Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485B and Windows Vista

Wynell Lewis

I have purchased the CTB16PC. I have it ready to test, but with Windows Vista you can not use the USB4858. I tried using a phone cable, was not successful with that either. Could someone please give me a little advice. Thanks.

I know you can use the 485B with Vista. (Just fired it back up to test.)

I can't remember if there was a software install for that or not. (I think there was, but I haven't installed on in a while.)

You will want to make sure that when you are looking at your Device Manager, you see the "USB Serial Port" in the "Ports (COM & LPT)" section. Without that, you wouldn't get very far.

I to have Vista. I use the USB-RS485 and 485B cable and have no problems. The only thing I notice is a lag in start when i play a sequence.

Wynell Lewis wrote:

I have purchased the CTB16PC. I have it ready to test, but with Windows Vista you can not use the USB4858. I tried using a phone cable, was not successful with that either. Could someone please give me a little advice. Thanks.

I might be wrong, but I think Wynell does not have one of the USB to RS-485 adapters, do you Wynell? I got part of that from his bit about the telephone cable.

And if you do have the USB to 485 adapter, then you need a eithernet cable. I believe that it is a patch cable so you can pick up one of those at just about any store that selling electronics. Best Buy, Home Depot might have some pre-made or the stuff to make one, Radio Shack and so on.

Now to cover my butt some more just in case. Wynell, if you have the adapter, what is happening that leaves you to believe that Vista and the adapter are not playing well together? For I too have Vista and did not have a lick of trouble communicating with the controller once I got the Hardware utility up and then configured my controller. Remember half of it is that you need to assign an address to the controller first.

Wynell,

Do you have the FIDI Drivers installed to communicate with the USB485B? I think you can only use the RJ11 connection to go from controller to controller. Definitely you can't for the first connection from USB485 to Controller.

I called the HP help desk, they are the ones that told me, Vista would not run with this equipment. I didn't have the USB driver installed properly which I have corrected after reading your input. I was trying to use a phone cable and not an ethernet cable. I will purchase an ethernet cable tomorrow. Guess you can tell I am not a computer whiz; just a homemaker who loves Christmas lights and has decided to enter the light of rama world. I have acquired a wealth of knowledge from this forum. Thanks for all your help. Don't laugh, I can't help it, I am just learning.

Not to worry Wynell, that's why we are here. Most of us enjoy helping others as much as the hobby/obsession itself!

Wynell,

I think Max-Paul has it right, it doesn't sound like you have a USB to RS485 converter, the people on tech support from HP, Dell or anyone else wouldn't have a clue about what you are trying to do. The converters are on this LOR page: http://store.lightorama.com/accessories.html

This is the one I bought last year: http://store.lightorama.com/uscoadwivobo.html

The converter came with instructions to install and the drivers needed to make it work.

Steve