Light-O-Rama Forums

How important is Cat 5e or 6 cable?

Tim

So I'm looking to get a CCR and am wondering if I could use a regular Cat 5 cable to run it or should I use a Cat 5e or 6? Would is damage the CCR to use a Cat 5? Just wondering before I make the move to buy one. Thanks for your help!

Another reason I asked the question is because I like to make my own Cat 5 cable (cheaper) so I wanted to make sure I could do this. One more question:

Would any damage occur to the controller if I were to accidentally cross the wires at the end of the Cat 5 while making them? I wouldn't think so if only data is supposedly going through.

Thanks again for your help!

Tim wrote:

Another reason I asked the question is because I like to make my own Cat 5 cable (cheaper) so I wanted to make sure I could do this. One more question:

Would any damage occur to the controller if I were to accidentally cross the wires at the end of the Cat 5 while making them? I wouldn't think so if only data is supposedly going through.

You have RS-485 data on one pair, and + - DC voltage on another pair.

So crossing wires at one end could cause damage to the controller.

I always use my Cat 5 cable tester to verify the integrity of any cables I make before connecting them to a controller.

You do NOT want crossed cables carrying 10 volts DC. Bad things will happen!

• The topic was locked