Light-O-Rama Forums

I have a problem and need a quick solution

Austen

Austen wrote:

But, where I need the short extension cords, I can't use indoor, because they would be in the open flowerbed. So they'll get wet, and I'd rather not take that chance. ha

is there really any difference? at both ends you have basically the same plugs.

The vampire plugs we use on SPT2 are HARDLY weather resistance. lol

Attached files 221077=12251-vampire plugs.jpg

JBullard wrote:

Austen wrote:
But, where I need the short extension cords, I can't use indoor, because they would be in the open flowerbed. So they'll get wet, and I'd rather not take that chance. ha

95% of us use "indoor" cords outside for our lighting displays, in rain, snow or sun. No problems.

In fact, the SPT wire and plugs/sockets we use to build our own cords with, is only "indoor" rated.

I assumed most people do use them, but I just thought it would be safer to use ones made for outdoors. Now thinking about it, my strobes are on SPT wire, and they are outside in the flowerbeds, roof, etc. So far no problems.

Anyway, this is how I fixed my problem:

I needed a queer. haha I took the male end of one strand, the male end of another strand, connected them on an adapter, and ran an extension cord from the adapter to the controller.

I needed one extension cord from the lights to the adapter, and 1 extension cord for the adapter to the controller. If this makes sense.

I did end up using 3 indoor cords, then I had enough outdoor.

Tested all the lights last night, only a few sections not working. So I'm headed out now to fix them. :)

Paul Roberson wrote:

You could have used a old set of lights to make a extension cord out of it. : )

Thought of that! I actually have several old sets just laying around. But, I didn't want to pluck all the lights out, cuz then I would have to cover them all. And I didn't want them lighting up, because they weren't the same color.

Say I did take all the lights out of a strand, would the power even go through the strand? I didn't think it would, since there isn't something "pulling" or using the power through the cord.

Austen,

Just for you, I did some research to find the solution to your original question and problem. A special 12 foot extension cord that fits into the female end of one light string and allows a second light string to be plugged in.

Their website:

http://www.elkord.com/

Videos of how to use:

JBullard wrote:

Austen,

Just for you, I did some research to find the solution to your original question and problem. A special 12 foot extension cord that fits into the female end of one light string and allows a second light string to be plugged in.

Their website:

http://www.elkord.com/

Videos of how to use:

Awesome! I really needed a few of these this year. I will definitely be buying some next year.