Light-O-Rama Forums

Radio Station sign

dkoehler42

Hey all,

I'm a bit behind this year with personal stuff up the wazoo. Can someone give me a hand in how to make a legible radio station sign? I know someone suggested something along the line of mini lights stapled to a piece of wood.

If you have access to a local sign shop, you could have them print what you want to say on some vinyl...and attach it to some Plexiglas that you could mount in a frame with some lighting in it to back-light it.

some other ideas:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum82/22821.html

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum82/22429-2.html

While that's cool, I'm looking for something a little different. I'm running out of time and don't have a lot of cash to drop.

dkoehler42 wrote:

While that's cool, I'm looking for something a little different. I'm running out of time and don't have a lot of cash to drop.

No Time...

plus No Money...

Equals No Sign...

Two by four piece of cheap plywood. Paint the plywood white. Get letters from an office supply store and stick them on the dried white paint. Paint all exposed surfaces black. Remove letters and you have a black sign with white lettering. Shine a spotlight on it and it will work just fine.

BrianC wrote:

buildasign.com has 25% off right now for three days. My 24 x 36 corrugated plastic sign was under $40 full price.

Pretty wicked. How long does it take to ship and how would you light it other than a spotlight?

jimswinder wrote:

dkoehler42 wrote:

No Time...

plus No Money...

Equals No Sign...

You want cheap??? I got cheap! Haven't had time to make one yet, so 450 point font, Microsoft Word, scotch tape and a red flood at night!

Attached files 224394=12424-tuneto.jpg

boborino wrote:

You want cheap??? I got cheap! Haven't had time to make one yet, so 450 point font, Microsoft Word, scotch tape and a red flood at night!

I don't know...them 6 pieces of paper probably set you back a few pennies...

and don't even get me started on the ink and scotch tape!!!

Though I guess I could use a few less pieces of tape wrapping that ONE Christmas present I bought for my wife... ;)

jimswinder wrote:

boborino wrote:

I don't know...them 6 pieces of paper probably set you back a few pennies...

and don't even get me started on the ink and scotch tape!!!

Though I guess I could use a few less pieces of tape wrapping that ONE Christmas present I bought for my wife... ;)

Ha ha guys. Very funny. You try buying presents for four family members and then drop 400$. I'm just trying to find an effective way to get this done and without completely alienating the neighbors.

dkoehler42 wrote:

I'm just trying to find an effective way to get this done and without completely alienating the neighbors.

Not to be a smart ass...but you are more concerned about a little sign alienating the neighbors as opposed to several thousand lights blinking seemingly randomly for 4 or 5 hours every night? :shock:

jimswinder wrote:

dkoehler42 wrote:
I'm just trying to find an effective way to get this done and without completely alienating the neighbors.

Not to be a smart ass...but you are more concerned about a little sign alienating the neighbors as opposed to several thousand lights blinking seemingly randomly for 4 or 5 hours every night? :shock:
I'm concerned about that as well. I'm trying to plan accordingly. My motto this year is not every song needs to be a rock concert.

local sign shop did it on metal 24 x 36 for $40, I had it in 1 day, they even designed it and sent me a proof!

home depot - $15 for 2 piece of rebar, 2 - 10' sections of white 1/2' pvc, 2-90 degree corners, and 2 T's, pvc cement, and a roll or red electrical tape.

It took about 45 minute to cut the pvc, make the frame, wrap the tape onto it, drill into the sign and wire tie it to the PVC. then i planted the rebar in the ground with about 2 feet sticking up and placed the sign on top.

Jim Saul wrote:

local sign shop did it on metal 24 x 36 for $40, I had it in 1 day, they even designed it and sent me a proof!

home depot - $15 for 2 piece of rebar, 2 - 10' sections of white 1/2' pvc, 2-90 degree corners, and 2 T's, pvc cement, and a roll or red electrical tape.

It took about 45 minute to cut the pvc, make the frame, wrap the tape onto it, drill into the sign and wire tie it to the PVC. then i planted the rebar in the ground with about 2 feet sticking up and placed the sign on top.

That's easy, but the question again is how did you illuminate it?

dkoehler42 wrote:

I'm concerned about that as well. I'm trying to plan accordingly. My motto this year is not every song needs to be a rock concert.

aww...come on!!! Shake those houses off their foundations!!! LOL

I am sure your neighbors will appreciate your efforts and concerns to minimize the effects that your Christmas Display may have on them...

I apologize for making fun of your efforts...

dkoehler42 wrote:

That's easy, but the question again is how did you illuminate it?

Sorry, just a flood light in a plastic spike in the ground. I had it from years ago, when I lived in Suffolk as well.

I think walgreens has them on sale this week for about $7.
The best way to do it would probably be with a cheap timer to turn it on at dusk and off when the show is over, but I ended up putting it onto a channel that hits the beat in every song, because it was convent, the wires are covered in snow, and it was cold! Had to pour boiling water into the ground to melt it so that I could plant the light.
Where is Suffolk are you? I was in Melville. Does WBAB still do the bus tour for Christmas lights? I remember way blinking lights to music, they would bring 3 buses of people to my house on the weekends, we would have santa, and elves there handing out candy, it was a great time.

I have gone to a much cheaper method of sign - and they're disposable! I just print up a sign 18 x 24 on the plotter at work (Could just do the old cut and paste on a piece of poster board), then I take it to a local teacher store to be laminated. I paste that on a piece of plain coro and use a stand which was given to me, although coat hangers would make an ok DIY stand. I then put "toppers" on just like real estate signs for "Bring a Canned Good for the Poor" and "Santa is Coming December 11 6:00 - 9:00 PM