Light-O-Rama Forums

Desperately in need of programming help

Leroy Thompson

My sincere thanks to everyone who offered advice and assistance. I think I've gotten started at least. And you're right. It certainly can take up a weekend. I'm determined to get this one song done this weekend before I go back to work on Monday. It's painstaking but it is beginning to get fun. ;)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leroy Thompson

• PaulXmas

• wallleyes

• Bob Hall

Well, I didn't get done before the weekend was over. I took my laptop to church on Sunday and showed a friend who is sort of a lighting person too and he had some very helpful suggestions to make that really will improve things but required significant changes. So.......... However, I think I can do this in time. I guess I should have started in Feb like other told me. I am only going to try this one song this year and will re-use last year's sequences for the rest of the show. thanks again to all who offered help. Keep those suggestions coming in, folks! :)

I have played with LOR since it first came out, and would suggest folks having trouble review the tutorials on the LOR website.

The next steps, like many other things on the pc, involves playing with the software for a while. You guys are right, our younger members seem to be inherently better at that than the older members, probably because their inherent curisoity has not been stifled by the practical hogwash we get with aging ;)

As others have said, there are several sites that you can download free sequencing that should really get you started!

It appears from some of the posts that have appeared over the years that some newbies jump into it with 32 or more channels, which is a bit daunting. I would suggest the "walk before you run" approach, and start off with no more than 16 channels the first season.

The number of channels does not corelate with the quality of the display. I have seen displays with a large number of channels, that did not give the impact of another with a lesser number of channels. It's not the number of channels, but how sequence those you have that matter...

One feature I never bothered with, but just tried, is playing a sequence at 1/2, and 1/4 speed. The audio sounded totally distorted and was un-intelligible (something I had not expected), but the wave forms were OK.

Interesting finding... Even old dogs learn something new from the forums.

Greg

One thing I suggest that really, -reeeeeally- helps is find someone that's local (even up to a couple hrs away) that you can visit and have them talk/demo you thru how LOR works. Doing it without seeing it is very difficult for the first time.

Really, put your town/city in your profile, then do a search, find someone who's a local LOR user, have them do a hands-on lesson with you, makes the world of differance.

thompsol wrote:

Paul:

Thanks for your note. This has been the most helpful of anything written so far. I am moving along now.

Leroy
No problem!
I am a computer geek (MCP/MCITP and A+ certified)
I am use to having to explain the little tips and tricks to get things working.

I am sure if you ask someone will start a sequence for you.

thompsol welome to the lor forums.I like to change up my timing grids during faster or slower parts of a song.If you want to open your sequence editor to a new song i will take you step by step here and show you a couple of neat things you will like.So just open up a new musical sequence with any new song.When we are done just dont save this.If you click on the timings button right in the middle of the screen just above where track 1 is in the green.Then click on add new fixed grid.Do this and add all of these timings one at a time.0.10 0.05 0.03 0.01.rember this is just to learn so you can add different numbers as you learn.After you have added all these new fixed grids you can click on the drop down arrow way over to the right of the timings button.You can change timing grids as you want throughout the song.You will notice if you select 0.01 you cant even see the boxes.You can expand the timing grid by clicking on the green arrows < > or blue for up and down ^v .These buttons are up above the timings button in the top row.Practice with it a little and you will figure it out real fast.Hope this helps you and anyone else something new that will help you out sequencing.I am also a newbie this year but have learned a few things after playing around with the software.Hopefully you have the copy paste feature figured out as that is the biggest time saver for me.

wallleyes wrote:

....I am also a newbie this year ....

This is your first year and you have 208 channels!
All I can say is WOW.

PaulXmas wrote:

wallleyes wrote:

All I can say is WOW.

I find myself wanting more items while sequencing already.Mega tree eats up 62 channels 4 arches 32 channels....they get ate up fast.

PaulXmas wrote:

wallleyes wrote:

All I can say is WOW.

Paul if your not happy with the 112 channel you have pass a few controllers my way and I will use them. I'll drop by your house and pick them up.

lightzilla wrote:

PaulXmas wrote:
wallleyes wrote:

All I can say is WOW.

Paul if your not happy with the 112 channel you have pass a few controllers my way and I will use them. I'll drop by your house and pick them up.

LOL
I could use a few more!
I did have a bunch of free channels but now I am down to 4 (and I may use them before the lights go on.

Boy something is wrong when you are standing outside (in the summer) looking your house trying to imagine out how the new "thing" is going to work this Christmas.

PaulXmas wrote:

Boy something is wrong when you are standing outside (in the summer) looking your house trying to imagine out how the new "thing" is going to work this Christmas.

Wrong? Did you say wrong? Was it wrong when Patton over-ran Africa and stopped slavery? Was it wrong when Cousteau swam into the ocean and invented crab legs? (Or was that Al Gore?) Was it wrong when fertilizer was invented by some farmer sitting in his outhouse? I'll tell you what's wrong... waiting until it gets cold enough to freeze your a$$ into a Swedish meatloaf before you go outside to visualize - that's wrong! Acting like your neighbor down the street who throws a couple strings of lights on a bush in December and calls it decorating - that's wrong! Waiting until the only prices to pay for lights are retail prices - that's wrong! Standing outside while it's warm and you can think straight isn't wrong - it's smart! Rejoice!

George Simmons wrote:

PaulXmas wrote:

Wrong? Did you say wrong? Was it wrong when Patton over-ran Africa and stopped slavery? Was it wrong when Cousteau swam into the ocean and invented crab legs? (Or was that Al Gore?) Was it wrong when fertilizer was invented by some farmer sitting in his outhouse? I'll tell you what's wrong... waiting until it gets cold enough to freeze your a$$ into a Swedish meatloaf before you go outside to visualize - that's wrong! Acting like your neighbor down the street who throws a couple strings of lights on a bush in December and calls it decorating - that's wrong! Waiting until the only prices to pay for lights are retail prices - that's wrong! Standing outside while it's warm and you can think straight isn't wrong - it's smart! Rejoice!

George...I think it would be interesting to see how you act when you get really excited about something! :)

LightORamaDan wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
PaulXmas wrote:

George...I think it would be interesting to see how you act when you get really excited about something! :D

Really! LOL
He did forget to add is it wrong to stand outside when it is -30 watching your whole show 2 or 3 or 4 or ??? times in a row...

PaulXmas wrote:

He did forget to add is it wrong to stand outside when it is -30 watching your whole show 2 or 3 or 4 or ??? times in a row...

No, it's not wrong - maybe a little crazy - but not wrong. Personally, I've never stood outside when it's 30 below and watched more than one complete show. Of course, that was back in '08 when I only had 30 or so songs in the show...

KenL_MCSE wrote:

I think it is time for a Forest Gump quote.

Mama always says the lights look best when it's...

Someone fill in the blank

ON!

KenL_MCSE wrote:

Dark

KenL_MCSE wrote:

At the end of the tunnel?