Light-O-Rama Forums

show startup problem

klomneck

hopefully someone can help with this problem. The second night of our display when the scheduled time for the show came around, the show didn't start. I disabled and enabled the show and it still didn't start. After the second disable and enable, it started working. It started on time tonight, but i'd like to prevent a future event from happening. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them. Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

I had the same issue last night. I left the computer on from the day before and the status window was open. The show closed down Sunday just fine but when it was time to start on Monday it did not. I too tried to shut down and re-enable but it did not work. I had to reboot before the show would start.

It even said next scheduled show Monday at 5:30 but at 5:34 it still didn't start so that is when I rebooted.

I turned the computer off last night and turned it on this evening and will enable the shows to see if it starts on time.

I ran 'tests' [on Demand show] during the day Monday, watching the status window and the first time thru the Show, every song took between 10 and as many as 35 seconds to load and start. Some songs did not finish --- I let the show continue and the second time thru everything started as normal -- very quick and within 2 seconds. No songs were re-loaded during the second pass -- so it appears once loaded into memory, they are available to play. During the real show at 6pm, everything worked perfect again --- it started on time and there were no delays between loading and starting. I've left the computer alone with the status window open for tonite --- we'll see how things go ... I'm going to the airport so I won't be here for the first hour or two ....

I am currently [still] running XP Pro SP3 --- until I open up my new computers with Win 7 ---- so its good you gave me this hint in advance ....

my pc doesn't sleep and I had the same problem. Worked great and my wife called said the show didn't start. The LOR control panel was there but wouldn't respond. I have to reboot every day. Hope that got fixed during this upgrade today.

Check with your computer mother boards website, for an updated bios.

Several have reported that their motherboard would disconnect the USB ports after a period of time, regardles of the "power save" settings.

The one's that found the updated bios for their motherboards are reporting the problem is solved.

Dan when my show didn't start the status window said waiting for next show and had the day and time listed which was correct but in the window below where the log is it had from the night before when the show was completed.

I waited for 5 minutes after the show was to start and nothing the status window never changed so I rebooted and the show ran fine. I have been shutting down each night and not letting my computer run so I have a fresh start each day.

So far the show starts fine but I still have the issue of it shutting down for no reason.

I am running the show on a laptop that I have used for the last 2 years without issues but will move my desktop into place tomorrow to see what it does.

I'm afraid I don't know the details of this, but I'm hoping perhaps someone here might - is there a known hardware problem that causes lockups on some computers if you don't have a certain type of cable, or something like that?

I'm not for sure but I am using the same PC quad core 2.4gh, 4gigs memory windows 7 64bit and same usb / cat5 cable as I did for Halloween. Then when Thanksgiving came around it started to act up really bad. After the first show second night wouldn't start and after that I had to reboot everyday. This was with 2.8.12 I just update to the latest software 2.9.4 this week. Its like it came out of no where on thanksgiving weekend. I have not rebooted the pc sense updating yesterday. I will see in 55 minutes if the show comes on. Crossing fingers.

Same here Dan, same computer I have used the last 2 years, same cable, same set up and LOR is at 2.8.12.

I posted over in the other thread about my show stopping again for no reason.

Third time for that problem. I am afraid to go anywhere at night so I am here to reboot if needed. Don't want to have the show go off and not run and have people get upset.

I think the latest version took care of that. I haven't rebooted sense yesterday and it worked today. I would recommend everyone go to version 2.9.4. I hope that took care of it. If I don't post on this topic again it is fixed for good.

bob wrote:

I'm afraid I don't know the details of this, but I'm hoping perhaps someone here might - is there a known hardware problem that causes lockups on some computers if you don't have a certain type of cable, or something like that?

There is an issue with some USB port hardware and LOR... However we now supply large ferrite filters on our USB cables that filter out the noise that was causing the USB drivers to hang.

In general the symption is that the LOR program using the USB drivers hangs waiting for a response from the drivers. The USB device must be unpluged from the PC to clear the error.

With older PCs this is rarely an issue and no filters are required, However with many newer computers the USB hardware is more "sensitive" BUT with the filtered cables supplied with our USB adapters for the last few years there are seldom issues.

Dan,

I did not have the filtered USB on my machine but I do have one and it is on now.

Will run the show tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks for the support!!!!!

Ed

Ed Slonka Jr wrote:

Dan,

I did not have the filtered USB on my machine but I do have one and it is on now.

Will run the show tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks for the support!!!!!

Ed

If it that cable is not one from us then if it still has a problem, it may still be the cable.. (not sure if that makes sense)...

We went through about 30 different filters until we found one that was highly effective.

Dan

Dan,

No, it is not one from you it was one I had on another USB product. Although the show ran fine last evening with the preloaded option with the filtered cable.

I am going to run it tonight not preloaded with the filtered cable.

I ordered LOR's USB cable this morning.

Thanks!

Dan,

The show ran fine again last evening not preloading the sequences and using the non-LOR filtered cable.

Will run the show again tonight preloading the sequences with the filtered cable until the LOR cable arrives.

Have not tried letting computer run to see if show starts without a reboot.

Will do that tomorrow if all runs well tonight.

Thanks,

Ed