Light-O-Rama Forums

Sleeves for archs

shfr26

I was trying to wrap my 1" poly sleeves for my arches and got P.O.ed because the lights kept falling off the end. So instead of zip tying them I heated one end up with my heat gun and pushed it onto an empty chuck of a 1/2 inch drill creating a nice even flare of about 3/16 or so. No need for zip ties and they seem to stay in place. Has anyone tried this or do you all just use zip ties or maybe something else? Will post a pic if you want. Thanks

I basically used Waterproof Duct Tape (brand is Gorilla) to hold down the end of the string as I wrapped it, then Duct taped the other end when I was done wrapping the string.

I had folded my strings into 4 equal lengths, so there was a loop on each end of the string that I could wrap the tape through.

I would like to see a pic of your arch since I can't visualize it in my mind...

Here are a few pic's of what I'm trying to do with my sleeves.

Attached files 205698=11427-Sleeve 001.jpg

shfr26 wrote:

Why don't you just glue a cap on the end? Then if you need a hole in the end you could drill one thru the cap and still have the edge of the cap to stop the string from falling off. Or even use a coupling...that would leave an edge and still have a hole at the end.

Or drill a hole thru the PVC to put a tie wrap thru and tie wrap the string to the PVC?

EDIT: When you say "sleeves", are you attaching the strings to the "sleeves" then sliding those over another piece of PVC?

Because I stupid!! :) I was just trying to come up with my easiest way. Will probably do it your way, thought the flange idea was a good one, but maybe not.

jimswinder wrote:

shfr26 wrote:

Why don't you just glue a cap on the end? Then if you need a hole in the end you could drill one thru the cap and still have the edge of the cap to stop the string from falling off. Or even use a coupling...that would leave an edge and still have a hole at the end.

Or drill a hole thru the PVC to put a tie wrap thru and tie wrap the string to the PVC?

EDIT: When you say "sleeves", are you attaching the strings to the "sleeves" then sliding those over another piece of PVC?

Yes, 1 inch black poly over 1/2 inch pvc. 10 ft, 7 channels, each sleeve is about 16-17 inches long. When one goes bad just slide off and replace with a new one. Wrapping 17 inches seems much better then wrapping 10 foot piece of pipe.

shfr26 wrote:

Wrapping 17 inches seems much better then wrapping 10 foot piece of pipe.

I tried wrapping sleeves...but didn't like the look. Sleeves did not have a smooth bend to them, looked more like straight sections. Maybe I didn't use sleeves that would bend easily.

I have some pretty tight bends in my Mini Arches...

The 1" poly comes in a roll and is pretty flexible. Did see some other piping that was super flexible but it was over $1.00 a foot, the poly was $33.00 for 100 foot.

Over on PC, under the Light/Arches subforums, I asked how is it everyone's coming up with 16"-17" sections.. Mine, at -the- longest is 11.5" wrapped with 100ct sets.. I dont get it, how/why are yours longer? The length/spacing on the light sets (minis) are between 3"-4" x approx 24' and only comes to abt 11" wrapped, and zip ties at each end.. :? 1" pvc pipe for sleeves.. hmmm, uh, just thot, -sliiiight- possibility it's 1 1/2" pipe (I'm on the road so I cant check it)..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Over on PC, under the Light/Arches subforums, I asked how is it everyone's coming up with 16"-17" sections.. Mine, at -the- longest is 11.5" wrapped with 100ct sets.. I dont get it, how/why are yours longer? The length/spacing on the light sets (minis) are between 3"-4" x approx 24' and only comes to abt 11" wrapped, and zip ties at each end.. :? 1" pvc pipe for sleeves.. hmmm, uh, just thot, -sliiiight- possibility it's 1 1/2" pipe (I'm on the road so I cant check it)..

My 3/4" PVC arches I have 15" sections, my 1/2" PVC arches they are 13" sections. You would think the smaller diameter PVC the sections would be longer...but it is in all how you wrap them (loose/tight, strings on top of one another/spaced apart, fold the strings before you wrap and how many folds you have, etc).

My 100ct minis (LED's) were 4" spacing but a total length of 33'. Maybe that is the difference.

jimswinder wrote:

My 3/4" PVC arches I have 15" sections, my 1/2" PVC arches they are 13" sections.

My 1.5" PVC arch has 65" sections, but it isn't wrapped.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

What I did was take the over all length of my pipe, divide in half, now are you using an even number or odd number of channels? . I am using 7 channels, pipe is 118" long, so 118 divided by 7 is 16.8 inches. Odd number of channels put top channel 8 .4 inches each side of middle ,even number put each end at center line. In other words, your over all length of pipe divided by the number of channels determines the size of each section. Hope that helps, cause my brain knew what I wanted to say but my fingers may not have typed it that way.

Hmmm, well, I'm using 8 channels, and single, tight layer wrapped each sleeve, that still only makes it 11" sleeves.. I make the sleeves and slide 8 sleeves over the 1/2" pvc, then cut that to length leaving approx 6" on each end (no snpw to worry abt). I guess main thing is I slide each loop tight againt the previous loop.

Why not just drill two holes at each end and use zip ties stayson good for me

Attached files 205751=11430-Picture 019.jpg

I just got home, looked in the box that the empty sleeves are sitting in, waiting to be wrapped, and they are 1" pvc, so the wrap spacing is what you are adjusting to use up the 16" length.

Shorter sleeve, smaller radius, smoother arc...

Attached files 205777=11436-11InchSleeve.jpg

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Hmmm, well, I'm using 8 channels, and single, tight layer wrapped each sleeve, that still only makes it 11" sleeves.. I make the sleeves and slide 8 sleeves over the 1/2" pvc, then cut that to length leaving approx 6" on each end (no snpw to worry abt). I guess main thing is I slide each loop tight againt the previous loop.

I did not leave any on the ends. The 16 inches will cover all of the 188 inches. IF I leave a portion at the end uncovered, yes my sleeves will be shorter. Did not even consider that, thanks.

shfr26 wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:

I did not leave any on the ends. The 16 inches will cover all of the 188 inches. IF I leave a portion at the end uncovered, yes my sleeves will be shorter. Did not even consider that, thanks.

Should say 118 inches not 188, sorry