Light-O-Rama Forums

Panoria setting in...again...

jimswinder

Ok...was sitting here over-thinking in terms of security again since I have invested my life savings into some controllers this year...

Has anyone ID'd their controllers, such as engraving SSN on them or other pertinent info (to help with recovery)?

Is that possible without damaging the board? (in the case of separating it from enclosure)

Maybe even going to the extreme of attaching GPS chip?? (I'm kidding about that one...aren't I?) :shock:

I can only think of one case that I've heard of in the last 5 years with regards to someones controllers being taken/damaged.

While the topic of security is a good one, the simplest thing might be to put padlocks and wire around the enclosures. (But, that's just my opinion.)

Don wrote:

While the topic of security is a good one, the simplest thing might be to put padlocks and wire around the enclosures. (But, that's just my opinion.)

As others have stated in other posts, to me that would suggest that then there was something worth stealing...hence the dilemma.

I think the most diabolical thing would be to build many, many "gift boxes" to put around the yard. Build them in all shapes and sizes and make them look like they had something very valuable inside them - maybe even put a chain and padlock around a few of them and a sign in the yard that says "PLEASE DON'T STEAL THE BOXES". Then, put your controllers somewhere else, so when people rip off the boxes all they get is an empty box.

PS - Sorry to learn of your "panoria" Sharon and I each had something like that when we were in Mexico a few years back. Drink lots of beer and stay away from hotel rooms that offer wide, expansive views and you'll be okay in a few days.

jimswinder wrote:

Maybe even going to the extreme of attaching GPS chip?? (I'm kidding about that one...aren't I?) :shock:

GPS chips are getting cheap. I work on job sites now, that all contractors ID badges have chips in them, so the head co. can track when and where there vendors go during the day!

I use an angle iron frame that I chain to the next controller. You can also use one of those screw into the ground shed hold down auger's and chain between the frame and auger.

Attached files 202195=11247-IMG_0054.JPG

I also use an alarm system that runs between controllers using the cat5 cable as the signal carrier. If any of the cat5 cable is disconnected, the alarm goes off. I bought it off a guy in the forums here. Worked good for me.

Attached files 202197=11249-IMG_0633.JPG

bisquit476 wrote:

I also use an alarm system that runs between controllers using the cat5 cable as the signal carrier. If any of the cat5 cable is disconnected, the alarm goes off. I bought it off a guy in the forums here. Worked good for me.

Do you need one of those for each Controller box?

Or just one for all?

Just one, as long as all the controllers are connected by cat5 cable. I think they all have to be LOR controllers, as the system uses unused wires 1 and 2 in the cat5 if I remember correctly.

Max-Paul wrote:

One for all and all for one.

What is the cost for one of those units?

It is unlikely someone will steal a controller for profit, since their value is known only to groups like ours. The gray cases that most of us use make them look like sprinkler controllers, which have little value to a thief. I mount some of mine in Rubbermaid boxes, which make them look even less valuable.

IMG_1621.JPG

Some are mounted to the backside of trees, with screws:

IMG_2003.JPG

The most likely human threat to your display is from vandals, usually teenagers. They'll go after the big visible things, like blowups.

I think the best you can do is to make it harder for them to grab and run. Chain or bolt it to something or otherwise make it heavy or hard to move. If they’re dumb enough to steal it, they’re probably not smart enough to know what to do with it.

If they really want it, they’re going to take it no matter what you do. If they want to destroy your stuff, they’re going to.

The odds are that everyone will just enjoy your work and nothing will happen.

Steven wrote:

The most likely human threat to your display is from vandals, usually teenagers. They'll go after the big visible things, like blowups.

Hi Steven,

I live only a couple miles from you in Santa Clara and will be setting up a decent light show next year for the first time. Have you had many instances of vandalism in the years you have done the show? I am thinking of installing a security camera that records to a DVR just in case. I am especially concerned for the week I will be gone this winter and want my show to continue to run. I am hoping no one will vandalize it or mess with it while I am away. So far, no one has messed with my static displays, but then again I never advertised my display like I plan on doing this year so had nowhere near the number of viewers I hope to get.

ryebred wrote:

but then again I never advertised my display like I plan on doing this year so had nowhere near the number of viewers I hope to get.

I think some (if not most) would advise you NOT to advertise...for several reasons.

1) If you are worried about vandalism, then why advertise that you have something to steal...AND give them the address and directions!! :shock:

2) A lot of people (neighbors) aren't prepared for the crowds, and prefer the adage "build it and they will come" attitude.

Me...I'm an Aries and LOVE the attention so though I don't directly advertise, I certainly let a few key people know (a well known community blogger and via my own website) what I am doing and they get the word out... :)

(I know...I am contradicting my own fears here!! what can I say..I'm complex!! or stupid...you pick!) :D

ryebred wrote:

Have you had many instances of vandalism in the years you have done the show?

I have not had any vandalism to my Christmas display. However, a few years earlier, I had a lighted "Moon Rock" (that hooked into the Malibu garden lights) near the sidewalk. It got kicked out 3 times and I kept putting it back, but then it disappeared.

jimswinder wrote:

1) If you are worried about vandalism, then why advertise that you have something to steal...AND give them the address and directions!! :shock:

By advertise, I don't mean taking an ad out in the local paper or buying a billboard or advertising slot on TV. More like posting a flyer in the break room at work, telling friends and family, building a website, and inviting the neighbors to a grand opening with tea and cookies and a 30 - 40 minute show. Maybe I will send some flyers with my kids to hand out to others in their class as well.

Also the fence in my backyard is next to an expressway in the area. I am not sure if I am allowed to bolt a lighted sign on the top of my fence or not but I was thinking about doing that as well.