Light-O-Rama Forums

iDMX not found now?

medman2000

Ok, let me preface this by saying I've successfully used iDMX for a few years, and used this current setup at Halloween just fine. Now hardware utility can't find it, and I can't force the use of it by entering in the ID number. Need someone to think of something i'm missing please!

number of units is set to highest when refreshing - I find my current 12 controllers but not iDMX. iDMX is unit #70 like it always has been. Typically (like halloween) the hardware utility found it fine.

The status light is solid on one side and blinking on the other (like normal). I hooked up iDMX as only item on network and still can't find it (which included trying a few different cat5e cables even though the solid light would suggest they are connecting).

not that it matters I suppose, but plugging in my DMX fixtures didn't change anything.

I tried a reset of the idmx and didn't help.

Please tell me I'm missing something obvious?

Thanks for any help!

Downloaded firmware and that seems to have fixed it. Not sure why i needed to - exactly the same controllers/hardware/laptop/sequence worked on halloween and not tonight - but at least it is working now.

I have had this happen myself quite a few times, and in helping others as well. I do not know why, but here is how I fixed it.

If the HDU does not find the iDMX:

Change the iDMX ID back to E0, then change it back to the ID you had.

This seems to reset the iDMX somehow, and it is good to go.

zman wrote:

I have had this happen myself quite a few times, and in helping others as well. I do not know why, but here is how I fixed it.

If the HDU does not find the iDMX:

Change the iDMX ID back to E0, then change it back to the ID you had.

This seems to reset the iDMX somehow, and it is good to go.

How do you change the ID of the IDMX back to E0 if the hardware utility cannot find it?

Did you figure out why your USB485B died in Chicago, was it an issue with pins that power the IDMX?

Does the USB485B will still work when plugged into a controller, something that doesn't require power from the network cable?

Tim, How have you been?

I KNEW I should be more explicit when I sent this off.

Only have the iDMX hooked up. In the HDU in the lower left corner, "Change Existing IDs" set the values in the top selection box to "Any Unit" the lower selection box to "E0" and then push the "Change Unit ID" button. Do the same to change the ID back to what you had it set as.

Not sure what toasted the USB485B in Chicago, but LOR fixed it.

Not sure what you are looking for on the last question. The US485B powers the iDMX so that you don't require a 12v power plug for the iDMX. In that case the USB485B is getting power off the USB bus and feeding it to the iDMX.

The next 10 days is "Hell Week" for me. I am off work and in the yard. And it is supposed to be COLD and snowy. Unusual for this time of year in Seattle.

zman wrote:

Tim, How have you been?

I KNEW I should be more explicit when I sent this off.

Not sure what toasted the USB485B in Chicago, but LOR fixed it.

Not sure what you are looking for on the last question. The US485B powers the iDMX so that you don't require a 12v power plug for the iDMX. In that case the USB485B is getting power off the USB bus and feeding it to the iDMX.

The next 10 days is "Hell Week" for me. I am off work and in the yard. And it is supposed to be COLD and snowy. Unusual for this time of year in Seattle.

Hi Mark, things are good here, I am very busy with work but the weather has been fairly nice so work on the display is mostly on schedule... I hope things go well is setting up your display and the weather stays favorable...

With the USB485B having to power the IDMX I was wondering if this is what happened to yours. After seeing the melted connector in that post, I am thinking about routing the cat5 to a controller first and then to the IDMX so the USB485B doesn't have to power it. What think ye?

• The topic was locked