Light-O-Rama Forums

Finally Finished My F.M. Sign

Donny M. Carter

Fluorescent tubes, the sign will be mounted about a foot off the ground. Also the pic was taken inside during the day so it's not the best. Just brought the sign outside and it looks GREAT!!

It's a design done by my wife. I then brought it to a print shop and had them print it on clear vinyl.

It's actually double sided. So two 24"x36" printed signs with Lexan to attach the vinyl to was around $400.00 total. Maybe a little high, but you should see this thing at night!

Donny,

Would you clairify something for me? Where are the floro tubes? Are they lighting up the lexion or are they shining their light onto the front surface of the sign? or put another way are you back lighting or front lighting the sign.

Thanks

Very nice looking sign.The website on the sign does not come up though.Do you still have to create the website carterchristmaslights.web.com?

Here's a shot with one side of the sign removed. The sign would be backlit!

Attached files 209310=11662-IMG_0521.JPG

wallleyes wrote:

Very nice looking sign.The website on the sign does not come up though.Do you still have to create the website carterchristmaslights.web.com?

you forgot the (S) in webs in the address. the website is a work in progress thats for sure!
carterchristmaslights.webs.com

Your sure right on the s.Must be a sign of things to come.Nice looking website you have.Will look forwards to seeing any videos you post on there.

Thanks Donny,
When I was looking at your sign when you first posted the picture. I almost swore that the lamps were hidden but in the front of the sign.
Floros work good in warm climate locations. But as you come up north were it is colder, they do not produce as much light when cold. Forgive me, not hating your sign, just stating facts about the floros in the cold. But I do like your sign and what you have done with it. Thanks for the show and tell.

Nice work on the sign. I'm curious how well the print will last against the elements sinse it's mounted on the outside surface. I'm wondering/suggesting maybe reverse print it and mount it on the inside surface for those looking to do a similar sign.

For those of us up north, there are similar fixtures loaded with led's that would do a similar job.

Thats correct reverse print. Plus I put a piece of Lexan in front (for the flying objects you know someone will throw)

Did you have to hunt for the Lexan, or did the printer have lexan stock? I used to have a friend many years ago that worked at a sign company and I was able to get scrap stock. But I haven't found a new source for the stuff.

When will mine be ready????? haha. That's a great looking sign you have there. Bet it took you awhile to make. You do fantastic work!! :)

The Lexan came from a local glass shop in stock. $140.00 for a full sheet. The signs where printed on clear vinyl at the sign shop for $150.00. The lights where $13.00 each at Home Depot. A few 2x4's and some paint. Not bad for a very bright very visible sign that should last for years. Plus when someone throws a beer bottle at it, no problem!!