Light-O-Rama Forums

Laser control question using DMX?

evandewindt

ok i did a search and couldnt come to a decision if i should buy the DMX interface, so maybe you can help me....

I purchased a laser a while back that has DMX control but now that im using LOR im wondering if that means i can bring my lasers into my light show?

here are the specs on the laser i bought.

L2500 210mW RG Four Lens Pro Laser Show System
Detailed Product Description

Features: The four tunnel red and green laser, the beams are compages, morethan 100 laser patterns, over 300 laser effects. Advanced design program, fourmodes in one: Sound Active, AUTO, DMX512, Master/Slave for different applications
Scanner: Micro-step motor scanner, big angle scanning
Laser: 80+80(650nm)+25+25(532nm) mW double red and double green laser
Play Mode: Sound Active, AUTO, DMX512 (7 channels), Master/Slave
Interface: 3 pins XLR jack for DMX or Maser-Slave linking
Power Supply: 100~250V, 50/60HZ, 30W
Size: 600*180*150mm
Weight: 8.0Kg

Can someone tell me if i bought the DMX LOR interface, can i create laser animations like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvHa46TwkzY&feature=fvsr

I realize that laser is a 12 channel laser and mine is a 7 channel, but im just trying to create basic animations like text.

just trying to get some advice before i make a mistake and buy a DMX interface and i cant even use it since buying another DMX device isnt in the budget this year :D

thanks for the help!

In the specs you list, it says that the Laser runs off of the DMX standard (along with an auto mode.)

If you want to control the laser during your show, you will need to buy an iDMX. The iDMX connects to your network like a regular LOR controller. Then the 3pin XLR connectors are used to connect to the laser.

Once you do this, you'd have the ability to control the laser during the show, and program it to your tastes. This would be done by adding an iDMX controller to your sequence.

The "auto" mode (based on recent experience) does not give you the ability to chose the effect. It will cycle through the effects on a preset cycle. While you wouldn't need an iDMX to do auto mode, you would have zero ability to control the effects (again, assuming this particular laser does NOT have a way to program the "random" auto function. (Which when you think about it, programming a random function would be quite odd.)

Thank you so much! Just needed that extra kick in the pants before i spent the money on the controller.... :D

Evan

Evan,

Can you make custom words with that laser or are you locked into their texts only? I'm wanting texts that say "tune to" or "merry christmas".

Thanks,

Vic

Evan -

Did I read things correctly that this unit contains two 80 mw red lasers, and two 25 mw green lasers??

What kind of distances and surfaces have you been using with these?

Greg

Victory402

I havnt been able to create txt yet, but i am also trying to do it for the same reasons you are. once i get it all hooked up to light o rama ill let you know what i can do...

Greg Young

Yes you read that correctly. I bought it for parties at my house. Itll project the laser a few hundred feet depending on how much fog you use. The less fog the farther itll go but it will give you less of an effect. i normally use it indoors but i have used it outside on foggy nights, and it does pretty well, just have to be carefull not to shine it into the sky :)

Here is a picture of it in action, the red is hard to see on camera.

Attached files 210935=11764-LASEr.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

The animations you referred to are built-in on the DMX controller.

Generally, with DMX-controlled laser projectors, you only have control of basic "spirograph" type images, along with a fixed number of preset basic graphics.

To create your own graphics (including text), you'll need an ILDA-compliant projector along with a controller / software package to program it.

I'm a member of a site dedicated to laser projection systems and laser shows, in case you're interested in checking things out a bit more in depth:

http://www.photonlexicon.com

• 5 weeks later...

So, I have to ask, how are/did you make out on this project. I'm getting ready to do the same. I want to connect a Chauvet Storm RGX laser to my LOR system (I only have 16 channels). I have a weather-tight place under the soffit on the front of my house to mount it so I can project colored snowflakes on the snow covered front lawn.

Just curious to know if you figured out the connections & programming...

Thanks! Greg

• The topic was locked