Light-O-Rama Forums

Color fading in LOR 2.8.10

brianfox

I am using an iDMX to control RGB flood lights.

In the sequencer, I have set up an RGB channel, and I have enabled iDMX Intensity settings. My lights are not responding to color fading when set to DMX.

First, I sequence my RGB flood to fade from Red to Blue. The fade region is set as "Regular" in the Color Fade tool. In real life, this fades perfectly.

I then change the fade region to be set as "DMX" in the Color Fade Tool. In real life, the flood stays Red throughout the fade, then suddenly changes to Blue.

I should note that it doesn't matter if the Red region preceding the fade is programmed as DMX with intensity 255 or Regular with intensity 100%. Having it set either way produces the same effect during the color fade.

Can any help me undersdtand what is going on?

There was a bug where DMX fades were not sent to controllers. This bug has been fixed (sort of) in version 2.8.12, so you might want to install that.

I say that it is "sort of" fixed because although version 2.8.12 does tell your lights to fade when you set up a DMX fade, it does so using standard LOR protocol, not DMX protocol (for example, a DMX 255-0 fade is actually sent as an LOR 100-0 fade). So, you won't get as fine-grained control as you might think you would.

This is because the hardware does not currently support DMX fades. However, if you set up your sequence now to use DMX fades, and at some point the hardware is changed to support them and you update your firmware, then that sequence will start sending "real" DMX fades instead of emulated ones.

Thanks for the reply Bob.

I could have found this out by reading the release notes, but I was lazy. I will update my software when I get home.

Please take a look at my post regarding X0 device IDs for DMX. While I now understand that it is a Legacy/native thing, I do think it is a bug that LOR let me change the ID to an invalid number (via Channel Property Grid), then changed it to a valid number without notifying me.

• The topic was locked