Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Director Stumper

paulcav151

Here's a stumper for you:

I had the miniD running fine in the basement with a single controller. I moved the set-up to the garage, and now the miniD is not recognizing the trigger inputs. When I insert the card, it starts and cycles continously even though the show was set to play once, and only start on trigger 1. So I deleted the shows from the card and reinstalled, making sure I checked the play only once box, and start on trigger one. Same thing...starts automatically and runs continously. So I deleted the show again, and installed it with trigger 2, and then again with trigger 3. Still runs automatically, and continously. I even reinstalled the firmware on the miniD. I tested the switch, and even tried a different switch. Any thoughts?

Hi,

When you deleted the show did you do so manually to make sure the SD card was blank?

How long is the wire to the switch? Is it the wire the same length as when you tested?

What happens when no trigger wires are attached?

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

Hi,

When you deleted the show did you do so manually to make sure the SD card was blank? I deleted everything on the SD Card using Windows Explorer
How long is the wire to the switch? The new switch wire is around 6ft. I switched back to the switch that worded previously and it did not work either. It is about 5 inches long.Is it the wire the same length as when you tested?

What happens when no trigger wires are attached? It starts when the card is inserted, and runs continuously.

Dan

You also have Trigger Switch Type set to (Norm Open) correct? You had it working so most of these questions are moot and when you moved it, it was already working.

So all you did when you moved it was connect the same switch with a different length wire and you did not have to make changes to the SD card... Working on that assumption it seems like the hardware would have to fail and now be reporting that the triggers are on all the time.

We can verify this by setting the trigger switch type to Norm Closed and not have have any wires connected. In this case if the inputs are all stuck ON then nothing will start.

Are you using only inputs (pins 1,2,3) and the Ground (pin 4) correct? The reason I ask is because people, when connecting a motion detector have inadvertently connected the 9v (pin 6) to inputs (pins 1,2,3) and that can damage the inputs.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

You also have Trigger Switch Type set to (Norm Open) correct? You had it working so most of these questions are moot and when you moved it, it was already working.

So all you did when you moved it was connect the same switch with a different length wire and you did not have to make changes to the SD card... Working on that assumption it seems like the hardware would have to fail and now be reporting that the triggers are on all the time.

We can verify this by setting the trigger switch type to Norm Closed and not have have any wires connected. In this case if the inputs are all stuck ON then nothing will start.

Are you using only inputs (pins 1,2,3) and the Ground (pin 4) correct? The reason I ask is because people, when connecting a motion detector have inadvertently connected the 9v (pin 6) to inputs (pins 1,2,3) and that can damage the inputs.

Dan

Correct. Nothing was ever connected to 5 or 6.

So you want me to redo the 3 shows for triggers 1, 2 and 3, play throught only once, and select normally closed. Remove the switches from the unit. Insert the card, and let you know what happens.

paulcav151 wrote:

So you want me to redo the 3 shows for triggers 1, 2 and 3, play throught only once, and select normally closed. Remove the switches from the unit. Insert the card, and let you know what happens.

Disconnect all the trigger wires from the miniD. Delete everything on the SD card then try just one show on trigger 1. Have it on a normally closed switch.

When you put it in the miniD the sequence should startup and play immediatly because with no switches connected to the controller.

Let me know.

LightORamaDan wrote:

paulcav151 wrote:

Disconnect all the trigger wires from the miniD. Delete everything on the SD card then try just one show on trigger 1. Have it on a normally closed switch.

When you put it in the miniD the sequence should startup and play immediatly because with no switches connected to the controller.

Let me know.

It does not play. 2 blinks and a pause.

It really sounds like the inputs are somehow damaged or failed.... The inputs are reading as if they are all grounded even when there is nothing attached to them.

I suggest you send an email to support@lightorama.com and say that you have a mini director where the inputs are not working. They will send you a replacment.

Dan