Light-O-Rama Forums

LED moving head vs. discharge

mmaness

I'm curious about the LED moving head lights vs. discharge lights. Are the LED lights anywhere near as bright as the discharge lights? I have a Chauvet, but it's halogen. It's just not bright enough for my house. The brick is a dark color and soaks up the light. I need something bright enough to overcome the brick color.

And yes, here in Texas (during the summer) I realize that dark brick was a mistake. Boy, do I know it's a mistake!

Mike Maness

I have both Chauvet Q-Spot 150 HTI's and Q-Spot 150 LED clones that spec 30W LED's though I suspect that they may actually be 20W. The LEDs are roughly as bright at the 150 HTI's with the 150's having a slight edge. If you need something brighter, you need to step up to a fixture with a 60W LED. My understanding is that these are about as bright as 250's, but I have not seen them in person. If you need something brighter than a 250 for your house, you are pretty much stuck with 300's if you can find them, or else with 575's which are going to be blisteringly bright.

I need to recind one of my statements. I just did a side-by-side of the two fixtures. The 150 HTI's appear brighter in white, though it is a warmer white than the LED. The LED appears brighter when the colors are applied. This, I suspect, is because the LED white is less warm and makes the colors appear more vibrant. The difference is noticable but not huge. The LED head is also throwing a larger pattern so it is probably technically producing more light.

• The topic was locked