Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence Editor Stops

anthonyrusso3

When i try to make a new musical sequence it comes up with sequence editor has stopped working. I am running windows vista with the 2.8.8, it was doing the same thing with the 2.8.6. it lets me select the channel count then tries to open then stops with the error message and the only thing i can do is close the program. Does seem fine when i run a sequence already made though.

I just upgraded to 2.8.8 and I get a TOTAL lockup...I start the program, no problem. I click on start a new sequence, enter my name and the number of channels I want then next or OK...completely locks my system up and I have to reboot...

XP SP3
Athlon XP3000+
2GB Ram
Radeon 1300

EDIT: Moved by Admin to this thread

JediKnight2 wrote:

I just upgraded to 2.8.8 and I get a TOTAL lockup...I start the program, no problem. I click on start a new sequence, enter my name and the number of channels I want then next or OK...completely locks my system up and I have to reboot...

XP SP3
Athlon XP3000+
2GB Ram
Radeon 1300

Did you upgrade from 2.8.6 or from some other version. If you used 2.8.6 did you have this problem with it?

Can you open an existing sequence?

As mentioned above can you create a animation (non-musical) sequence?

Thanks... Dan

I Believe the animation worked fine in the 2.8.6 did not try in the 2.8.8 yet will try later hope this helps for now

Ok Tried to make up just an animated sequence and it has no problems. so the only problem there seems to be is when you try to make a music sequence after you select your channel count and hit ok it runs for a couple of seconds but before anything can come to the screen it pops up with sequence editor has stopped working. the only option you have is to close program.

Ok, Anthony. More troubleshooting questions. When it crashes, what kind of audio file were you using? (wav, mp3, etc...) and had you already moved it into the My DocumentsLORmusic folder?

Music file is Mpeg layer 3 (mp3) and it is out of my documents/lightorama/audio directory.

anthonyrusso3 wrote:

Music file is Mpeg layer 3 (mp3) and it is out of my documents/lightorama/audio directory.

What MP3 bitrate are you using? I have found the sequencer works well with 192 and best with 128 bit rates. If I try to use High Quality (256 or higher) bit rates, I get the same problems with the sequencer locking up, but I also got this on eralier version of the LOR Sequencer as well. And many times if I went ahead and used the HQ bit rate (again 256 or higher), and saved the sequence to an SD card and tried to play it in my MP3 Show Director, the HQ files DID NOT and WOULD NOT play, once I lowered the bitrate to 128 everything went smoother, but I wanted a slightly better sounding MP3, so I tried the 192 bit rate setting and that worked out well. So I am using 192 on version 2.8.8 with no issues at all.

And I created a brand new sequence right after I upgraded from 2.7.6 to 2.8.8. and all my old as well as newly created sequences work perfectly in the sequencer, from an SD card or direct from the PC.

So it's just something you may want to look at. Have had no issues with WAV or any other file formats that LOR supports.

BTW: Mys sytems is only 512MB, Pentium 3, 1.2Ghz, Windows XP Hone Edition, SP3 and all current updates to all my video and audio drivers, using an ATI Radeon Video Processor (256MB on board video ram), forget which card it is, but it's an older (1998-99 PCI type graphics card). So you may want to check for updated video and audio drivers too.

Orville wrote:

anthonyrusso3 wrote:

What MP3 bitrate are you using? I have found the sequencer works well with 192 and best with 128 bit rates. If I try to use High Quality (256 or higher) bit rates, I get the same problems with the sequencer locking up, but I also got this on eralier version of the LOR Sequencer as well. [snip]
BTW: Mys sytems is only 512MB, Pentium 3, 1.2Ghz, Windows XP Hone Edition, SP3 and all current updates to all my video and audio drivers, using an ATI Radeon Video Processor (256MB on board video ram), forget which card it is, but it's an older (1998-99 PCI type graphics card). So you may want to check for updated video and audio drivers too.

In general the Sequence Editor will work well with just about any bit rate. This is the first time that I have heard of the need to adjust the bit rate of an MP3 file for the Sequence Editor... However if it has been an issue with one person then it is certianly somthing to consider.

The LOR MP3-Directors (per documentation) should have a max of 128kbps. You can get away with a little more but we recommend 128kbps.

