Light-O-Rama Forums

cutting and inserting extensions between CCR pixels

Nixay

Hi,

For my project I'm looking to cut my CCRs into smaller sections and spread them around the front of the house. My question is, theoretically how long could one of these mid-ribbon extensions be before there might be problems with voltage drop or data being affected by noisy, unshielded cable.

The longest mid-ribbon extension I have planned would be about 10 metres (33 feet). Can I add 4 wires this length between CCR pixels without picking up problems?

Nixay.

Hopefully someone more technically inclined will give you an opinion.

BUT considering that the lead wire from the CCR controller is only about 2 meters (6 feet).

I would suspect you will have problems with a 10 meter extension, just seems way too far to me. If you have multiple extensions what is the farthest section off CCR ribbon (total length) you are trying to feed from the controller end?

Good luck.

There are a couple of considerations. One is voltage drop as you described but that can be mitigated by running a + and - wire of 18awg and tapping into it occasionally to booste power.

The major issue is the data signal. It works well at 6' but I believe that at 12' it will be marginal. The signal is regenerated at each pixel.

I do not believe that the lengths we want will work.

Dan

Hmm, ok. Sounds like some experimentation to fit my house is in order. Out of interest which wires are the 12V+ and 12V- and which ones are the data?

Nixay.

• 4 weeks later...

It does work. I just cut a ribbon in half, and soldered in a 7' extension. I've tested it and it works just fine. No lag or anything like that to speak of between sections.

FWIW...I nearly soiled my pants as I was cutting the $250 ribbon in half :P

Actually I had been meaning to update this with my progress. I changed my design so the 10m (33 foot) extension wasn't required, but have successfully split two of my CCRs in multiple places to create:

8 pixels -> 10cm (4 inch) extension -> 8 pixels -> 2.5m (8 feet) extension -> 8 pixels -> 10cm (4 inch) extension -> 8 pixels -> 3.6m (12 feet) extension -> 8 pixels -> 10cm (4 inch) extension -> 8 pixels

This arrangement seems to work fine. And yes, I was wetting my pants as I made my first cut as well!

Nixay.

• The topic was locked