Light-O-Rama Forums

Chuck Smith

Guest Guest

I guess I haven't been around long enough to know any personal issue with him, but I am concerned about the new forum software. If it is just like PC, I will be upset, and probably not be here very often. I like forums that don't use the cookie cutter software, that all look, and feel the same.

I'm all for upgrades and changes, but why change to match PC? why not just close, and force everyone over to PC, LOR has their own forum for a reason, don't make it look / feel like every forum out there.

Well...let's see if anything happens to this post...like it disappears... :)

JBullard wrote:

Does seem to raise a lot of questions

I agree John. Is this forum going to go the way PC has? I rarely check PC anymore as it is full of posting for the sake of posting. I value my time more than that.

Seems I've been away from PC for a bit too long. Other than my own disagreement over the PC decorating contest (where supposedly not one newbie or static display was good enough to win their category), I had no idea things have gotten as bad as they sound.

jimswinder wrote:

Well...let's see if anything happens to this post...like it disappears... :)
I'm sure it will.

Sorry guy I'm going to have to remove myself from this form as long as CHUCK SMITH is one of the Admins. I left PC just because of him and now I will leave LOR.

Dan please delete my Account.

Walter

Guest wbottomley

Let me find out exactly what's happening and I'll report back Thursday night.

EDIT: and, I have technically dropped out of the LOR dealer program because he's heading it up.

I still have bad blood from years past.

Wow. Tough crowd! I don't know, and I don't want to know, but please leave forwarding adresses. I'm just in it for the great minds, and will find you where ever you go...Many thanks to All!

I too hope it doesn't end up looking like the PC forums. PC forums seems like they take forever to load now compared to the older versions of the software.

I don't have anything against Chuck or him being a member here but I don't know if him being an Administrator on here is a good thing.

Interesting this post now has twice as many views as the post that started it all... :shock:

IDK the new vbulletin just seams to be slow cause of how much they added to it.

I kind of liked the simple forum we head here.

If you want to mover though, phpbb seams much quicker and its free. If you want some bells and whistles invision power board 3 has a nice balance from my workings with it.

(Note I have administrated both phpbb and invision power board sites, and can say both are great software. I have also researched other forum software but always seams to find more short comings and complaints about them)

I do not know Chuck, and from the sounds of it, do not want to. I went on PC a few times and hated it, that is why I stay here. I guess I will be emailing people to ask question rather than be on the forum. I agree, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Please leave it the way it is. It is obvious that people do not want to change things and some are not happy about who is running it. Do you value your customers or not???:):(

I see three main concerns voiced in this thread; Why change the forums at all? Is there going to be a change in how we run the forums? Why is Chuck Smith involved?

Why change the software? Over the years a number of people (including some posters in this thread) have recommend this move. The existing software has stagnated and is missing a number of features I would like to have.

We will be configuring the new forums to look much like this forum. We hope the transition is as easy as possible for people. Our goal is to make LOR better by tightening up the integration of the main website and the forums.

Changes in the way things are run? There will be no changes in the way that this forum is run. It will operate as it has since day one. This is a change in the software being used to operate the forums, it is not a change in the philosophy of operation! Anyone concerned that the new forum is going to operate differently than it does today can lay those fears to rest.

Chuck Smith? Chuck Smith has technically been an admin here since the inception of the LOR Forums. He is the person who originally set up this site. Chuck is an employee of LOR and one of his roles is to help LOR keep up to date with web technology.

Dan

Edit: My recommedition is that we wait to see how things go before we complain. The idea here is to make things better!

Maybe before we jump to too many conclusions we should wait for Dan to chime in. Who knows Chuck might only be on here to help with the forum upgrade and then hopefully he will just be involved with the dealer network stuff that Mountainwxman said in a previous post.

-I see while I was very slowly thinking about my words in this post Dan already replied.

Dan,

Thanks for your quick reply, I hope everybody hangs around to see the new layout. I love the help everybody gives so freely here and hopes they stay and continue to do so.

I think most members will still stick around after the forum upgrade and will continue to give out advice. I just hope Chuck picked out a better software package for this forum because I cant stand how slow Vbulletin is and it seems to get slower after every new release