Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Lasers. Who has used them with LOR?

Mitch K

I have an older tri-color laser with a DMX interface and was thinking about using it this year. Has anyone used one with the LOR equipment? Have you been able to do any special animations? Or just basic control like you see at concerts and night clubs?

http://www.MitchKing.us

Mitch, I use 7 different laser set-ups during our show. The cheap laser box's don't put out a quality animation. I found there best use is highlighting the ends of branches on a tree. They put out a great effect. Most of the time we use them for clouds of color, or just beams in the sky. You have to have something for the beams to "play" off of, like fog or smoke. We have a network of greenhouse water misters, mounted in the air about 20ft. I pressurize the water through a pump to around 100 psi, and it makes fog. If we run it without the pump, the water droplets are a little bigger, and we get colored rain. Its a very cool effect, and the fog works well with our yoke lights as well when we want a sky wash. That worked very well for us. We do a northern lights effect, and shoot different color beams through it. One of the things were experimenting with this year is a different "flat" style nozzle, to use fog as a video screen. Put out a holographic effect.

P.M. me, more than happy to help.

My wife takes all the pictures, and she is gone to D.C. (if she had her way, she'd plug my computer full too). When she gets back, I'll post a couple. Every year we have the local community college's art/photo class come up and shoot video's. Usually some students uses it for a project. Saves me the cost and headache of doing it myself. I guess there was a break in with some theft and vandalism, so I didn't even get a video of it this year. I did pick up a canon XL1, and was just experimenting with it shooting fireworks this last holiday, and will attempt my own video's along with the college.

That's a great camera Ken.

I have had mine since it first came out. Still going strong a decade later...

Greg

ken collins wrote:

My wife takes all the pictures, and she is gone to D.C. (if she had her way, she'd plug my computer full too). When she gets back, I'll post a couple. Every year we have the local community college's art/photo class come up and shoot video's. Usually some students uses it for a project. Saves me the cost and headache of doing it myself. I guess there was a break in with some theft and vandalism, so I didn't even get a video of it this year. I did pick up a canon XL1, and was just experimenting with it shooting fireworks this last holiday, and will attempt my own video's along with the college.

If I knew she was coming to D.C. she could have brought them with Her. I live 7 miles outside of D.C. Hope she has a safe trip, looking forward to seeing the pics

Anytime, just PM/email me.

Am certainly willing to provide any assistance in that area you may need. (in exchange for a little information on good quality lasers!:P)

Greg

• The topic was locked