Light-O-Rama Forums

controller cant be found by hardware (Please Help)!!!!!!!!!

cvlrs2000

hey that worked but i still cannot get my usb ports to find a controller at all. I think its probably my usb to cat 5 cable. it one of those dual ferrett filter cables my laptop is windows 7 . any one got any ideas?

Scott,

After you plug in the USB cable examine the devices on your computer. Start>Control Panel> System then on the upper right Device manager. Look to see what comm port was assigned to your USB adapter.

For instance my windows 7 assigned it at comm 10. LOR has a problem for a comm port over some number. For the life of me I cannot remember what is the highest comm port that LOR will support.

If the comm port assigned to your adapter is over 10. I would try to change the port number 10 or lower. The only reason I say 10...is because I know that LOR will find and work with comm 10.

Chuck

cvlrs2000 wrote:

chuck, the bad controller is in my house where it is warm. I have taken my laptop out to one controller in the yard and everything works fine. I come back inside and will not find it. the red light stays on like it is connected but computer will not find it so I can change the id.

With that controller the only one connect to the PC, If you have already tried the Change Unit ID from "Any Unit" to "new value" and are getting an error then try clicking the Ignore Error box above the Change Unit ID.

Now you will not be sure if the Unit ID was changed BUT you can type the Unit ID into the box to the right of the Refresh button and try to test it OR stop the Hardware Utility program and run a sequence in the Sequence Editor and see if it works.

If you cannot get it to work then open a trouble ticket: http://lightorama.com/support/

Dan

Dan, I tried what you said to do about the ignore error buttons. I then went to the sequence editor and it would not control the number 14 items, but it would control the controller 1 items. It looks like it is stuck with id #1 and wont change, and it still will not come up in the hardware. Is there another way to fix this??? I don't mind putting it out as #1 right know but I would like to have the option of changing it later.
Thanks to everyone that has been trying to help.

Jeremy

cmoore60 wrote:

Scott,

After you plug in the USB cable examine the devices on your computer. Start>Control Panel> System then on the upper right Device manager. Look to see what comm port was assigned to your USB adapter.

For instance my windows 7 assigned it at comm 10. LOR has a problem for a comm port over some number. For the life of me I cannot remember what is the highest comm port that LOR will support.

If the comm port assigned to your adapter is over 10. I would try to change the port number 10 or lower. The only reason I say 10...is because I know that LOR will find and work with comm 10.

Chuck
Chuck thats is i see it in the bottom of the usb port pile how do i re-assign it?
Scot

cmoore60 wrote:

Scott,

Chuck

The Hardwaer Utility cannot handle comm ports higher than COMM16... The Sequence Editor can handle higher port numbers. s

i borrowed scott stucks cable and tested it and when i plugged it in m y computer it reset the comm i now have connectivtiy to my lor boards wierd.

ok that did not work because now that cable does not work I got a email from the help desk at lor and suggested that i reload the usb drivers when i tried that i got an error c:usersscot meyersdesktopCDM20600.exe is not a valid win 32 application
any one got any ideas