Light-O-Rama Forums

Making your own hotkeys

friskybri

I have been working on mouth movements for a talking pumpkin. I was wondering if there was a way to program a hot key for the different movements. Clicking on the few cells and link to a hot button. Then where ever you want that face hit the hot button and it fills one mouth movement. Click another hot key and it fills a different mouth setting. Basically letting us make our own hot keys. This would help with the copy and paste.

friskybri wrote:

I have been working on mouth movements for a talking pumpkin. I was wondering if there was a way to program a hot key for the different movements. Clicking on the few cells and link to a hot button. Then where ever you want that face hit the hot button and it fills one mouth movement. Click another hot key and it fills a different mouth setting. Basically letting us make our own hot keys. This would help with the copy and paste.

What are the mouth movements, like an "O" and a "Closed" and a "Open", .... I imagine that it covers multiple channels?

Thanks
Dan

Yes, Making your own hot keys like copying multiple channels. being able to program our own hot keys . so if I went over 10 cells and I hit 1 it would be the mid mouth position or if i hit 2 over the next 5 cells it would fill in the "oh" sound. Or what ever I feel like boxing in and linking it to a hot key of our own. I am hoping you understand what I am saying.

Hot key 1 2 3

upper eyes |on |on|on

lower eyes |on |on|on

up lip |on |off|on

mid lip |on |off|off

lower lip |off|off|on

side of mouth |on |off|on

ah |off|off|off

o |off| on|off

I was thinking of something similar except it would be a side bar where you could put your most common items like chases, random patterns etc. It could be called a "Favourites" bar or something to that effect and save scrolling to a previous position to copy and paste.

I know that this is not exactly the same as what you are asking, but it sounds to me like the new "Clipboards" functionality might at least be a step towards what you want.

You can have a bunch of different clipboards at once, with different things copied into them. Switching between clipboards switches what will be pasted.

So, you could make one clipboard, copy your "mid mouth" cells into it, name it "Mid Mouth", and make another clipboard, copy "oh sound" into it, name it "Oh Sound", et cetera.

You can also lock individual clipboards (so that you won't accidentally copy something else into them), and save individual clipboards (so that they'll be available to you even after you close the Sequence Editor and start it up again in the future).

See the following help file page for details:

http://lightorama.com/help/index.html?clipboards.htm

that will work. It would be nice if you can put it for how many cells but I Just made all of them longer then will hit the next mouth movement where needed. It will save alot of time.

No problem. I'm trying to do this from my evo while I am on the road. so bare with me. Clipboard works good but say I only want The Ohh to be 4 cells long or maybe the next time only 2 cells. As in the hotkeys you could drag it however many cells and hit U for fade up. With clipboard its set to whatever you paste in it. In talking pumpkins the length always varies. Unless I'm missing something. I can say I'm still learning this software. I hope this helps. Thanks Brian.

I see.

One additional new thing that might help with that is the new "Repeat" tool. You could paste the "Oh Sound" into a single column, select that column, and hit "Repeat" for however many times you want it to go.

Might make it faster to put the pumpkin in its own track, so you could quickly select the entire column immediately after the paste (Edit / Select / Columns, or via the keyboard, Alt-E / S / C).

Or, another option:

Set up a freeform timing grid, instead of a fixed grid. Stick timings only at the places where you want the mouth to change shape.

Copy a single column's worth of the "Oh Shape". Save that to a clipboard.

Make sure that "Paste by Cell" is selected, rather than "Paste by Time".

Then when you paste, it will only be pasted into a single cell, but that single cell will be the proper length (with different lengths being proper at different places in the sequence).

Note that you can have multiple timing grids in the same sequence, with one displayed at any given time. So you don't have to give up your tenth-second grid (or whatever it is) in order to do this; you just have to add another grid, and switch to that. You can always switch back to your tenth-second grid whenever appropriate.

bob wrote:

Note that you can have multiple timing grids in the same sequence, with one displayed at any given time.

Hey Bob...

How hard would it be to be able to have multiple timing grids show up in one sequence? Like for a song that changes beats? It would be nice to be able to highlight a section of cells, use the pull down menu to select a certain timing, and have that timing just fill in the where you have highlighted the cells.

Or can that be done now and I just don't know how to do it?

I'm sorry, I don't think I understand. You can already have multiple timing grids, and switch between them. Could you please explain again? Thanks.

bob wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't think I understand. You can already have multiple timing grids, and switch between them. Could you please explain again? Thanks.

I know you can switch BETWEEN multiple grids but only one can be viewed at a time, correct?

but was wanting the ability to VIEW multiple grids at the same time (without having to do a "Insert Multiple Timing" edit).

IE...from the start of the sequence to the 1:00 mark you want the 1/10 timing, then from 1:00:01 to 1:30:00 you want to have 1/20 and from 1:30:01 to the end of the song you want it back to 1/10 (or any combination in between) without having to go to the pull down menu and switch back and forth, but be able to highlight the cells in the time frame you want and pick the timing you want/need for that particular area of time.

I guess what I am wanting is sorta there (by using "Insert Timing") but why not be able to do that by using the Timing Drop Down Menu?

Or as usual, am I asking for something that is already a function I am not aware of?

You want to have different timing grids displayed for different time ranges of the sequence, is that correct?

If so, no, that can't be done with the current software. But you can create a single timing grid that looks the way you want, e.g. with 1/10 timings from time zero to time 1:00, 1/20 from time 1:00 to time 1:30, et cetera.

The way I do it is to listen to the whole song in Beat Wizard and when the tempo changes I raise the number of beat to 3, 4, or 5 times so I can pick up those 1/16 notes. This gives me more latitude when programming the rest of the song and I think it allows for more effects in a song. Just my opinion.

bob wrote:

You want to have different timing grids displayed for different time ranges of the sequence, is that correct?

Yep...that is correct.

And not only displaying it, because like Mike suggested, there is a workaround, but was wanting a "one click" way to do it via the timing drop down menu.

EDIT:

The real issue here for me is there are only 101 days left til Thanksgiving so I want to be able to push one button and have my sequences done!!! LOL

What is REALLY needed is for LOR to offer some Time Management classes!!! :D

jimswinder wrote:

bob wrote:
......I want to be able to push one button and have my sequences done!!! LOL

If they had one button and sequences complete then everyone would have these displays and we would not get the satifation of doing it. (but it would be nice to have and I would be first in line to get it!)

PaulXmas wrote:

If they had one button and sequences complete then everyone would have these displays and we would not get the satifation of doing it. (but it would be nice to have and I would be first in line to get it!)

I don't think I am being unreasonable with my request...just a simple probe I can stick in my ear with a USB connection on the other end so my computer can do a Vulcan Mind Meld to get the sequences out of my head and into the LOR sequencer...seems pretty simple to me.

Volunteers? :shock: