saying I know that I programmed it to flash that light. And sure enough it was programmed but would not always flash in the visualizer. So, laptops that share memory are a pet pea of mine. Sorry for so long of a post.

Guest Don Gillespie

Max-Paul wrote:

Right, I agree with Tim. If you already have a laptop that you do your sequencing on. Then you can use this for your set-up and trouble shooting. Then the desktop or tower is the way to go. Actually thinking about it. I would get the best new computer that you and your wife will use. And then use the computer you are currently using.
But if you do not own a laptop, then I am sure that the show will run off of a laptop.

I just know that my next laptop will not be sharing memory with the video card. I would like to see my visualizer update and I can see each and every small quick flash or twinkle. At this time I might have to re-run it four or five times to see something flash that it has missed in past runs. I was back before I realized what was going on. Scratching my head saying I know that I programmed it to flash that light. And sure enough it was programmed but would not always flash in the visualizer. So, laptops that share memory are a pet pea of mine. Sorry for so long of a post.

Is there a difference in laptops I know the cheap ones are no good the one I have now is a good one it is an HP 6535b at least thats what the guy said when I bought a year ago

Don, I would get the most ram 3-4 gig, biggest hard drive 500 or above, fastest processors at least dual core if not quad you can get. If it does not work out, just send it to me and I will see if it works for me. By the way, I don't care if it is a laptop or PC. Just trying to help out.

Guest Don Gillespie

shfr26 wrote:

Don, I would get the most ram 3-4 gig, biggest hard drive 500 or above, fastest processors at least dual core if not quad you can get. If it does not work out, just send it to me and I will see if it works for me. By the way, I don't care if it is a laptop or PC. Just trying to help out.

I was very worried that no one would step up to the plate but I knew I could count on you Pete what I will do is give you my visa # and I will let you buy it for me and then you might as well test it for a couple of years lord knows I don't want to get a dud thanks for helping me out. :)

Visa # oops my said said she cut off my left one if I did this sorry Pete its her fault not mine

Maybe we can get TJHav??? to fly up there, pick up the computer, fly it down to me, you give him Royal Crown, I'll give him warm weather and a few brewskees, and we will all be happy. That way your wife doesn't have to do anything drastic. :D