Light-O-Rama Forums

Powering the Rainbow flood

gizmomkr

DonFL wrote:

Assuming that is a Keptel CG series, looks like a CG-1000 from

http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/

I just ordered 4 of their CG-1500s for my 3 AC controllers, plan to use the 4th for the DC controller, will have enough room for a second DC card if ever needed.

Prices are the best I've found, and had them in less than a week.
Exactly.

And welcome to the LOR forums James! You might want to update your profile so we know where you are from and can use that info to help tailor answers to your climate. Ask lots of questions and contribute as much as you can.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TJ Hvasta

• Randy

• gizmomkr

• rstately

Randy wrote:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=1152

For anyone considering the 65 cent monoprice RJ45-DB9 adapter above for powering up the Rainbow floods, here is a wiring list that will be helpful...

RJ45 Connector             RJ45 cable wire
Red                                Blue
Orange                          Orange
Blue                               Orange/White
Black                              Green/White
White                             Brown
Brown                            Brown/White

Unused Wires
Yellow                            Green
Green                             Blue White

So I have some of these RJ45/db9 connectors and plan to use them on my DC board side for easy connection there. But while I was building my last few Rainbow FLoods, I thought "why not use this connector to solder directly to the Rainbow Flood, keeping it on the back side of the RF board, of course, and then I can use some smaller enclosures that I have and still not permanently connect to the board." So, I'm not well versed in the above information and not sure how to translate this into how to solder (the order of wire colors) this connector directly to the RF. Has this already been answered but I just don't speak the right language for these things? Or can anybody give any more guidance on this?

Thanks

Not sure I'm really seeing how you'll save space there compared to the on-board connector unless the RJ45->DB9 connector is outside your enclosure, and if so, you may find the waterproof connector to be better, but anyway..to answer your question (and yes, you could piece it together within the thread here...it's here in fragments..)..

Anyway..

Red LEDs: on the RF board, that is pins 1 and 2. Pin 1 is your positive lead, pin 2 your common. Cat-5 leads would be orange stripe for pin 1, solid orange for pin 2. Blue and orange on your DB9 adapter.

Green LEDs: RF board, pins 3 and 4 (positive and common). Cat-5, green stripe and solid blue. Black and red on the DB-9. (careful on this one, it is opposite what we're all used to from a color/polarity standpoint on the DB-9 adapter...).

Blue LEDs: RF board, pins 7 and 8 (positive and common). Cat-5, brown stripe and brown solid. Brown and white on your DB-9 adapter.

On the RF board, to ID pin numbers, if you are looking at the end with the 6 half-watt resistors, pin 1 is to the right, top row, they count 1/3/5/7.

Pins 2/4/6/8 across the bottom, right to left. The other end is, of course, the same, just known it is "visually opposite" when you are looking at one end of the board compared to the other. (Test the LEDs from both ends of the board and you'l see what I mean..;)).

Hope that helps.

Hi Galen,
It's possible to do what you want to do...

Here's the wire legend on the Rainbow flood board. I'm referring to the holes in the board where the supplied RJ45 connectors normally go where you're going to solder the monoprice connector wires. The odd numbered pins are plus and the even numbered pins are minus.

Pins 1 and 2 are for the Red LEDs
Pins 3 and 4 are for the Green LEDs
Pins 5 and 6 are unused
Pins 7 and 8 are for the Blue LEDs

Here's an example for the Red LED wiring. On the RF board at Pin 1, solder the Blue wire from the monoprice RJ45 adapter. On the RF Board at Pin 2, solder the Orange wire from the monoprice RJ45 connector. Back at the DC controller, the Blue wire goes to the + connection for the Red LED Channel. The Orange wire goes to the - connection for the Red LED Channel.

For the Green LEDs, use the Black wire for + on Pin 3 and the Red wire for - on Pin 4.
For the Blue LEDs, use the Brown wire for + on Pin 7 and the White wire for - on Pin 8.

Thanks, Randy, that's very helpful. But, when I'm looking at the RF board, there is no numbering of the "pins" (holes) so to speak where the RJ45 jack goes. Is it as simple as looking at the silkscreened side of the board they would be 1-8 going top to bottom on one end (left?) and bottom to top on the other end?

Galen

I extended mine so I could mount them away from the boards.
This is a 10"X10"X4" box. I plan to use a mini director all year, then at
Christmas, plug in to the network.

Attached files 218405=12134-DSCN1549.JPG

Galen wrote:

Thanks, Randy, that's very helpful. But, when I'm looking at the RF board, there is no numbering of the "pins" (holes) so to speak where the RJ45 jack goes. Is it as simple as looking at the silkscreened side of the board they would be 1-8 going top to bottom on one end (left?) and bottom to top on the other end?

Galen

Randy's drawing and explanation is definitely clearer than mine, definitely the one to use. One other thing to take advantage of, especially if you are putting two RFs in one enclosure, is you can supply power at either end of the board, same pinout sequence.