Light-O-Rama Forums

I'm no electrician, but...

Guest guest

llbarnes wrote:

Question. Not that it's not important, but if a grounding bar is as important as everyone is saying, why do they not install one in the box??

Just wondering. Thanks

An electrician told me once that the bar is entirely optional because of the different configurations of the box itself. According to him, you can change the size of the bar (number of contacts) for the application, and in some areas, what was done above (twisting the wires together into a big knot) is acceptable for a sub-panel. Keeping in mind, one of those wires (#4 or #6 for 100 amp box) needs to go to the main and connect there.

llbarnes wrote:

Question. Not that it's not important, but if a grounding bar is as important as everyone is saying, why do they not install one in the box??

Not sure. But they have provisions for it, and they sell them alongside the boxes for < $5...

My guess is that if you had a very small building, such as a cabin, this sort of box could be a main service panel, and in that case you wouldn't need the separate grounding bus. But in actuality, it's probably just a way to keep costs looking lower.

-Tim

Thanks guys. It's just odd that #1, it doesn't come with the grounding bar, and #2 that I have to drill holes to accomadate for a grounding bar.

I'll be getting one of those wire clamps regardless.

Thanks

llbarnes wrote:

#2 that I have to drill holes to accomadate for a grounding bar.

Really? The subpanels I've put in have had a place where they go, with predrilled holes and a little raised indentions so the screw doesn't go further than the back panel...

-Tim

Well, it's a NEMA 3 box too... Something tells me that the box you purchased is most likely for exterior applications like pool pumps or A/C units... Hence, no place to put a ground...

The reason is, the panel can be used for a main service panel, and when used for a service you land all the neutral and ground at the same place ( neutral bar ), beside they get more of your money when you have to purchase a ground bar.

Here a another one, when we purchase transfomer they do not come with lug to hook up the wires.

llbarnes wrote:

Hmm, QO Load Center with Rainproof door is what it says.

YeaY! Square D! I love Square D... :)

Yeah, I didn't think it as being used as a main load center. But, that makes perfect sense...

Why are the lugs missing on the transformer? That's uber strange....

Here's another one. Why does it always rain right after I wash my car?