Light-O-Rama Forums

Copy and paste comes up trashed.

James Shelby

This might be a Dan question.
When I copy a clean block of ramps up and fades down (a block could be a few seconds long with 16 to 24 channels) then paste them anywhere else on that page I find blank lines and/or hash marks on top of the ramps or fades. I can delete the bad cell and redraw it but it's a real pain. I have not connected lights to the sequence to see if the blanks or hash marks show up. My question is will the blank lines or trash marks show up in the show and most of all how do I fix the copy/paste problem. I'm running S2 ver2.7 with 7 tracks and 960 channels on a laptop one year old with XPpro. James

Couple of questions come to mind.
1) Does this happen on one sequence, or all sequences?
2) Does it happen when doing a cut/paste between sequences?

There is part of me that says it's an odd system graphics issue, but that's just a wild guess at this point.

Another question, did you try re-booting to see if the problem was still there? If your operating system isn't functioning correctly, LOR wont either.

Yeah I know, you should need to reboot to fix Windows. I've seen copy and paste fail before, so I know it can happen.

Also, does this happen when you create a new sequence from scratch.

BTW, its not always a Windows issue. It could also be another program lurking from behind (i.e. virus or spy-ware).

I have tried to upload the lms file but it will not let me so I'll try this zip file.
Look 3/4 the way down the page to Tree Red timing mark 2:11.

Attached files 2010JoytotheWorld.zip

This might be a good place for a timing expert to give me a lesson, I look at this sequence and think it is a timing issue with the seq but thats just be cause I dont understand the differences between fixed and freeform timing and what happens if you cross the streams so to speak.

How can one cell have 3 different levels ( ramp up, off and on ) I have seen things like this but I dont understand how it works, either that or I am barking up the wrong tree.

James Shelby wrote:

I have tried to upload the lms file but it will not let me so I'll try this zip file.
Look 3/4 the way down the page to Tree Red timing mark 2:11.

James,

A quick 2am cut/paste job, and I was unable to duplicate the problem.

huskernut wrote:

This might be a good place for a timing expert to give me a lesson, I look at this sequence and think it is a timing issue with the seq but thats just be cause I dont understand the differences between fixed and freeform timing and what happens if you cross the streams so to speak.

How can one cell have 3 different levels ( ramp up, off and on ) I have seen things like this but I dont understand how it works, either that or I am barking up the wrong tree.

It might be 2am asking, but, Where do you see one cell with three different levels? Is there a place in this sequence you can point to as an example?

Don what "huskernut" pointed out is all over this sequence. Also under "edit" "set paste mode" mine was set to "paste by cell". In this mode I have the problem but when I change it to "paste by time" my pasting seams to be fixed. I don't understand the difference between the two. I would hate to have something else to remember to switch back and forth between.

Okay, so I shouldn't answer a question at 2am. I know what's he's asking now. Running short on time this AM, so I'm going to head on out the door.

If no one else is able to followup, I'll do so this evening.

Assume you are coping 5 cells that are .1 sec each;

Using paste by cell; If you paste to cells that are .05 sec it will paste in 5 cells so the part pasted will be 1/2 the length of the original.

Using paste by time; If you paste to cells that are .05 it will paste into 10 cells and the length of the original will remain the same.

This gets a lot more complicated to explain if you are coping and or pasting freeform time grid. I guess the idea is that if you paste by cell you get the same number of cells you copied, if you paste by time you get the same amount of time. This can even paste to 1/2 a cell.

By the way that is how you can different effects with in the same cell.

I hope that explains the difference.

There's a known bug in pasting where if "paste by cell" is set, and the events that were copied were not coincident with cells, when you paste them, they could be pasted incorrectly.

This issue will be fixed in the next release of the software.

In the meantime, if you could please tell me an example channel and time range to copy from that sequence, and where to paste it to, in order to see the problem happen, I can verify whether or not the problem you're seeing is the same problem that we know about (and which will be fixed in the next release).

In any case, I apologize for the problem.

Hey Bob lone time no talk to. Here is the file. One of the problems is in "tree red" 3/4 the way down the first page at timing 2:11 but you can see the problem of blank marks in different locations. I can take the whole block copy it and when I past it, it can get progressively worst. James

Attached files 2010JoytotheWorld.zip

I was working on a sequence this A.M. and when I did a copy and paste, most of the "beats " that I copied were not in the timings grids. they were outside of the boxes. Is this the same problem?

One of the problems is in "tree red" 3/4 the way down the first page at timing 2:11 but you can see the problem of blank marks in different locations. I can take the whole block copy it and when I past it, it can get progressively worst.

Thanks, but could you please tell me exactly what channel to copy (keep in mind that your "first page" might not be the same as my "first page"), exactly what time range (start and end times) to copy, and exactly what time to paste it to in order, in order to make the problem occur?

Thanks again.

I found the same problem and posted it in this thread.

Since most of my songs have a strong beat, I use the beat wizard to set the timing marks on the beat. I almost always use "paste by cell" and the reason is this:

Say you have a "Dance Beat" Christmas song and you want "mini tree #1" to be on 30% and "pulse" to 100% on the down beat. Put a "fade down" from 100% to 30% in the cell on the first down beat. Set the next 3 cells to 30%. Then copy these four cells, and do a "Paste Multiple" until the end of the sequence.

Not counting the time you took to setup the "Beat" timing, you've now taken about 15 seconds to nearly finish one element of your entire sequence. If your song has a strong beat and you've used the beat wizard, the "pulses" of this channel will be exactly in sync with the music.

If you had used "paste by time", or used a fixed timing grid, the flashes would get out of sequence.

I was working on a sequence this A.M. and when I did a copy and paste, most of the "beats " that I copied were not in the timings grids. they were outside of the boxes. Is this the same problem?

May or may not be. It might not even be a problem at all. Pasting isn't necessarily supposed to line up with timings; it matters which paste mode you have set ("by cell" or "by time"). And even if you have "by cell" set, it matters what exactly you have copied, and whether those things lined up with the cells that you copied them from.

I have paste by time, the ones I copied and pasted were done one by one till I had about four done and then did copy and paste. Those were the ones out of the box, so to speak.

Paste by time doesn't pay attention to timing marks at all: If the thing that you copied was one second long, then when you paste it, it will remain one second long, no matter whether that makes it line up with timing marks or not.