Light-O-Rama Forums

I am going to commit a murder

kzaas

I was doing some sequencing last night for my CCR's and decided to use macros for part of the sequence, since the visualizer doesn't support macro's yet I needed to have my CCR's out and plugged in to see the results. I got done sequencing late last night and left the CCR's on my end table coiled up and plugged into the controllers.

When I got up this morning and started powering everything back up one of the ribbons lit right up with out a sequence running. I tried resetting the controller and even redownloading the firmware. I then tried the ribbon on the other controller but still had the same problem. I inspected the ribbon but all I found was that end of the ribbon by pixal 1 wasn't sealed but It hasn't been near moisture so that shouldn't be a problem.

So I took a break for a while and calmed down due to the closeness of the upcoming lightup day and then decidided to take a closer look at the ribbon. This is when I decided to commit a murder:shock:. That ribbon seal was broken and there where very small teeth marks:( in the ribbon circuit board and what looks like possible moisture inside the silicon cover.

So this pretty much detroyed pixal 1, but I was wondering could I just cut off pixal one and use it as a 49 pixal ribbon? I am pretty sure I don't need to worry about voiding the warranty since the dog already took care of that

I believe you would have to cut off more then one. Don't have mine handy right now to look at, but if I remember right, each IC chip on the ribbon controls 3 pixels.

3 RGB LED's and one I/C chip makeup a pixal. So you are right in your thinking but not terminology, I'm thinking should be able to cut right where the black line is.

You are correct!( should know better then to rely on memory at my age)

and normally the black line is a cut point

Each pixel in a CCR is individually adressed and they get that adress from the previous pixel. So if you cut a pixel out it will not make any difference except you now have 49 pixels. This also means that it doesnt matter what order the pixels go in as long as the input is the correct way.

I run 4 CCRs in a matrix using 48 pixels for each CCR with no issue, the remaining pixels are kept as spares.

JBullard wrote:

I believe you would have to cut off more then one. Don't have mine handy right now to look at, but if I remember right, each IC chip on the ribbon controls 3 pixels.

Each 3 LEDs is a pixel, A pixel is a controllable section of the strip so 3 LEDS make up 1 pixel. Each pixel is 100mm in length and consists of an IC, resistors, capacitors and 3 RGB 5050 LEDs. Only cut at the cut marks that join each pixel to each other

• The topic was locked