Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Tool

Larry Leonhardt

OK I do not understand... I have a CCR. That is RGB.... RGB makes millions of colors... Including White and Yellow.... So I do not see the need for RGBW... Please explain the need... I just don't "get a grip" on this... If I make an arch with the CCR why would I run a string of white lights in addition to the CCR... You just defeated the benefits of RGB....

melwelch wrote:

OK I do not understand... I have a CCR. That is RGB.... RGB makes millions of colors... Including White and Yellow.... So I do not see the need for RGBW... Please explain the need... I just don't "get a grip" on this... If I make an arch with the CCR why would I run a string of white lights in addition to the CCR... You just defeated the benefits of RGB....

That is just the point. Not everyone is using the RGB channels to actually control a RGB device. Some (including me) are using (or plan to use) the RGB tool to control separate stings of R, G, B, and some want W. I could go from programming 4 channels per window to programming 3 (or 4 if we could add a white channel).

There would be no "color changes" actually made when fading from R to B. The R string would just fade off and the B string would just fade on.

It is not the intended use of the RGB tool, but in reality it should work fine if sticking to solid R, G, or B colors while programming those particular "RGB" channels. If you did color mixing with a set up this way you would just see the three RGB colors on at different intensities.

My plan is to use a RGB channel for each window with its corresponding white channel right under the RGB channel in the grid. I understand that the color "100% white" gets you a 100% R, 100% G, and 100% B in a RGB channel set up.

Ditto ;)

melwelch wrote:

Oh OKay... You are just wanting a tool that you can configure so you can do better blends. Cool..........

melwelch wrote:

Another good reason for including white , is some of the new RGB floods,( both professional and Diy) also include white LED's for better color temps.

I am planning on using c6 lights around my windows and roof line, in red,blue,green and white. So i thought RGB plus white feature would be nice.

Jeff Millard wrote:

So, let's compromise. We should have a RGB tool for you sotherners who like to keep things simple... and a RGBYW tool for us Yanks who like to complicate things all up and make 'em real messy... Now go play with your crummy LEDs John! :cool:

Jeff

Hey Jeff, well HERE IS a "southerner" that agrees with you on this one! I would say Florida is about as far South as you can get in the U.S., and I was born and raised in Florida, But I use a lot of L.E.D.'s myself and prefer them, so I can agree with the RGBYW tool set up!

Now I'll bet ya never thought a sothner would agree with a yank now would ya? LOL