Light-O-Rama Forums

fm transmitter

sthobe

sthobe wrote:

thinking about getting the fm whole house transmitter 2.0.does anyone know how good they are?if not what is a good one without breaking the back

I think any of them should be light enough to prevent that (sorry couldn't resist). :)

The whole house tx v1.0 doesn't have a very good reputation, though I think some are saying v2.0 is better. I love my EDM transmitter, so that gets my vote. A little more money but audio quality is unbeatable. I have the LCD-RDS model (same as the TX-LCD model but with RDS capability). They offer a new LCD-CS model this year, that is lower cost, and I wonder if it is a good alternative for the average user.
http://edmdesign.com/orders.html

jjdurrant wrote:

I just ordered the EDM-LCD-CS-EP; however, I just read that these are not legal (not part 15 FCC compliant) so I am little concerned. :?

I would not be concerned. FCC has better things to do... BUT Do not interfere with existing stations and do not make up call letters like "WXMAS"...

Dan

jjdurrant wrote:

I just ordered the EDM-LCD-CS-EP; however, I just read that these are not legal (not part 15 FCC compliant) so I am little concerned. :?

Run it on its lower setting (1- 10mw range) and it will be operating well within legal operating parameters for a type 15 device.

You only get into trouble when using external antennas, higher power, or as Dan said causing interference. The latter will be the #1, and probably only, reason you will have any issues.

Keep your neighbors on your good side, and you should be all set!

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

jjdurrant wrote:

Run it on its lower setting (1- 10mw range) and it will be operating well within legal operating parameters for a type 15 device.

You only get into trouble when using external antennas, higher power, or as Dan said causing interference. The latter will be the #1, and probably only, reason you will have any issues.

Keep your neighbors on your good side, and you should be all set!

Greg

Great, thanks!

I bought the 2.0 and it works fine for the distance I need. I have my computer in the garage and I get about a block away which is enough. My reception was very clear out to the street where the people will be.

Terry Hurrle wrote:

I bought the 2.0 and it works fine for the distance I need. I have my computer in the garage and I get about a block away which is enough. My reception was very clear out to the street where the people will be.

I agree, I dont understand the bad rap this brand takes just based on my experience.

The gold version I had last year worked a full block away and the 2.0 is working fine, especially once I knew about the magic switch under the QC label in the battery compartment.

It will get a full test in 2 weeks or so when I fire up for Halloween.

I just finished my research into this subject and ended up ordering a MBB 4000 this week. Don't have it yet, so can't comment on performance.

I started out thinking of purchasing Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0, but had a hard time finding positive reviews (granted this forum has a few). I particularly was concerned that a couple of xmitter test sites said the the Whole House FM guys refused to send an eval unit for testing. I know that in itself doesn't make for a bad unit, but it certainly didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Also, their website smacks of an infomercial... not real wild about that either.

Anyway, just my thoughts from my recent foray into this topic. We'll see if I made a good decision or not.

-Craig

jcraigcx wrote:

I just finished my research into this subject and ended up ordering a MBB 4000 this week. Don't have it yet, so can't comment on performance.

I started out thinking of purchasing Whole House FM Transmitter 2.0, but had a hard time finding positive reviews (granted this forum has a few). I particularly was concerned that a couple of xmitter test sites said the the Whole House FM guys refused to send an eval unit for testing. I know that in itself doesn't make for a bad unit, but it certainly didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Also, their website smacks of an infomercial... not real wild about that either.

Anyway, just my thoughts from my recent foray into this topic. We'll see if I made a good decision or not.

-Craig

MBB 4000 would have been my second choice.. EDM seems to be most respected and best performing from what I have read.. not to excited about having to solder though.

jjdurrant wrote:

jcraigcx wrote:

-Craig

MBB 4000 would have been my second choice.. EDM seems to be most respected and best performing from what I have read.. not to excited about having to solder though.

I liked the EDM as well... just have way too many Halloween projects to get up and running. I needed a quick and easy solution.

I just bought the WHT 2.0 and it works ok. nothing fancy, kind of cheaply built but it works. I can hear it upstairs and with the antenna extension I can hear it across the street. Like I said nothing fancy.

jjdurrant wrote:

... not to excited about having to solder though.

The amount of soldering you have to is minimal. Probably as minimal as is possible for the product to qualify as a kit. Trust me - rudimentary soldering skills is all you'll need and it takes less than 5 minutes. Just a couple connections, literally. Be careful and take your time and it will turn out great! And when you get all done you'll be able to hear it clearly from a little farther away than just across the street.

George Simmons wrote:

jjdurrant wrote:
... not to excited about having to solder though.

The amount of soldering you have to is minimal. Probably as minimal as is possible for the product to qualify as a kit. Trust me - rudimentary soldering skills is all you'll need and it takes less than 5 minutes. Just a couple connections, literally. Be careful and take your time and it will turn out great! And when you get all done you'll be able to hear it clearly from a little farther away than just across the street.

Excellent, thanks!

I assume there is a regulation of some sort which prevents these from entering the US assembled and ready to go?

PS... sorry to hijack this thread. :D

jjdurrant wrote:

I assume there is a regulation of some sort which prevents these from entering the US assembled and ready to go?

PS... sorry to hijack this thread. :D

I have read through FCC part 15 looking for something about kits, but it's pretty obscure. I would assume you are correct - leaving one part un-soldered may have been enough for them to convince some government office that these did not violate part 15 because they were "hobbyist equipment." Perhaps my brother would know - he works for US Customs.

The title of this thread is "fm transmitter". That's pretty much what you're talking about, so I wouldn't consider that "hijacking."

EDM had my vote - OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE

Spend a little extra. I made the mistake of buy the C Crane and then investing more money to replace it.

Although, I do have a back-up.

jcraigcx wrote:
.. not to excited about having to solder though.

With my EDM "kit", I soldered 3 wires (and they are big wires, well spaced apart) to the power supply jack, plugged the LCD display into a socket.and plugged the microprocessor into its socket. Less then 5 minutes total.

So go ahead and get Excited! Nothing to it.

JBullard wrote:

jcraigcx wrote:
.. not to excited about having to solder though.

With my EDM "kit", I soldered 3 wires (and they are big wires, well spaced apart) to the power supply jack, plugged the LCD display into a socket.and plugged the microprocessor into its socket.  Less then 5 minutes total.

So go ahead and get Excited!   Nothing to it.

Not sure if they changes what is required, but I bought mine 2 months ago and only had to solder the power connector.

Three very easy, non-exciting, solder joints.