Light-O-Rama Forums

Strain Relief

blainedead

I am in the process of putting together my 3 new PC boards. I picked up some CG-1500 enclosure boxes from broadband, and secured the boards in them. I am ready to start wiring them up, but would like to know what some of you have done for strain relief. I have an idea or two bouncing around, but I'm always looking for "cheaper and/or easier" if you know what I mean.

Guest wbottomley

This image was taken before I got some zip ties.

I use the type that have a screw hole in them. Then, take a screw and fasten it to one of the holes in the enclosure.

IMG00187.jpg

I use round cords for my outputs, so I cut and bent a piece of aluminum and drilled holes for the wires, using rubber grommets in the CG-1500 to keep out unwanted pests, and zip ties on the aluminum to (hopefully) keep any cords tripped over from tearing up the controller.

Attached files 209923=11696-IMG_0700.JPG

• 2 months later...

Nice photo.... I love the grommets, but I am a tad fearful.

Obviously, your case is made from plastic...which is nice.

The idea of the cable strain, is to first prevent the wire from being pulled loose and turning your nifty LOR into a toaster. Second is the protection from being cut, and perhaps turning into a toaster.

If the cable restains are not used, what is to prevent from someone to may trip over a wire to not pull the connections loose and being a potential hazard?

BTW, you can get those at Homedepot the 1" ones are about 1.44 each....They have smaller sizes (and larger for anyone who wants to enclose their first kit into a full size Refridgerator....

If you are asking me, I used a piece of aluminum, bent to add support, and then zip tyed the cords. I figure it will hold during the initial pulling, but if someone is trying to pull them out on purpose, there's nothing going to hold that good.

Attached files 217801=12111-IMG_0975.JPG

bisquit476
Thanks for the info that is the cheapest price on them that I have seen. I will probably order some of them.

Wayne

Just my luck I ordered those Thursday and then you posted Friday about the others. Thanks for the info, I am going to bookmark that site in case I need more.