Light-O-Rama Forums

PC kits.

94-302-vert

Channels 1-8 not working on two boards and one board has channed 9 out.

What components do I need to look at/check solder joints on for each? All 3 boards power up and assign the channed appropriately. The Fuses are good, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

Have you powered the left side of the boards? Depending on the options you purchased, you will need either two power cables, or one power cable and links between the two sides.

The power cable to the right side of the board powers that side only and the electronics for the whole board.

Regards,

Alan.

The 16PC kits need both sides powered, so plug in cords for each bank.

Also check reeeeeally carefully that you oriented the DIP resistors correctly. Did you check for any cold solder joints on that one channel? It's really easy to skip/miss one leg of a triac when soldering (dont ask how I know this ;) )

Both sides are powered and I verified with a volt meter.... I also Ohmed out the fuses and both are good....

Is there any one component that if I have a bad joint it will kill half the board? If not I'll have to reflow everything....

Yep.

And one of these boards was working before I had to remount it. So I am really thinking a cold solder joint. What component or components can cause half the board to not work... ?

94-302-vert wrote:

And one of these boards was working before I had to remount it. So I am really thinking a cold solder joint. What component or components can cause half the board to not work... ?

Have you looked at the LOR Trouble Shooting guide?

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/Kit_Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf

94-302-vert wrote:

Thanks!!!!

I looked earlier but somehow didn't find this. I think this tells me where to look....

Chris

Bottom of page 3 and top page 4, good luck!

I just built my 1st board this past weekend. Makes me wish I had built the other 3. I to had channel 9 out. Turns out I had missed soldering one pin on u12 (6 pin ic). Once soldered all was good.

My point here is that I checked that board over 3 times to make sure there were no bridges, or missed connections. Still, I missed one. It's easy to do. Check it again for the missing channel. As far as 1/2 the board, you either have no power to it, or something is installed backwards (or fried).

Good luck.

--Mike

Well my bad channel is due to the power pin on the opto not having a good joint to the board. I am going to use a tracer wire to bypass it.

As for the other two boards (half boards out) I reflowed each joint that had a specific piece on that side of the board and they both work now... (tested last night) so I am good to blink on Friday once I get everything wired and assigned...

Thanks All...