Light-O-Rama Forums

Should all firmware be updated to current?

Tom B.

Hi All,

I hesitate to fiddle with "it's working" at this moment. But, should Firmware be updated to current on all units?

Thanks,

T.

Tom, if you are happy with how things are working currently, and they meet your needs I would suggest leaving things alone, until after your display season is over.

Greg

I think I was wondering what features are in the "updates" that aren't in the firmware I currently have installed:

• What version comes with Fade/Twinkle?
  • Do some firmware versions handle LEDs better?
  • other things I'm not aware of?

T.

Tom B. wrote:

I think I was wondering what features are in the "updates" that aren't in the firmware I currently have installed:

• What version comes with Fade/Twinkle?
  • Do some firmware versions handle LEDs better?
  • other things I'm not aware of?

T.

A different opinion.

I always keep all of my controllers and accessories, (AC, DC, CCR, ELL, directors, etc) updated with the most current firmware version.

You asked about some effects, and yes firmware updates have fixed, implemented, and/or improved them, but you didn't mention which controllers you have or their current firmware versions. So your question can't be answered, since we don't know what you have now.

So my answer to your question of "Should all firmware be updated to current?" my answer is why not?

JBullard wrote:

Tom B. wrote:

What version comes with Fade/Twinkle?
Do some firmware versions handle LEDs better?
other things I'm not aware of?

T.

A different opinion.

I always keep all of my controllers and accessories, (AC, DC, CCR, ELL, directors, etc) updated with the most current firmware version.

You asked about some effects, and yes firmware updates have fixed, implemented, and/or improved them, but you didn't mention which controllers you have or their current firmware versions. So your question can't be answered, since we don't know what you have now.

So my answer to your question of "Should all firmware be updated to current?" my answer is why not?

I have mine updated, but then it's been a while since a new firmware has come out for the PC controller other than ones like 4.40 that isn't relevant. But I don't think I'd even think about updating this time of year, unless I did them one at a time and had a spare controller.

DavidPeterson wrote:

I have mine updated, but then it's been a while since a new firmware has come out for the PC controller other than ones like 4.40 that isn't relevant. But I don't think I'd even think about updating this time of year, unless I did them one at a time and had a spare controller.

Current PC controller firmware is 4.32, except for more recent boards which is 4.40.

Before I take any controller out in the yard, I "bench test" it first. Then check the firmware for updates, so only doing one at a time.

And yes, every since 2007, I have kept a spare controller on the shelf for emergencies.

Can you even download 4.32? All I see is 4.30 on the download page. I think I do have one on 4.32, but I think that is a replacement I got from LOR when I had a repair. I have one on 4.30, one on 4.32 and one 4.40.

DavidPeterson wrote:

Can you even download 4.32? All I see is 4.30 on the download page. I think I do have one on 4.32, but I think that is a replacement I got from LOR when I had a repair. I have one on 4.30, one on 4.32 and one 4.40.

No need to go to the support page. It is included with the 2.8.x software.

Open the Hardware Utility..

Click on firmware

In step 2, leave the filename blank

Click on OPEN

A new window will open with a list of firmware files, 4.32 is listed

Select your controller model, click on OPEN

Then continue with the firmware update.