Light-O-Rama Forums

Encloser TBBS

miguel

Scott T wrote:

George,
Did you have your glasses on? Kinda blurry to me.

Egads! You're right! I must have been doing my Magoo impersonation or something. Or maybe the margaritas had something to do with it... kind of like waking up next to a woman who looks a whole lot different than the one you met the night before... I feel violated...

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great photos and info. I am building my first controller, and the second is on the way, and this helps.

Thanks Scott, it really helped to see the blue board mounted, and the link to the correct box rocks!

Thanks again, this is my first year, and I am a bit excited about the whole process!

Paul

miguel wrote:

LOL I took them with my phone. i have hands that shake a little. this is why i am not a surgen.

LOL

Only thing that I notice that I would add is some sort of strain relief for the cords (maybe you have them but I don't see them). It is only a matter of time that you will trip on one of your extension cords, and you don't want it to tug on the connection of your board (thus probably damaging your board). Looks like George wrapped the cord bundles with something and screwed that to the enclosure. Or you could use a traditional strain relief attached to the hole exiting the enclosure. Make sure to secure your data cat5 cable similarly.
Otherwise looks good!

paulanator wrote:

Thanks for the great photos and info. I am building my first controller, and the second is on the way, and this helps.

Thanks Scott, it really helped to see the blue board mounted, and the link to the correct box rocks!

Thanks again, this is my first year, and I am a bit excited about the whole process!

Paul

Welcome to the madness of LOR Paul! Warning: it is going to be a crazy ride (especially if you don't have enough extension cords--so buy more!).

You may also want to include your location in your profile so others here know how to tailor our advise based on your climate.

So I've got 3 CTB16KD kits...the showtime boards with high power heat sinks that I'll be using, plus one DC board.

Pretty sure I'll keep the DC board, and its PS separate, but looking at my layout, I know I can keep 2 of my CTB-16s together, and very possibly 3.

Looking at all the BBS enclosures, they seem to be geared towards holding one controller, due to their actual intended use with CATV and telco.

Curious what others have done for outdoor enclosures with multiple cards installed. I'm sure I can make a standard breaker panel/disconnect panel work, but thinking there has to be something better. And, just keeping them in 4 separate enclosures is also on the options list.

They have to be outside, otherwise, my (unused) dryer vent, which is how I will feed power to the controllers, and my cat-5 cable from my computer, will be come clogged with extension cords and SPT.

I'm envisioning mounting whatever I use on a framework to keep them off the ground, they'll be hidden back in my shrubs out of sight from everyone.

If money was no object, I'd be looking at some of the Hoffman or Fibox options, but they are a small fortune, and overkill to say the least.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Scott T wrote:

Different board and different box. I just thought if others were reading, the picture could come in handy.

CTB16K with my own high power heat sinks
Keptel CG-1500 - http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/product.php?pid=706098

I put the data wire in through the side and run SPT wires out the bottom. I lay them on the ground and have never had a problem.

Scott,

I dont mean to be a wet towel, but I have only one problem with the way you mounted your board. I presume that this is the orientation that you are going to use to mount the box to something with the strain relief pointing down? If so, note the seal around the box and door. In the middle of the left side you can see something different about the seal. This is where water is suppose to run out.
Otherwise it looks real sharp and the strain relief is better than running the wires out of the openings with the foam.

Scott T wrote:

I lay them on the ground and have never had a problem.

Dear Mr Wet Towel,
I lay them on the ground, just the way you see them in the picture. (I do close the door) So that is a drip hole, it's at the top. eek!

In Ohio on the cold wet day after the snow melts, water has been known to float up through little holes. That must be my saving grace.

Scott T wrote:

Scott T wrote:

Dear Mr Wet Towel,
I lay them on the ground, just the way you see them in the picture. (I do close the door) So that is a drip hole, it's at the top. eek!

In Ohio on the cold wet day after the snow melts, water has been known to float up through little holes. That must be my saving grace.

Having a rough day? Sorry didn't mean to make it any rougher. Thanks I must have missed that bit about sitting them on the ground and not having any problems with them. Glad to hear all is well. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Max-Paul wrote:

Scott T wrote:
Scott T wrote:

Dear Mr Wet Towel,

Having a rough day? Sorry didn't mean to make it any rougher. Thanks I must have missed that bit about sitting them on the ground and not having any problems with them. Glad to hear all is well. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Oh, I didn't have a bad day. Just messing with you a little bit. You open your mouth and speak, I respond.

No worrys man, there bigger fish than a wet towel!

• 1 year later...

miguel wrote:

I purchased a Keptel CG-2000 Coax Demarcation Enclosures 13 x 9 x 3 from The broadband store.

Is that the internal measurements?

I followed a link earlier in this thread and found that the broadband store no longer sells these boxes...

They closed back in 2010. There are other places that sell these but the cost is almost double.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

miguel wrote:
I purchased a Keptel CG-2000 Coax Demarcation Enclosures 13 x 9 x 3 from The broadband store.

Is that the internal measurements?

31565d1270489092-little-known-facts-regarding-world-war-2-holy-thread-resurrection.jpg

Good source for cg-2000 Excess Supply

Excellent source for all of the demarcation boxes dfcountryman contact John Schindler (612) 724-4400. Shipping is cheaper per box with case order of 6 boxes. I just ordered a bunch of Cg-1500 and the process was pleasant.

I got the inside measurements. Here they are encase others need it.

CG-2000 (7.125"W x 12.5"H x 2.5"D)