Light-O-Rama Forums

Daisy Chain USB485's?

colonel

I'm nervous to try this, so has anyone done this?

2 computers each with a usb485, a cable connecting the usb485's, one usb hooked to a linker, the other to a wired network.

This would allow me to control/program from either computer? One plays the show, I see a mistake and make the change on the other computer, Windows Live Sync sends corrected sequence to show computer.

colonel wrote:

I'm nervous to try this, so has anyone done this?

2 computers each with a usb485, a cable connecting the usb485's, one usb hooked to a linker, the other to a wired network.

This would allow me to control/program from either computer? One plays the show, I see a mistake and make the change on the other computer, Windows Live Sync sends corrected sequence to show computer.

From the sound of it it may work, but I think it will require 2 linkers not just one. Not unless you are connecting the hard wired network that would be hard wired to the secondary system, then I couldn't see a need for the wireless linker. If using wireless, I'd think you'd need 2 linkers, one on each network to talk back and forth to each other (primary to secondary system).

At least this is how I am understanding what you're trying to do.

I now use a desktop to do my major sequencing, but use the laptop to make changes and I do it all over my home network via wireless and a router that has wireless capability. I do this by making all the LOR folders on the desktop as "SHARED FOLDERS" on my network and are accessible on my laptop from the front yard or whereever I need to connect the laptop to make changes. I just disconnect my USB485 from whichever computer I don't need it on and connect it to (usually the laptop) to make changes outside where I can watch and see what any change I make does to the display.

I even update my hardware/firmware the same way, never had an issue with doing this. And I'm using a laptop with 256M of ram and a 12Gb Hard Drive, Win XP Home and all current updates and service packs. And the latesrt LOR releases. It can even run my shows, but I use the LOR MP3 Showtime Director for that.