Light-O-Rama Forums

Understanding DMX 101

Ralph A

This will be my third year with LOR and I think my obsession is getting worse! If that's possible. I want to expand and try a few DMX products this year and have a few questions. I have read most of the forums here and PC, but because I've never used DMX I'm not real clear if I have this right and wanted to ask a few question for the veterans.

1. When I use the IDMX-1000, along with my current LOR PC-CTB16PC, I do not use any of the current 16 channels of the PC-CTB16PC to run the channels on the DMX unit. Instead the IDMX is assigned a designation and offers up to 256 channels of DMX control for those units.

2. If a DMX has five channels, 1 rotate right, 2 rotate left, 3 strobe, 4 pattern green and 5 pattern red. I simply sequence it to the prospective channel on the LOR sequence (through IDMX Channels) to get the desired effect. Right?

3. Is it necessary to have the Chauvet DMX-4 Dimmer/Relay Pack http://www.cheapdjgear.us/Chauvet_DMX_4_Dimmer_Relay_Pack_p/dmx-4.htm as I've read and seen in the forums? And if so does if just act as a dimmer for the DMX device it is hook up to?

4. Lastly, If I want to use a snow or fog machine, and have it turn on at a certain time in the sequence (not hitting a button manually) it must have a dmx option as LOR( PC-CTB16PC not an IDMX Channel) will not be able to control them as they have a 5 to 10 min heat up time correct?

I know I have asked many questions but I don't want to invest to much money and find out it will not work as I thought! Thanks for all the help and advise!!

Ralph

Hi Ralph

on my site http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/resrqteh/

you will find a downloadable presentation on LOR idmx-1000 and dmx

there are layouts for the LOR network and DMX network on the site also ---- keep in mind that the addressinng you see on the dmx sketch layout is for Legacy mode

since Feb. this year LOR software supports 512 channels of dmx

there is a downloadable spreadsheet that will allow you to choose what address you want and it will fill in the addresses thru 512 ----- This is called Native mode

the old configuration of 256 channels is called Legacy mode

if you are just starting into dmx ---- i recommend using native mode ----the addressing scheme is much easier to follow

The chauvet unit (4 channel) you describe is no different than a LOR dimmer pack (16 channel) ---- the unit you have from LOR is a dimmer pack also ---- they both do the same job --- the difference is the current they handle

i use several chauvet units for a 500 watt light on each channel---- if i used 500 watt lights on a LOR unit i would have a lot of unused channels

your description of sequencing each channel to acheive a desired function of a dmx light fixture is basically correct ---- the addressing of the idmx-1000 and the settings on your dmx equipment are critical to receive the desired results

Frank A.;)

Ralph,

The biggest question mark usually is how it all works when put together. Between the iDMX, the sequence and the lights.

The key is understanding the DMX light's base address and how it relates in your sequence and to the iDMX. The other part is to understand that the iDMX is just another controller as all your other LOR units are. It just happens to have 512 channels you get to manager.

Frank mentions the native DMX512. LOR now supports that (yea!), AND the legacy 256 mode that they had from the start. The key in this is how you identify your iDMX (controller ID). I can't see any good reason that anyone would use Legacy mode.

Fortunately there is a lot of good material around since DMX is ramping up. I too have a decent primer on my site. I have recently modified it to really go after the iDMX ID, Base Address, sequence relationship.

Keep asking questions.

Thanks for the help and advise. PM sent.

Does anybody use the fog and/or snow machines outside? How well do they work in the open? How big do they need to be?

Thanks

Ralph,

I use 2 of the Super Fogger V-950's. They are very powerful units and I keep them inside my garage. I put a couple of holes in the side of my garage, and fitted 3" pvc coupling in the hole with a screw on cap (which I use in the off season). During the season I simply take off the cap, hook some 10' pvc pipe up to it, and basically pipe it to different areas of the yard. I placed the hole in the garage wall the same height as the nozzle of the fogger, so the fogger simply sits on the floor and blow fog through the pvc on command. Of course, the advantages to this is the fogger is out of the weather, and I can direct the fog anyplace I want it. One year I had fog coming out of a wireframe dragon's nose, and he had what looked like fire coming out his mouth, it was a pretty cool effect.

Bill

Ralph A wrote:

This will be my third year with LOR and I think my obsession is getting worse! If that's possible. I want to expand and try a few DMX products this year and have a few questions. I have read most of the forums here and PC, but because I've never used DMX I'm not real clear if I have this right and wanted to ask a few question for the veterans.

1. When I use the IDMX-1000, along with my current LOR PC-CTB16PC, I do not use any of the current 16 channels of the PC-CTB16PC to run the channels on the DMX unit. Instead the IDMX is assigned a designation and offers up to 256 channels of DMX control for those units.
You are correct- you do not use any channels of your lor controller. you us the idmx as if it were another controller (with 512 channels)

2. If a DMX has five channels, 1 rotate right, 2 rotate left, 3 strobe, 4 pattern green and 5 pattern red. I simply sequence it to the prospective channel on the LOR sequence (through IDMX Channels) to get the desired effect. Right?
exactly - assume the idmx was controller#2 and you were were using all 16 channels of the lor 16pc controller and your DMX device was set to a DMX address of 1 with 5 channels of control, then you would sequence using channels 17, 18, 19, 20. and 21

3. Is it necessary to have the Chauvet DMX-4 Dimmer/Relay Pack http://www.cheapdjgear.us/Chauvet_DMX_4_Dimmer_Relay_Pack_p/dmx-4.htm as I've read and seen in the forums? And if so does if just act as a dimmer for the DMX device it is hook up to?
The relay pack is useful if you do no want to keep the machine powered on 24hrs
I use 2 American DJ dimmer packs set to switched for my 2 snow machines. You do not want to put any type of motor on a dimmer as you can cause harm to the motor- (a lor cotroller is considerd a dimmer) DMX relays can be found relatively cheaply

4. Lastly, If I want to use a snow or fog machine, and have it turn on at a certain time in the sequence (not hitting a button manually) it must have a dmx option as LOR( PC-CTB16PC not an IDMX Channel) will not be able to control them as they have a 5 to 10 min heat up time correct?
Snow machines generally do not have a preheat time and can be set to turn on or off, though with a dmx option some allow for a change in intensity via dmx A fog machine generally will need to heat up, I have seen some people build a relay to bypass the switch and use a lor channel trigger the relay, otherwise you would want the DMX option

don't want to invest to much money and find out it will not work as I thought! Thanks for all the help and advise!!

Does anybody use the fog and/or snow machines outside? How well do they work in the open? How big do they need to be?
I use 2 of the competition's snow machines (AL - basically they are identical to a Chauvet 150) and 2 ADJ moving heads all are mounted up under our eaves. I have used them for the past 3 years and besides having to clean the insides (they get a little dusty), I have had no issues

Ralph

see above

• The topic was locked