Light-O-Rama Forums

Are you an electrician?

Austen

Electrician: No but have learned to respect and fear electricty!

IT: Yes for 14 + years

TJ - I bet you just hang out all day with the plane on Auto Pilot with your Coffe and Laptop at 35,000 feet. Sequencing away till its time to land.

-----------------------------

And for what tis worth - I'm also in I.T.

But my love for christmas lights came from the Christmas vacation sort of videos.

gizmomkr wrote:

TJ - I bet you just hang out all day with the plane on Auto Pilot with your Coffe and Laptop at 35,000 feet. Sequencing away till its time to land.

Ok, who told on me??!! :) I always stop when we start down from cruise altitude!! You know those pesky electrons mess up the plane's electronics! :P

Guest Don Gillespie

Austen wrote And obviously people don't know how this is done. My parents first thought people were plugging in the lights then unplugging them to the music! haha

you mean you don't have to do this I guess I should tell my wife she can quit now, she has frozen shoulder and can't seem to keep up with the timing any more

And no I am not an electrician but I aint scared to try anything once are u sure u can't use cat 5 cable fer extension cords :P

One of the last post took the words right out of my mouth......

Jack of all trades, Master of none. However, I really do believe that those installing lights of this magnitude should know basic electricity. If overloading isn't avoided all of our insurance rates will go up due to those individuals trying to run 110 volt lights on cat5 cable. But back to the question. I built and wired my own home. As well as the wiring of three other homes and a garage. Oh, and a good part of our local football field house. None have burnt down yet. Nor has anyone been electrocuted. Because of this obsession with lights, I installed a 100amp subpanel in the garage this summer. The green grounding screw was removed.......

Austen wrote:

Yea last year I was shocked 8 times.

This year I'm up to 2.

It's sad when people hope you beat your record.

The reality is that getting an electric shock is a serious deal, this can cause you to die well after the event due to a number of effects that may have happened from the electric shock itself. So always show lots of caution.

All i have to say is that you guys are lucky that your dealing with 110 volts instead of 240 volts so getting a shock isnt as serious as what it is here in Australia.

It does amaze me what some people do with their mains voltage when they dont understand the principles or real hazards.

And by the way im an electrician and i havent had an electric shock in over 25 years (i did when i was an apprentice) because all you have to follow is 2 simple words

ISOLATE AND VERIFY

(i know its actually 3 words)

The new direction for a lot of people is the use of low voltage DC, this is a much better and safer voltage for the hobby and is perfect for running LEDs

I've been shocked a few times, but so far, never from my own work. I think the last time was an old black and white photo enlarger. I don't think I ever figured out exactly how it bit me, but I had been reaching over to do something, but it has been so many decades that I don't remember if it was a flaw in the lamp cord insulation, or if part of the lighting housing somehow wound up hot...

TJ Hvasta wrote:

gizmomkr wrote:

Ok, who told on me??!! :) I always stop when we start down from cruise altitude!! You know those pesky electrons mess up the plane's electronics! ;)

So I'm not the only one programming on airplanes. I quickly do my call reports and then start programming. I love the west coast trips, that gives me about 4 hours or 1/3 of a song.

Really?? I do a lot of PHX-PHL or PHX-CLTs.. Perfect length for working on them! I figure I can get one done on a 4day trip! :) If I could figure out how to run my soldering iron in the cockpit, I'd be building my boards too :)

I'm kidding of course!! There's not enough room to spread out all the parts ;)

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Really?? I do a lot of PHX-PHL or PHX-CLTs.. Perfect length for working on them! I figure I can get one done on a 4day trip! :) If I could figure out how to run my soldering iron in the cockpit, I'd be building my boards too :)

I'm kidding of course!! There's not enough room to spread out all the parts ;)

I solder my boards in the hotel room on my trips. I do get the look from TSA when I do take the pc boards with me.

I work for the US Dept of Energy. I am not a licensed electrician. I am a safety supervisor and I do work with technology.

I have been asked if I am electrician as well. My Grandfather taught himself the trade and wired the community where he lived in the winters to help with his ranching income. As to being shocked my Grandfather would touch the wires to see if it was 110 or 220. I always thought he was nuts for doing that. I have been bit a few times over the years. It has been a long time since that has happened. All the training and responsibility has taught me a few things and safety is a big deal.

If you do not understand what you are working with you are taking your life into your own hands when it comes to electricity. That being said it is complacency that often kills. You have done it a million times and gotten away with it and bam it gets you.

I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. I've worked with electrical most of my life and give it it's due respect. I myself can't stand to pay someone else to it if I feel comfortable tackling the job myself. Every job or project is a learning opportunity or practice existing skills.