Light-O-Rama Forums

Chuck Smith

Guest Guest

SDembski wrote:

I think most members will still stick around after the forum upgrade and will continue to give out advice. I just hope Chuck picked out a better software package for this forum because I cant stand how slow Vbulletin is and it seems to get slower after every new release

I couldn't agree more...

Well I come here every day.... Not no more... Hey we have ChristmasCarolina fourms that will be much better. I am concerned what other bad decisions LOR will be making.... CCR with no software.......

I did not leave LOR... LOR left me... :)

GOOD-BYE

I don't think that a forum upgrade is a bad decision. I am just hoping that they choose something other than vbulletin for this site. I visit a few other non-Christmas forums that use vbulletin and they are all a lot slower than I think they should be.

melwelch wrote:

Well I come here every day.... Not no more... Hey we have ChristmasCarolina fourms that will be much better. I am concerned what other bad decisions LOR will be making.... CCR with no software.......

GOOD-BYE

I personally find the "LOR left me..." a bit offensive. Are you saying that LOR left you because we are switching to a different forum software? That is all that is happening here and people that read more into this than that are being a bit silly!

More likely you believe that because you have now discovered that LOR has a guy named Chuck Smith on the pay roll, that means that LOR have left you! Chuck worked here last week, last month, two months ago, etc... so if that were the case we left you some time ago but you didn't know it.

I am glad that Chuck is working here and if that means to you that LOR left you then I ask you specifically: What as an employee of LOR has Chuck Smith done to drive you away?

If anyone has a problem with the performance with any of the people that work at LOR they should contact me an let me know what that person did and I will take care of it.

People should get a grip!

Dan

SDembski wrote:

I don't think that a forum upgrade is a bad decision. I am just hoping that they choose something other than vbulletin for this site. I visit a few other non-Christmas forums that use vbulletin and they are all a lot slower than I think they should be.

The new forum is vBulletin but it seems pretty snappy to me, certainly no slower than the current system. Our intention is to improve people's experience and performance is certainly part of the equation. I would not consider slower response times acceptable.

Dan

melwelch wrote:

GOOD-BYE

While their have been issues due to the lack of software support for certain hardware LOR has made up for it in other areas especially in the customer support department.

While we may not agree, Dan is probably doing what is best for this forum.

I do wonder however if Dan originally made the post instead of Chuck about the upgrade would there have been as much negative feedback.

Somehow I did not see any supportive posts here? I can't imagine a reason why people would try to bias this forums members against Chuck and PC. Not trying to illicit reasons !
I want to give the upgrade a chance and encourage others to do so too. Dan thanks for keeping a level head and for providing this forum for us to interact.

LightORamaDan wrote:

SDembski wrote:

The new forum is vBulletin but it seems pretty snappy to me, certainly no slower than the current system. Our intention is to improve people's experience and performance is certainly part of the equation. I would not consider slower response times acceptable.

Dan

Vbulletin pages are OK as far as initial loading speed although I do find that they are not as quick as the current platform here. Here is an example of 1 vbulletin issue, I use Firefox and generally have several tabs going at one time. I can switch between most tabs and the change is instant. However if I click on a tab that I had loaded with a forum running vbulletin it typically takes 2 or 3 seconds before it will switch. If I click on another vbulletin tab then I have to wait but if I click on a different tab lets say the current LOR forum it will switch instantly.

The other issue I always seem to find with vbulletin is trying to scroll through a thread quickly. If there is only a few posts and no pictures it is fine but throw a pic or 2 on there or a bunch of posts than trying to scroll down the page becomes terribly slow.

SDembski wrote:

Vbulletin pages are OK as far as initial loading speed although I do find that they are not as quick as the current platform here. Here is an example of 1 vbulletin issue, I use Firefox and generally have several tabs going at one time. I can switch between most tabs and the change is instant. However if I click on a tab that I had loaded with a forum running vbulletin it typically takes 2 or 3 seconds before it will switch. If I click on another vbulletin tab then I have to wait but if I click on a different tab lets say the current LOR forum it will switch instantly.

The other issue I always seem to find with vbulletin is trying to scroll through a thread quickly. If there is only a few posts and no pictures it is fine but throw a pic or 2 on there or a bunch of posts than trying to scroll down the page becomes terribly slow.

In the beginning the PC vBulletin install did seem to have it's problems to me as well. I have to say, though, I've not experienced these problems that you are mentioning.

Course, we don't have that many threads over here that have a ton of pictures, and most people are respectful on their signature, so there shouldn't be as many images to go through.

Just my two cents.

I used to think that it was just my computer but then I recently built a new one and its the same way. It is possible that my issues could be due to the combination of software that I use but I don't seem to have issues with any other website other than the ones that use vbulletin

Wow, I don't know what to say. I usually have a smart a@@ comment but WOW. I don't know what chuck did to [Foul Language Used] off alot of people here but haven't heard anything to support their anger. Please P.M. me and inform me. I haven't been to PC in over a year. I visit this forum almost everyday because of all the kind people that help me out. I don't find that on PC as much as everyone here. I would hate to see you people leave because of something this chuck did in the past. I think of all of you as friends even ROBIN. Jeff don't leave the forum. Lets not forget why we are here. For the smiles on peoples face we get from doing this.

I have no issues with Chuck either. I am also not a fan of Vbulletin. I find it slow also. The biggest problem I have is I cant get all the posts via email like I do here.

I find that a big negative. It's so easy to go down thru all the new posts everyday with minimal clicking when it's in email. No navigating in and out of threads, scrolling up and down to see what you have and have not read.

I hope you can keep that feature in the new format or I may not be here much either. I find myself just lightly browsing topics on PC now about twice a week instead of following everything like I do here.

Brian Mitchell wrote:

I have no issues with Chuck either. I am also not a fan of Vbulletin. I find it slow also. The biggest problem I have is I cant get all the posts via email like I do here.

I find that a big negative. It's so easy to go down thru all the new posts everyday with minimal clicking when it's in email. No navigating in and out of threads, scrolling up and down to see what you have and have not read.

I hope you can keep that feature in the new format or I may not be here much either. I find myself just lightly browsing topics on PC now about twice a week instead of following everything like I do here.

Thanks for the Vbulletin feedback. That is helpfull and appreciated.

Dan

[align=center]:shock: Hmmmm. Not sure I'm feeling the love with this group :shock:[/align]
The challenge is support for the software running these forums. WowBB is fast and easy to use. Unfortunately, we're into the third year without any sort of upgrade from the vendor.

The Light-O-Rama way is to be proactive and address issues before they become problems. That's why Light-O-Rama products are so reliable. The same applies for the forums supporting the user community.

For those that don't know the evil Chuck Smith, feel free to give me a buzz: 415-738-0398. Most people think I'm actually a pretty easy going guy. Been doing this computerized lighting thing for 25+ years now and seen a lot of products... most are lucky to last one holiday season. Light-O-Rama is the exception to the rule. Rock solid products and support.

This thread has reached its end.

We are moving to make things better for our customers and once the dust settles, if we have not met that goal please let us know.

Thanks,
Dan

Edit: So now I get a bunch of PMs/Emails about this thread being shut down. This thread was serving no purpose. We are going to make the change to a new forum. It is a waste of energy to debate because we at LOR have made the decision.

This move has been discussed for a long time! Please stop making a big deal out of this! We have work to do to make things better for you. New forums is one thing, new website with better support, new software, new enhance firmware for existing and new controllers, new products, etc... We would like to concentrate on that rather than this stuff that is why the thread is closed!

As I said above please let the dust settle, try out the new forums, it should be a quick transition and after some time with the new lets see how things go!