Light-O-Rama Forums

Are you an electrician?

Austen

I'm not an electrician, and have never heard that comment made, regarding the setup and operation of a show.

I have seen many references advising the poster of a question that has no apparent knowledge of electricity to seek competent assistance (electrician) especially when the question regards modification of or to the homes main breaker box.

Out of the LOR enthusiasts I know personally, only one is a licensed electrician. But more than half are IT professionals of one sort or another...

I too have heard the electrician comment more than once...

I'm glad my sister is dating an electrician. Because I really needed the extra plugs he was able to put in for my show!

I'm actually debating whether I want to become an electrician or not..

But, not all of us are electricians. Good to know.

Well, I've been shocked before, does that count? ;)

I build cabinets but I'm not a carpenter,
I fix pipes in my house but I'm not a plumber,
I fix wiring in my house but I'm not a electrician,
I paint my house but I'm not a painter,
I replace roof tiles, patch sidewalks, grow and mow grass, fix holes in drywall, replace brakes, carbs, batteries, water pumps... what am I? :?

Answer: a homeowner.. being able to do those things doesn't make me a pro tho.

Do we do those things ourselves because we're cheap? Nope, it's because we can.. I'm pretty sure if we have something that needs to be to Code, or signed off, we do it (if we can), and have it inspected, or we call in someone that can do it.. I do nearly everything in the house except HVAC.. Freon I dont mess with..

I havent heard "you have to be an electrician to do those shows".. Do you mean someone asks "oh, you simply muuuust be an electrician to be able to do those things, dahling...? :P

I think Scott and TJ's response was the best :P

In similar fashion: I am not certified or licensed for ANYTHING. But, I have had an extreem interest in electronics since I was about 5. I had added outlets and ceiling fans around the house growing up. Somewhere around age 21 I started working with 3 phase AC, generators and larger scale power distribution.

I know people I wouldnt trust to jump start a car using LOR with great success - But they got a showtime controller, and use store bought extension cords.

My first setup was totally home grown with some scarry looking clump of wires pc060020_0.jpg

I think one of the greatest things about LOR is the "Something for Everyone" appeal. I LOVE the kits and the soldering and splicing and making my OWN this and THAT. and I LOVE showing the guy down the street how he can oder a spool of zip cord and save hundreds off buying extension cords.

The folks that are NOT evil mad scientists are going to be fine using stuff out of the box, and those that can will dive into things that they feel comfortable with.

I am tempted to say having the knoledge makes it a bit cheaper (make your own cords, buy controllers in kit form, crimp your own cat-5, add your own outlets and sub pannels) But you just end up spending whatever you saved on something else. So its sort of a curse.

The danger comes when one someone without any konledge or understanding sees / reads / hears about something, and decides to run with it without understanding - The best example that comes to mind was a post to this board "Can I use Cat-5 as an extension cord" . Thank god they asked BEFORE they tried because they would have burned down there yard / house.

This person had no experience with electricity, had probably seen a post about making your own cords, and noticed Cat-5 is REALLY cheap in 1000ft spools. But they probably wouldnt have ever considered it, if they had not been reading about vampire plugs and SPT.

When someone WITH the knoledge realizes someone WITHOUT the knoledge is getting close to doing something stupid, then you see "YOU SOULD CONSULT AN ELECTRICIAN" because thats a much nicer way of saying "STOP YOU IDIOTT, YOUR GOING TO KILL YOURSELF!"

I didn't mean it like, if your not an electrician, you can't do them. I just hear people say that there isn't a way for anyone to do this, that they probably have to wire the house specially, buy certain lights, etc etc etc.

I proved them wrong.

And obviously people don't know how this is done. My parents first thought people were plugging in the lights then unplugging them to the music! haha

But people assume that us, Christmas light show freaks, are electricians or know someone. True in some cases. But most of us can do the majority of it ourselves.

Austen wrote:

And obviously people don't know how this is done. My parents first thought people were plugging in the lights then unplugging them to the music! haha

Good thing I just put down my coffee, I wudda sprayed from that one LOL!!

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Austen wrote:

Good thing I just put down my coffee, I wudda sprayed from that one LOL!!

haha As long as you don't get the controllers wet, your good. ;D