Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX noob... How exactly am I supposed to connect iDMX1000...?

ace_master

From what I see in diagrams all over the place, I'm supposed to plug my CAT 6 cable into one of the network plugs on the end of the IDMX1000... and when I do so... the blinking green light turns solid. But then I open up my light-o-rama hardware program to test out my new Rainbow Brains... but the Hardware program will not detect the iDMX.

I also tried connecting a CAT6 cable from the iDMX1000 to my CTB16PC, but only the CTB16PC is detected whenever I click 'refresh'.

I believe the standard unit ID on the iDMX is set to E0 from the factory, check to see what your max unit ID is set to in the hardware utility. The hardware utility is recognizing the iDMX by the fact the light goes solid. Hope that helps,

Bill

thank you bisquit... you were correct about my Max Unit ID being set too low... Now when I connect everything the iDMX is detected ( I changed its ID to Unit 10 for speedier searching in the hardware utility again).

Now when I connect my rainbow brain (via the DMX Out port through a dmx-RJ45 adapter)... my Rainbow Brains LED does not come on... It was lighting up yesterday when I was trying to get all of this going... It is connected to a 12v DC power supply. The heat sink on it is getting hot, so I know its getting power.

Are those from xmas on manor? If they are, check with Greg or download the user manual to see if the cat 5 wire ends need to have pins 1,2 and 4,5 swapped. I needed to do this with the iDMX and a Lynx controller.

Just so you are aware, the LED has nothing to do with receiving a DMX signal. If the LED is lit, it just means that power is applied and the boards software is up and running. If the LED was lit and is no longer lit, either the LED is dead or you do not have the power coming in correctly...meaning positive to positive and negative to negative.

I should also say that if the LED is dead, the board will still function as it should. Did you try to control your lights?

Also, remember, if you have the LOR XLR adapter...IT WILL NOT WORK with the Brain. LOR uses pins 4 and 5 to send the data signal while the DMX standard is to use pins 1 and 2, which is what the Brain uses.

Hey Greg!
I sent you the email today about this (I just responded to your reply).
I am not using the LOR adaptor... I bought my idmx from the owner of HolidayCoro. com, and he said the wiring should be plug-and play with the Rainbow system (see pic - orange & orange/white wires used).

IMG_0223.jpg

Power seems to go though the Brain just fine because the heat-sink and processor chip are hot to the touch after being connected for 15 mins.

When I scan for controllers, it says my iDMX is 16 Units... I assume the first one is where my brain is controlled. I have my brain set to channel 1 right now, and have gone through every 'unit' in LOR Hardware and tried turning my Flood on, but nothing is happening.

Like I said I'm a noob, but I'm learning.
Thanks, Rob

The problem ended up being a faulty power supply... It was pushing 19.5 Volts into the Brain and frying one of the chips.

Thanks for your help and patience Greg.

• The topic was locked