Light-O-Rama Forums

Testing Triac's Opto chips

gizmomkr

Trying to track down the source of a bad channel.

I had checked all the various loads with standard outlet JUST prior to connecting to controllers. This particular channel has nothing but rope light (short pieces) drawing just less than 1 amp on each channel. All the electrical is off the ground, the rope its self is off the ground - so I dont think its a water or GFCI issue.

I am about to go test the rope again to confirm its not shorting.

Then I plan to go check the triac & the opto chip. I dont know exactly what voltages I SHOULD see on ethier part. And I know I have seen threads in the past.

Can anyone point me to agood thread for info on what to look for on the varoius pins

OBVIOUSLY the pin connecting to the spade should have 120v AC when active - I allreday know tha pin is NOT putting out that voltage.

gizmomkr wrote:

Trying to track down the source of a bad channel.

I had checked all the various loads with standard outlet JUST prior to connecting to controllers. This particular channel has nothing but rope light (short pieces) drawing just less than 1 amp on each channel. All the electrical is off the ground, the rope its self is off the ground - so I dont think its a water or GFCI issue.

I am about to go test the rope again to confirm its not shorting.

Then I plan to go check the triac & the opto chip. I dont know exactly what voltages I SHOULD see on ethier part. And I know I have seen threads in the past.

Can anyone point me to agood thread for info on what to look for on the varoius pins

OBVIOUSLY the pin connecting to the spade should have 120v AC when active - I allreday know tha pin is NOT putting out that voltage.

Can't you just check against another working channel or even another working board?

I removed the text. I had some volt taking steps listed but then tried it myself on a working board in a working case and realized that it was not a "comfortable" thing for most folks to try. Very crowded and the possibility of shock or damage is higher than I can recommend.

The troubleshooting guide seems to only cover issues with the board as a whole.

I suppose there is a chance a "reset" will clear it, but it seems like a triac / opto / or solder issue. When I assembled the boards in the spring, I would solder 1 leg of the opto chip from the top. Just enough to make the chip stay, untill I had 8 in place - then I flpped the board, and soldered all the pins.

I suspect given my 'method' its easy to see where I could have missed an opto chip. Its just really hard to see the bottom of the board right now - so I'd rather test from the PIC to the opto chip, then finally the triac. Just because I can hit all those points without unhooking everything.

I had planned to simply compare the various voltages to the surrounding channels, but if someone KNOWS what SHOULD be on the pin's it saves me some guess work. The Triac's arent too bad to 'guess' at. limited choices with 3 pins. I dont have a board in front of me, but pretty sure the opto chips are 6 (or maybe 8) pins. thats a lot more possible combinations.

I am using the PC series kit form on the boards, but I would expect the triacs and opto's testing voltages to be the same.

The output from the micro could be 5 volts or 0 DC. I don't know which one is on or off but it should toggle when you change the state of the channel.

The voltage on pins 1 & 2 of the opto is about 1.2 volts DC when the channel is on. The voltage on pins 4 & 6 about 1.3 volts AC when its on but pin 6 is most likely connected to 120 volts so be careful when checking it.

If these check out then its most likely the TRIAC. If the TRIAC is bad, the opto could be also.

I don't know what your electronics ability is but if you fry your board, you did it not me. Also if you kill yourself, I don't want to know.:?

Ernie,

Thanks - thats the info I was looking for.

I dont quite follow one line of your post "The voltage on pins 4 & 6 about 1.3 volts AC when its on but pin 6 is most likely connected to 120 volts so be careful when checking it"

Are you saying between pin 4 and pin 6 should be 1.3 vac, and pin 6 and ground is 120 vac ? or voltage between 4 and ground is 1.3 and between 6 and ground is 1.3 - unless the circuit is off, then its 120?

As for knoledge : Im good with basic circuitry. I have plenty of experience with DVM and logic probe. I know what NOT to touch (that doesnt always mean I follow my own advise. ) I have written some of my own code for Paralax stamps. But almost all my stuff is low voltage - when I have to drive high voltage, I usually just switch a relay, sometimes an ssr.
I have never built anything with A triac.