Light-O-Rama Forums

Stump The Band (Dan)?

matt_grooms

I would take a cheap generator over an expensive inverter any day. I just feel so much better about whats coming out of an alternator v.s. the process of DC to AC conversion. Every generator I have ever spec'd was much more efficient than an inverter of similar spec.

Glad to hear you solved your problem - Sorry to hear the inverter is wreaking more havoc.

And the long zero at zero crossing from the modified sine wave probably makes the killawatt very susceptible to any kind of unexpected behavior causing a false 2x reading..

But I am very glad to hear that just rerouting the USB cable appears to have solved the primary problem for now!

Thanks. Good food for thought.

A longer time spent at zero causing the 2X frequency readings...... Did you catch that the frequency reported with a direct connection to inverter output is 1X (59.5 hz)? Only when read from an LOR controller channel is it 2X (114 hz).

No biggie of course. Problem with RS486 does seem to be related to emf and can be managed somewhat. Longer term solution dictates a better mobile power source.

Am leaning towards a Honda EU6500iSA, super quiet, pure sine wave inverter generator. At $4000 it's not cheap, but probably not a bad long term investment.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2GG&modelname=EU6500ISA&modelid=EU6500ISA