Light-O-Rama Forums

I have a problem and need a quick solution

Austen

Greetings!

Here is my situation:

I'm running an extension cord, to the END of a 100 mini light set. The outdoor extension cord is 3 pronged, the female end of the light cord is 2. I have many many 3 to 2 prong adapters. BUT, the 2 prong side of the adapter is big and small, and the female end of the lights is small small. So they don't fit.

This problem is with 6 plugs. And for some reason, I can't find a solution. Any ideas on how I can get around this?

I went to home depot, and all of their adapters are 3to 2 big, small.

It seems as if the outdoor cords/lights are small, and the indoor cords/lights are big small. Is this purposely planned so you don't use indoor things outdoors? Just an observation I made.

Thank you,
Austen

While I don't advocate this, you could grind down the wide neuteral blade of a 3 to 2 cheater to fit in the end of a light string female socket

Austen wrote:

JBullard wrote:
While I don't advocate this, you could grind down the wide neuteral blade of a 3 to 2 cheater to fit in the end of a light string female socket

Any.. safer way?

Yes, do not try to connect a 3 prong extension cord to the 2 prong female end of a light string :P

You could cut off the female end of the light cord and replace with an after market 3 prong female socket, ....... however, I would not advise anyone to do this either, .....especially if they do not have a good working knowledge of electricity and how to wire things - ( Safely)

Austen wrote:

JBullard wrote:

Any.. safer way?

I did the same as Mr. Bullard...if the lights needed to be plugged in a certain way (wide male to wide female), then they would have had that...so I did not see it as a safety issue filing the fat prong down...especially since the male end of the light string does not have one.

If I read this right...you are running the power to the FEMALE end of the light strings right? If so, what are you doing with the MALE end? You certainly don't want two "hot" prongs exposed for some kid to pick up...

jimswinder wrote:

Austen wrote:
JBullard wrote:

Any.. safer way?

I did the same as Mr. Bullard...if the lights needed to be plugged in a certain way (wide male to wide female), then they would have had that...so I did not see it as a safety issue filing the fat prong down...especially since the male end of the light string does not have one.

If I read this right...you are running the power to the FEMALE end of the light strings right? If so, what are you doing with the MALE end? You certainly don't want two "hot" prongs exposed for some kid to pick up...

The male end is going to the controller.

Austen wrote:

ohhhh....got it.

Why not make your own extension cord out of some SPT2 (Lamp Cord) and some vampire plugs...then you would not have to worry about the ground plug or the wide prong.

jimswinder wrote:

Austen wrote:

ohhhh....got it.

Why not make your own extension cord out of some SPT2 (Lamp Cord) and some vampire plugs...then you would not have to worry about the ground plug or the wide prong.

Isn't spt2 wire expensive? I didn't think home depot carried it.. I could be wrong though. I just don't have time to order anything. I was hoping to get this problem resolved today.

Austen wrote:

Isn't spt2 wire expensive? I didn't think home depot carried it.. I could be wrong though. I just don't have time to order anything. I was hoping to get this problem resolved today.

Home Depot has it...what kind of length(s) are we talking?

$39.00 for a spool of 250'

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh8/R-202206453/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

and I am sure they sell it by the foot also

JBullard wrote:

SPT plugs are also polarized, one blade wider then the other.

you're right...forgot I had to file those down to fit into my Christmas Light Strings...

so back to filing down what you got , I guess...

Maybe I'm missing something, but are you saying that the male connector on the light string is going to be connected to an LOR Controller channel and the female end is going to be connected to an energized extension cord?

What function are you trying to accomplish with the extension cord that goes to the female socket on the lights?

Thanks, Randy

Randy wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but are you saying that the male connector on the light string is going to be connected to an LOR Controller channel and the female end is going to be connected to an energized extension cord?

What function are you trying to accomplish with the extension cord that goes to the female socket on the lights?

Thanks, Randy

That is what I thought...but no...he is wanting to ADD an extension cord to the female end of the light string which the male end is plugged into the controller dongle...

I would imagine he is wanting to plug in another set of lights farther away from the end of the first string

I love how I'm confusing everyone. haha

Jimswinder, you are correct. I'm connecting the same colors on 2 pillars. So red on one pillar connected to the other pillar red, blue, green, white, etc.

I'm just going to file it down. I think that's the easiest, cheapest, way to go.

In the future I might make some of my own cords. Yesterday, I went to some stores trying to find short outdoor extension cords. They don't make 3 ft. outdoor cords. Or that short, the shortest is like 25 ft. Oh well.

Thanks for the help. And suggestions. I truly appreciate it. :P

Austen wrote:

Jimswinder, you are correct. I'm connecting the same colors on 2 pillars. So red on one pillar connected to the other pillar red, blue, green, white, etc.

I'm just going to file it down. I think that's the easiest, cheapest, way to go.

In the future I might make some of my own cords. Yesterday, I went to some stores trying to find short outdoor extension cords. They don't make 3 ft. outdoor cords. Or that short, the shortest is like 25 ft. Oh well.

Since you've said what your application is, then the easiest solution is use a triple tap plugged into the controller output dongle, then you can plug two or three extension cords or light strings into that channel. No filing necessary

Short outdoor rated cords? I have 2, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 20 foot cords as well as much longer. They are made. Might not be worth the effort to find this late as you are putting up your display now, but keep your eyes open everytime you are in a store throughout the year.

JBullard wrote:

Austen wrote:

Since you've said what your application is, then the easiest solution is use a triple tap plugged into the controller output dongle, then you can plug two or three extension cords or light strings into that channel. No filing necessary

Short outdoor rated cords? I have 2, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 20 foot cords as well as much longer. They are made. Might not be worth the effort to find this late as you are putting up your display now, but keep your eyes open everytime you are in a store throughout the year.

I thought about that.. But I don't have enough cords to do this. (And I really can't afford anything else right now. I've already spent way to much on lights this year.)

Interesting. I've never seen them that short.

Austen wrote:

Yesterday, I went to some stores trying to find short outdoor extension cords. They don't make 3 ft. outdoor cords.:P

Are you running LED's or Incandescents?

Either way, you could probably get away with one of those short brown or white 3' "indoor" cords...

jimswinder wrote:

Austen wrote:
Yesterday, I went to some stores trying to find short outdoor extension cords. They don't make 3 ft. outdoor cords.:P

Are you running LED's or Incandescents?

Either way, you could probably get away with one of those short brown or white 3' "indoor" cords...

Incan.

On another part of the pillars, that's what I'm doing. Because its sheltered, I think it will be fine.

Austen wrote:

But, where I need the short extension cords, I can't use indoor, because they would be in the open flowerbed. So they'll get wet, and I'd rather not take that chance. ha

95% of us use "indoor" cords outside for our lighting displays, in rain, snow or sun. No problems.

In fact, the SPT wire and plugs/sockets we use to build our own cords with, is only "indoor" rated.