Light-O-Rama Forums

Some DMX Questions

machtoo

I have read many of the posts and the User Guide for the iDMX 1000 but have a few questions to confirm. I am looking at using an American DJ MegaBar50 RGB LED light bar that is compatible with DMX512 instead of several hot 90 watt colored spots for the wash effects on a quartet of singing 3 axis skulls for Halloween.

1) Based on what I have read I must use the iDMX1000 to interface with the MegaBar via XLR cable?

2) The iDMX plugs into the network like any other LOR controller?

3) I assume the MP3 director can drive the MegaBar as part of the show?

4) I assume the iDMX1000 will show up in the S2 software as a set of controllabel channels so I can control fade and other effects?

Just want to make sure the solution will do what I need before committing.

With the bar I hope to light sections of the LEDs for a spot effect or the entire bar for a color wash effect when needed in the song/sequence.

Thanks in advance for any info,

Dean

Dean,

You are correct on all fronts. The iDMX cats the LOR signal into it on one side, via cat 5 cable. It than outputs DMX on the other side, via the DMX standard XLR cables. Think of the iDMX as a standard LOR controller with 512 channels, or 256 depending on the firmware your using. The MP3 director can certainly control it, because again, it is just a standard LOR controller. Usually the DMX fixtures have a certain rain of channels that they use. For instance, my moving head uses 13 channels. So in the software I just added 13 new channels and put the addresses according to the address that is set on the DMX light.

DMX is extremely easy once you get a hang of it.

• The topic was locked