Dan

For the two people in this thread that have said that they are having a problem creating a musical sequence.

What version of LOR were you using prior to upgrading to 2.8?

Please make sure that Windows Media Player (WMP) is up to date with the latests version available for the version of Windows that you are using.

Thanks
Dan

My windows media player should be the most recent version but when its open it has no where i can find what version it is. Do you know where this is located ?
I was using the most recent version of lightorama before the new upgrade. When i upgraded i went to the 2.8.6 when that didn't work i went to the 2.8.8 and still came up with the same problem.

open windows media player; under help choose "about".

That will give you the version number you are using. Mine is 11.0.5721.5260, and I think that is the latest one. Not 100% sure though.

You may have to "right click" on the toolbar to make it "show menus" then you can get to the About.

In Win7, I'm showing version 12.0.7600.16415

anthonyrusso3 wrote:

My windows media player should be the most recent version but when its open it has no where i can find what version it is. Do you know where this is located ?
I was using the most recent version of lightorama before the new upgrade. When i upgraded i went to the 2.8.6 when that didn't work i went to the 2.8.8 and still came up with the same problem.

Seeing that you went from 2.x.x to 2.8.8 it is less likely that it is the Media Player that requires an update but that will not hurt.

I believe that you said that you could use existing sequences but cannot create a new one. If that is true can you create a new sequence using a audio/media file that is being used in one of the existing/working sequences.

Thanks

Dan

OK I have the 11.0.6002.18111 ( guessing media player 11. 1) did try to make a new sequence with a song that has already been used and it did work. So please help what is the problem. They are mp3 files.

anthonyrusso3 wrote:

OK I have the 11.0.6002.18111 ( guessing media player 11. 1) did try to make a new sequence with a song that has already been used and it did work. So please help what is the problem. They are mp3 files.

Okay.... We have seen problems with certian MP3 files that cause a problem with the MP3 Decoder we use. This is a pretty rare problem and has been around since 1.6.15 (or whenever we introduced the waveform display in the software)...

If you could send the MP3 file to support@lightorama.com we will take a look at it and if it is the decoder (as I suspect) then we will send the file to the company that wrote the encoder and they may be able to make a fix...

However if the MP3 file is re-encoded using something like Audacity it will most likely work without issue.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

Orville wrote:
anthonyrusso3 wrote:

What MP3 bitrate are you using? I have found the sequencer works well with 192 and best with 128 bit rates. If I try to use High Quality (256 or higher) bit rates, I get the same problems with the sequencer locking up, but I also got this on eralier version of the LOR Sequencer as well. [snip]

In general the Sequence Editor will work well with just about any bit rate. This is the first time that I have heard of the need to adjust the bit rate of an MP3 file for the Sequence Editor... However if it has been an issue with one person then it is certianly somthing to consider.

The LOR MP3-Directors (per documentation) should have a max of 128kbps. You can get away with a little more but we recommend 128kbps.

Dan

Yes, I am very aware of the documentation on the 128 bit MP3's, but I just didn't like how they were sounding, they didn't sound "clean" enough for my liking (not as clear sounding as I'd like when broadcast using an FM Transmitter), so I tried the 192 bit rate and the MP3 director never wavered on any of those. But if I tried to use anything higher than 192, the MP3 Director wouldn't even play those sequences at all.

Now the strange thing is it may not have been the dequencer, but the MP3 fil itself that caused the "lock up" or "stopping" problems in it, because some 320 bitrates would work fine, others would not that were higher than 192 bit rate. Once I adjucted them and did some MP3 editing, I got all those that wouldn't work at the higher rate (caused jerky movements or stopped the sequncer in its tracks), they then worked just fine in the sequencer.

Again, not all MP3's did this, and could have very well been the way the MP3 was encoded or ripped from the CD, some of my own ripped CD's wouldn't work until I either re-ripped them at a lower bitrate (128-192) or used an MP3 editor to change them to a lower bitrate.

My WIn XP HE Media Player is version 11.0.5721.5268, which should be the latest version for all versions of Win XP users.

Guest wbottomley

Here's a little tip:

Have two files of the same song. One will be a wav and the other an mp3.

Sequence with the wav then when you are finished, change it to the mp3.