Light-O-Rama Forums

Chase Problem in New S2

kzaas

While drawing out a chase in the new S2 I noticed a potential problem(or a operator error). I noticed that while dragging to the right and up everything seemed to be OK, but when dragging right and down it would erase a portion of the previous chase. I been trying to get a screen shot and post it here but I can't remember how.

Turn on the "Paste from Foreground" option. Most of the time it's at the lower part of your side toolbar.

Like I said "Operator Error" thanks for the quick response but I do have a question.

Why did it only effect the down and to the right drag and not the up and to the right drag?

kzaas wrote:

Like I said "Operator Error" thanks for the quick response but I do have a question.

Why did it only effect the down and to the right drag and not the up and to the right drag?

Not sure what you mean. I've tested the Chase feature a lot. No matter the direction I go, the chase follows the direction that I just took the mouse.

What are you trying to do, exactly, that didn't work?

Philip wrote:

is there a keyboard shortcut to turn on/off the "paste from foreground" ??

Not that I see in the 2.8.0 beta notes. Not at a computer with LOR on it to look at the help file, though.

Philip wrote:

I'm unaware of any keyboard command to toggle this feature on/off. As far as I know the only way is to either check or uncheck the box in the thumb-tack toolbar on the left.

Don wrote:

kzaas wrote:

Not sure what you mean. I've tested the Chase feature a lot. No matter the direction I go, the chase follows the direction that I just took the mouse.

What are you trying to do, exactly, that didn't work?

For instance while programming a CCR and I want to do a chase I would start from time 00:00:00 Channel(or Pixel) 1, Click my left mouse button and hold and drag down and to the right to increase the time and the Pixel number. Vice versa if I wanted to return my chase from pixel 50 or where ever I would click,hold and drag from the starting time move up and to the right and complete at the ending time.

Until you told me about the "paste from foreground" option, the up and to the right drag would erase a portion of the previous chase. Now that you told me about the option I am not having a problem. I am just wondering why that option would effect one direction and not the other.

My question is "why does the 'Paste form Foreground' option only effect the up and to the right drag? If you need a screen shot of what I am talking about, please refresh my memory on how to get the screen shot then how to paste it within this post.

Probably easiest to let the help file explain this one ...

At the bottom of the Clipboards subpanel is a checkbox labeled "Paste from Foreground". This checkbox controls whether or not copied "off" effects will overwrite existing effects when pasted.

That make sense?

Philip wrote:

There's no single keystroke, but you can do it from the keyboard:

Alt-E

O

Down

Down

Return

That corresponds to "Open the Edit menu, open its Set Paste Mode submenu, move down to its Paste from Foreground entry, select that entry".

It should be easier - something like:

Alt-E

O

F

Unfortunately, I seem to have neglected to include a shortcut (like "F" in the above example) for that entry on the Set Paste Mode submenu. Sorry. One will be available in the next release.

My question is "why does the 'Paste form Foreground' option only effect the up and to the right drag? If you need a screen shot of what I am talking about, please refresh my memory on how to get the screen shot then how to paste it within this post.

Yes, please post some screen shots - I don't think I understand what you're saying is going wrong.

How to take a screenshot depends upon your operating system, but here are explanations for XP, Vista, and Windows 7, and I think the pre-XP operating systems are done in the same way as XP:

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows

Boy do I feel stupid, Win 7 has a new snip it tool taht makes it easty to get screen shots. Anyway here it is

As you acan see the first time I drag down and to the right it looks normal, then when you go up and to the right it start to overwrite the previous chase but then on the next chase down and to the right it erases the column instead of overwriting it

This is without "Paste from foreground" turned on

Sorry wrong picture.

Attached files 208897=11617-First Chase.PNG

This is without "Paste from foreground" turned on

Without "Paste from Foreground" turned on, it will do what you show it to do.

Turning "Paste from Foreground" on essentially means that it won't write "off" events into the selected area.

Without it on, it will write "off" events into the selected area, anywhere where it's not going to write the non-off events of what you're trying to chase.

Here are a few screenshots showing the difference between a chase with "Paste from Foreground" and without:

Starting with this:

KHV9a.png

Without "Paste from Foreground", you get this:

jRMO5.png

But with it, you get this:

WenSl.png

bob wrote:

Here are a few screenshots showing the difference between a chase with "Paste from Foreground" and without:

[snip]

I think that the original question was resolved when it explained that Paste from Foreground would "fix" the issue.

The second question was trying to understand the "rules" when "Paste from Foreground" is not checked. In the example there were three chases: #1. a chase from top down and to the right, #2. bottom up and to the right, #3. top down and to the right. Chase #3 overwrote portions of the previous chases as expected (this was with paste from foreground off). However paste #2 did not overwrite anything from paste #1. Portions of paste #1 would have been in the selection box for paste #2, but were not affected.

So I think that the secondary question was, is this the expected behaviour and what is happening... My guess is that in the case of the chase "Up and Right" the area of the screen affected is the area in the selection box to the right of the starting point of the effect being "chased".

Dan

Oh, I see. I thought he was asking about the fact that chase #3 overwrote parts of chase #2.

I'll look into why chase #2 didn't overwrite parts of chase #1.

Thank you Dan for helping me get my point across. If you put on paste from foreground its no big deal, but I was just trying to understand how it was working and also could this be a bigger bug.
Thanks Guys

• 3 weeks later...

I am not getting the chase tool to work consistantly. For example in trying to make a ramp down chase across some mini trees I am drawning the first ramp down and then click the chase tool then click the left cell (which is the start of the ramp down effect) then drag in a downward right angle when I want it to stop. Instead of giving me a chase down and to the right is gives me a vertical chase so minitrees 1-9 come on at the same time instead of 1 then 2 then 3 ectectera. This happens about 90% of the time. What am I doing wrong?

Keith Adams wrote:

I am not getting the chase tool to work consistantly. For example in trying to make a ramp down chase across some mini trees I am drawning the first ramp down and then click the chase tool then click the left cell (which is the start of the ramp down effect) then drag in a downward right angle when I want it to stop. Instead of giving me a chase down and to the right is gives me a vertical chase so minitrees 1-9 come on at the same time instead of 1 then 2 then 3 ectectera. This happens about 90% of the time. What am I doing wrong?

It depends on what is on the first line that you select. If it looks like the pattern goes across the entire selected area then the result is that you get what you describe. This is because the chase pattern is as wide as the chase area.

Bob knows the rules for what is considered the pattern on the first line and should chime in here.

Dan

So you are saying there can't be any effects to the right of what I am trying tio chase? I figured if there were turned off cells it would know I wasn't trying to chase anything but the effect that had cells with something in them.