Light-O-Rama Forums

New LOR Firmware Posted

Guest guest

kb9nvh wrote:

OK, I can get the lights to work in the hardware utility and I can get my show to run in the show controller software but when I play my sequence in the sequence editor with "control lights" checked, it does NOT control my lights. So, I have shows enabled..is that the problem? (the hardware editor is closed also)

Can someone clue me in???

ALSO, I do see the version number in the title (maybe it was there all along???)

Shows enabled + Sequence Editor "Control Lights" checked = Two items trying to occupy the same space.

Try to disable shows and see what happens.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• iresq

• cattlefarmboy

kb9nvh wrote:

OK, I can get the lights to work in the hardware utility and I can get my show to run in the show controller software but when I play my sequence in the sequence editor with "control lights" checked, it does NOT control my lights. So, I have shows enabled..is that the problem? (the hardware editor is closed also)

Can someone clue me in???

ALSO, I do see the version number in the title (maybe it was there all along???)
Yes, if you have shows enabled, then it will not control the lights from the sequence editor. You will have to disable shows.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to update the firmware via the wireless light linker. Anyone try that successfully?

How long is the firmware update supposed to take.

Mine seems to be taking awfully long. Roughly 15 minutes in. Status reports Starting Load

Activity: Grabbing Unit

Update Progress: doesn't look like it's even started progressing.

Frimware updates always run at 19,200... So if your ELLs are running at 57,600 (which is normal) then frimware updates will not work. When you update the firmware on an ELL, the ELL is temporally set to 19,200 for the duration of the firmware update then set back to the original speed.. You do not see this happening.

When it comes to updating firmware I recommend that you have the units directly connected. However if you are running your ELL network at 19,2 then you can update firmware via the ELLs.

As far as how long a download takes, it should start within 5 seconds and take about 30 seconds to complete.

Thanks for the info.

I was able to update another board and did see how fast it happened. I'll try manually changing the baud rate and see if that helps. As an FYI, I was unable to update the firmware via the ELL's at this point. But will try again.

Daniel wrote:

So What is exactly the purpose of the new firmware? Chuck has said "No led flicker when fading". Anything else you can tell us? Just like logan said, 'Do we even NEED to upgrade the firmware?"

I heard LED's flicker with that Digital Light show do dad walmarts sold a couple years ago... and even some DMX controllers or other competitors... One suggested problem and solution is the LED's have some capacitence or something of that nature and something simple like adding a 1 bulb C7 or night light to draw down the capacitence can get rid of the flicker in dimming.

mcascio wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I was able to update another board and did see how fast it happened. I'll try manually changing the baud rate and see if that helps. As an FYI, I was unable to update the firmware via the ELL's at this point. But will try again.

Hi... If you set the ELLs to 19.200 ( you have to set each of them individually)... then you should be able to use them to perform firmware updates on the controllers. Make sure that you have the latest Hardware Utilty 1.5.7 ( on the LOR support page ).

Joseph Ayo wrote:

Daniel wrote:
So What is exactly the purpose of the new firmware? Chuck has said "No led flicker when fading". Anything else you can tell us? Just like logan said, 'Do we even NEED to upgrade the firmware?"

I heard LED's flicker with that Digital Light show do dad walmarts sold a couple years ago... and even some DMX controllers or other competitors... One suggested problem and solution is the LED's have some capacitence or something of that nature and something simple like adding a 1 bulb C7 or night light to draw down the capacitence can get rid of the flicker in dimming.

With LOR there is no need to add any loads or such to get the LEDs to fade smoothly. Make sure you have the latest firmware... The resolution of a slight flicker in the fade for LEDs was addressed in the last firmware release.

• 2 years later...

this whole thing confused me, i have 4- CTB16D ver 4.01 showtime, i got them back in june. i m using LEDs in my display. some of them is flicking when they are fading. will the firmware on the website fix that or am i missing something on here. also would a 1 watt resistor put on the end of the leds fix that if the firmware doesnt fix that . one of my led tree with 10 strings pull about 0.4 amp

Any flicker you are currently seeing is probably from the light string and not the LOR unit. All the big box LED's I bought last year at after Christmas sales work fine. Some of the quality LED's I purchased from Creative Lighting have a flicker problem.

cattlefarmboy wrote:

this whole thing confused me, i have 4- CTB16D ver 4.01 showtime, i got them back in june. i m using LEDs in my display. some of them is flicking when they are fading. will the firmware on the website fix that or am i missing something on here. also would a 1 watt resistor put on the end of the leds fix that if the firmware doesnt fix that . one of my led tree with 10 strings pull about 0.4 amp

Because of the differences in the way LEDs are manufactured it is impossible to say if either of those things will work but I would first upgrade the firmware on one of the controllers and see if that makes a difference. If not then try the resistor.