Light-O-Rama Forums

Help - I fried my iDMX-1000 last night

heystew

I'm new to DMX so i'm sure this was user error, but I let the smoke out of my iDMX-1000 last night while testing some new things for this year. My guess is that it was because of my going from the 3 pin iDMX to a 5 pin device, then back to a 3 pin.
I've opened it up and can't see anything that is visually fried. when plugged directly to my USB485B there is no power led or other sign of life. A hardware search does not locate it.

If any one has any thoughts on what components may have blown I will try to resurrect it. I'll order another 1 or 2 in the mean time but hoping to get this back online asap so I can keep testing.
Thanks!

Did you actually see smoke? Are you sure your USB485B is working? Can you try hook the iDMX to a controller to see if it powers up that way?

If you tried those things and it still isn't working, chances are pretty good you are screwed...haha. Unfortunately because the iDMX is constructed with SMD you aren't going to be able to hope over to Radio Shack and pick up the pieces. Contact LOR and they will replace it for you.

:P

A little more detail... I did not see the smoke, but certainly did smell it.. definitely came from within the iDMX unit.

I had the following items connected together in this order:
1. USB485B interface
2. iDMX-1000
3. 3 pin male to 5 pin female dmx adapter cord
4. T3 controller from response-box.com for controlling RGB nodes
5. 5 pin male to 3 pin female adapter cord
6. American DJ - DJ Spot 250

after making all connections i applied power and never got any response from either dmx device. I am not sure at which point the smoke escaped.. whether it was at power on, or when trying to drive them from LOR.

One note, i have driven each of these devices independently. This was the first time chaining them together. i have since driven each of them independently with an external DMX controller, so the devices are intact.

Do you have any other LOR controllers? Did the iDMX smoke or did the USB485B?

I recently smoked a USB484B at the Chicagoland Mini. First one in 6 years.

If you have other LOR controllers, you can be sure that the USB is still good. If it is good, and you hook up the iDMX, first thing to check is if the Hardware Editor finds it. If not, that is the problem. Or if it finds it, see if it can drive any of the fixtures with the iDMX and the Hardware Console.

I don't have any controllers here at the house now, will try when i do. I did try running the iDMX connected to a standard USB485 with no luck.. not sure if it can power the iDMX though.

The T3 was powered separately via it's own power supply.

heystew wrote:

I don't have any controllers here at the house now, will try when i do. I did try running the iDMX connected to a standard USB485 with no luck.. not sure if it can power the iDMX though.

The T3 was powered separately via it's own power supply.

The USB458 will not power the IDMX but the USB485B will. Try applying 12 VDC to the IDMX.

Where are you located? One of the benefits of providing that in your profile is for situations like this, where someone may be around you who can assist by loaning you a controller for a test.

Update: it looks like it was the 485B that fried (although the iDMX sure smelled bad when i opened the case).
I've powered the iDMX directly and connected it to the pc using the same 485b and it appears to work (the hardware utility finds it). I don't have my DMX hardware handy to complete the test, but I'm guessing the power driver in the USB-485B is what go fried.
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

My usb485b had an ugly electrical burning smell testing my ells with my dc boards earlier today. It seems to still be working, but guess I better order another one to have on hand

• The topic was locked