Light-O-Rama Forums

Generic RS485 Adapter

gizmomkr

I have just ordered my first (2) PC series kits (yay summer sale) and was wondering about the RS 485 adapter.

I have a RS232 to RS485 adapter I used a while back for another project - its NOT LOR brand, and was just wondering what the chances of it working are ?

It does have a seperate 5v power input.

Anyone had any luck with non LOR converters ?

I thought I read someplace that the d-light units could use anything, but the LOR units needed "something special"

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

I have used a non LOR brand RS485 adapter in the past with no problems. All it is doing is converting RS232 + and - 12VDC levels to around a 4 - 5 VDC RS485 signal and it not proprietary so it does not have to be LOR.

I am not sure on the RS232 to RS485 adapter, but a word of caution for anyone thinking about a generic SC485 serial converter. Don't do it, I used a non-LOR adapter my first year and it created communication problems between the controllers and computer. Use the USB to serial adapter sold by LOR if you go that route. The generic SC485 serial converter that I had bought was based on a different chip than the ones sold by LOR.

I agree with Denny in buying the USB 485 converter from LOR especially right now since it is sale for $23.95, but LOR does not use any specialized chips that no one else uses. You just need to make sure you set the baud rate correctly in your generic converter(if that setting is available in yours, it was in mine). Like I said I ran my first season with my non LOR convertor.

There are some possible issues. LOR is 2 wire rs485, some adapters are 4 wire. Also how bidirectional support may be handled differently, so hardware utility functionality may be impacted as well as triggers.

-klb- wrote:

There are some possible issues. LOR is 2 wire rs485, some adapters are 4 wire. Also how bidirectional support may be handled differently, so hardware utility functionality may be impacted as well as triggers.

First let me say I am not try to start any arguements or fights with anyone nor offend anyone, If this guy is just trying to save money right now I can totally understand it.

As long as his adapter is a 2 wire adapter I don't think bidirectional comms are going to any problem at all. I deal with RS485 networks at work all the time and all they are is another means of of communicating. As far as the triggers go, the Controllers are going to process the trigger command and just throw it on the communication link when its time for it to talk.

If I am wrong, PLEASE Dan or someone else from LOR please chime in.

Again if you can afford it, purchase the LOR USB RS485 adapter, its on sale. This way you are gauranteed to have no problems

kzaas wrote:

-klb- wrote:

First let me say I am not try to start any arguements or fights with anyone nor offend anyone, If this guy is just trying to save money right now I can totally understand it.

As long as his adapter is a 2 wire adapter I don't think bidirectional comms are going to any problem at all. I deal with RS485 networks at work all the time and all they are is another means of of communicating. As far as the triggers go, the Controllers are going to process the trigger command and just throw it on the communication link when its time for it to talk.

If I am wrong, PLEASE Dan or someone else from LOR please chime in.

Again if you can afford it, purchase the LOR USB RS485 adapter, its on sale. This way you are gauranteed to have no problems

Very well put Kzaas. And I have to say that I would with RS-485 at work alot also. With 4 wire all you have to do is tie the A1 & A2 together. Also tie the B1 & B2 together and that now effectively makes it a two wire system. But I have to agree, best just get the ones from LOR. I do believe that there are a slight possibility that because LOR uses a super chip (less current but higher impedance) that there might be some problems with the marriage of your brand to their controller. I dont think that there will be any kind of damage trying. Worse case is that you will be delayed trying things out.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to search and find info on the rs485 Pin out, (I thought I recalled seeing it someplace before) but I cant seem to find the thread.

Does anyone know the RS485 pin out on the LOR board's RJ-45 jack ? (or RJ-11)

Obviously most use the out-of-the-box stuff and there is no reason to know it

Thanks everyone for the help and your advice. I have done shows for 2 years now - My original rig was made of MIDI controllers that threw relays for lights. This year will be my first run with LOR hardware. The forum has been a great resource and everyone in the LOR world has been great to share info and designs, and advice.

gizmomkr wrote:

I tried to search and find info on the rs485 Pin out, (I thought I recalled seeing it someplace before) but I cant seem to find the thread.

Does anyone know the RS485 pin out on the LOR board's RJ-45 jack ? (or RJ-11)

Obviously most use the out-of-the-box stuff and there is no reason to know it

Thanks everyone for the help and your advice. I have done shows for 2 years now - My original rig was made of MIDI controllers that threw relays for lights. This year will be my first run with LOR hardware. The forum has been a great resource and everyone in the LOR world has been great to share info and designs, and advice.

LOR-PINOUT.JPG

on the PC forums, Someone was asking about a RJ-45 to screw terminal adapter.To wire to the LOR DC card for RGB outlets. I think it was ErnieHorning. Posted this Link,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400084028224&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3706wt_913

There are cool, but If you need 5 per DC card, that gets a little steep!
So I think most people are direct wiring, or using standard keystone jacks,

http://www.firefold.com/Cat5E-110-Type-Keystone-Jacks-C741.aspx
Then using RTV to attach then inside the enclosure.

Here is the adapter I'm using - I'm hoping it will work at least for testing.

I'm just trying to pace myself and not spend thousands all at once.

Just got my first board, (soldering right now) and am expecting 2 more whenever the try-for-free sale shipps. I'll probably buy the showtime software in another month or two, and when I do, I'll get the LOR RS485

Just kinda sad because I didnt find LOR when I began my light shows - so I have close to 500 invested in a bunch of MIDI driven relay cards. I tried to e-bay them, but no one wants them....To me they were gold, but to most - just a strange pile of electronic junk.

I know showtime has some MIDI options, but I dont think it supports a MIDI out track via a midi adapter (thats what I need to drive the relay cards) I think its more of a midi import to trigger lor chanels.

Attached files 207048=11491-IMG00049-20100724-1155.jpg

Just thought I would post to say it worked fine. I wired up the data lines to my LOR board and everything worked in the hardware test utility.

My first LOR board complete. Only 2 more to build before thanks giving. :D