Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP! for the colorblind

testraub

Okay, I know, the colorblind should NOT make things themselves. But, I bought 2 of these http://store.lightorama.com/16chkitstwih1.html . Everything is pretty cut and dried... but the 4 single resistors. Is there a way for poor, stupid, colorblind people to use a multimeter to figure out which is which? Built one with the help of the Wife, but she will NOT use a magnifing glass and flashlight to assist again. BTW Forget about "matching" colors to the one I assembled, which sorta works (may have had the MP as little loose) Assistance please!

THanks in advance

Tom Straub

Tom:

Boy, that would suck.

I've never personally built one of the LOR kits, but the required resistor values appear to be included in the assembly diagrams (at least the ones shown on the LOR Support page).

Sooo . . .

You should be able to take all the resistors before you start and measure their resistance with a multimeter. Remember, the resistance of a resistor can vary by 5% or 10% (I don't remember seeing any presicision resistors). Jot down the resitance reading and start grouping the resistors by how close their values approximate the given values in the parts list. By process of elimination (quantity versus resistance value), you should be able to group the resistors accurately. As a double check, see if all the color bands in each group resemble each other. I understand there are different types of color blindness, and each sees colors differently. This is just a verification that there are no obvious errors.

As a triple check, offer to take the wife out for "dinner and a show (whatever)" if she'll just verify all the colors in each group are the same. (I bet she does turn a cold shoulder when your show is up and running! ;)) Or see if a neighbor would be willing to offer a hand.

Hope this helps. And perhaps another member with a similar challenge will chime in.

Cray

BTW, welcome to the world of LOR.

You know,

Depending on your personality, maybe you could become a mentor. Teach a kid that is old enough to be able to learn how to solder. And maybe I should explain my meaning of a kid is 10 to 30. Is there a tech school in town? Maybe if you have some experience with electronics you could tutor the student. And he / she could help you with your kit. Kind of like an apprenticeship without having them live in your home like the old days. Us older guys do have experiences that the younger people can use.

OPPS! Reversed R5 and R30. Sometimes the hardware utility finds it and other times not. No power to the outputs on either side. One looks like it wants to fire, but don't. Any ideas? Yes I swapped then to where they should be. I'll foot the phone call for an assist.

Tom Straub

testraub wrote:

OPPS! Reversed R5 and R30. Sometimes the hardware utility finds it and other times not. No power to the outputs on either side. One looks like it wants to fire, but don't. Any ideas? Yes I swapped then to where they should be. I'll foot the phone call for an assist

Any way to post a couple of pictures of both sides of the board?

I would suggest a phone call to support at Lightorama. I would suspect that having the incorrect resistance in those places COULD cause damage to one of the components. I am sure LOR has probably had this occur in other instances and know what the results of such action would be.

I would not worry. LOR has been very good with helping people out getting their boards assembled.

Chuck

Called support today. Was told to send the board in. Well at least built one of them right :P They were VERY helpful!