Light-O-Rama Forums

How to get visitors?

funnyent

It will start slow. However, word of mouth is the best advertising. You will see the visitors start to increase as the season goes on.

George Simmons wrote:

Try hiring some strippers...

That is what I did. I call it my " North Pole". That way my wife doesn't really know what it is for. Nice George!!

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

The problem in the north with this idea is takes to long for them to remove everythign and also to cold but I like your thinking LOL

Call yout local TV/radio station(s) or newspaper.

I am lucky and live on a busy street and have been putting up Xmas display for years.

George Simmons wrote:

It will start slow. However, word of mouth is the best advertising. You will see the visitors start to increase as the season goes on.

Just TOO many innuendos I could point out on these two comments...

Make a flier and put it up at the local Starbucks/coffee shop, all the Pizza shops and the library. Ask the schools to hand out fliers.

Maybe just print something the size of a business card. I use www.vistaprint.com

Attached files 224073=12401-SilverdaleLightBC.jpg

There's an old saying.. 'be careful what you ask for'. I wouldn't expect many visitors on Thanksgiving week. You'll get more and more as the season moves forward. If you go the media route(local TV etc), be prepared for the onslaught. Once we got on TV last year, the traffic was unreal. I don't know how bad it's going to get before the neighbors start giving me flack about it.

This is my fourth year and I have a decent amount of traffic. One thing I did this year was create a facebook page( http://www.facebook.com/pages/Christmas-On-Sunset/108498732550174 ). Then I suggested the page to all of my facebook friends who hopefully suggest it to their friends. Once someone likes the page they basically subscribe to every post you put on the page. They can comment and interact with the page in many ways that you can control. I have about 300 people who "liked" the page so far and I know for a fact some of them have never seen my display in the 3 previous years I have had it. Fans have been leaving comments and even suggestions on what they like about the display. So far it has been very successful for me and I highly suggest it to anyone....best part about it is that it is free!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/FacebookPages

you can try detour signs to route traffic from the main roads :P

It's a great question and ultimately I think it is word or mouth and time. I've lived in this house for 9 years in a small town of 13,000 people. I've always has a big display, it's in our TV commercials, the local radio talks about almost every day, and the newspaper always lists us in their houses to see list, yet almost every day people are telling me that they just "discovered" our display.

A local TV show (Evening Magazine - NBC in Seattle) came and shot some video about a month ago when I was setting up and again this past Saturday for our Lighting Ceremony...

The story is supposed to air sometime next week...will let you know what effect it has on the amount of traffic...

Me?...I'm hoping for chaos!!! lol

But they found about us last year, thru a local blog

http://westseattleblog.com/2010/11/west-seattle-christmas-lights-helmstetler-family-spectacular-begins

who found out about us because I emailed them a short blub about our display...

jimswinder wrote:

A local TV show (Evening Magazine - NBC in Seattle) came and shot some video about a month ago when I was setting up and again this past Saturday for our Lighting Ceremony...

The story is supposed to air sometime next week...will let you know what effect it has on the amount of traffic...

Me?...I'm hoping for chaos!!! lol

But they found about us last year, thru a local blog

http://westseattleblog.com/2010/11/west-seattle-christmas-lights-helmstetler-family-spectacular-begins

who found out about us because I emailed them a short blub about our display...

You say that now! Wait til you can't get to your house because of all the traffic.

There is an area that has lite up every year (Candy Cane Lane) and people that live in the area can't get in or out when lights are on.

PaulXmas wrote:

You say that now! Wait til you can't get to your house because of all the traffic.

That's the beauty of all of this...the lights are set-up at my friends house...my house could NO WAY handle the traffic!!! LOL

Guest Don Gillespie

funnyent wrote:

It's my first year with lor and I have 16 channels and an fm transmitter with sign. However, I am just not getting any visitors in my neighborhood. What do you do to get visitors?

Tim

I wouldn't worry about getting people to come it will take sometime, once one person sees it they will tell ten of their friends and so on before long the traffic will be backed up, I have been on Television, the radio, and the newspaper every year for the last five years, last year was my first year with LOR what I did notice was closer to christmas traffic became very heavy be patient people will come

Well there’s two ways to look at it. Be happy you don’t have the crowds yet that’s another problem you don’t want to have. If you’re not afraid of crowds. id make flayers, put them at every local store around you....d and d, ShopRite, post office, 7 11, trust me it will start but it will be slow, last night I had about 70 cars though out the night to me that’s a lot, to others that’s nothing. I live on a small road with an outlet to a major highway on it so I get quite a bit of traffic sometimes more then I like. So be happy you have you and your family to enjoy what you’ve done. It soon will change! It does for all of us.

This is my first year also and I live on a pretty busy street. The first night I had cars stopping. I have my stuff on the radio but no sign yet. I was inside on evening last week and heard a car really booming....i didnt pay any attention to it thinking it was just kids driving by since i live close to the high school. My wife came home a little bit later and said......" Someone found our radio station and they are jamming in front of our house". Give it time and you can always use facebook as free advertisement.

Well, I will let you know how the news in our area works. I got a call yesterday from the news wanting to come out last night and tonight. I told them I wasn't going to be home until late last night. turning onto our road there was a news van taking video. They called again and want to come back and interview tonight. I don't mind seeing a busy show area but if it was like Disney night every night I can see having a problem. I guess if it does then I will shorten the show down by half to get them in and out faster.