Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC on DMX

supergumby

I posted this on the general questions page, but i think it may be better to ask here....

I have connected one of my LOR controllers to a DMX console to use for theatrical lighting in our church. I needed to do this to get scene selection of static lighting combinations, not sequences.

But I'm having a problem.....

The DMX program will connect to the controller, the status light becomes steady, and all of the channels respond correctly..........for about five or ten minutes. After that, the status light will start flashing, the lights go off and I have a very difficult time reconnecting, even after cycling the power to the controller and rebooting the computer. Sometimes I have to connect the SC485 to the PC and the controller, run the hardware utility, then re connect the DMX and it will resume operating....for another 10 minutes. Nothing is getting hot; I can run this same setup in an LOR network for hours.

The controller is running 4.3 firmware and the controller ID is 01.

Any ideas?

Frankly I would lose the SC485. I think it is too slow to handle DMX. Do you have one of the USB adapter? I would try that and see what you get.

Try upgrading the firmware to 4.32... I vaguely remember some changes relating, but can't remember which version of the firmware addressed it...

supergumby wrote:

Dan,

It's a CTB16PC. Do you need more info?

We will run some tests...

We generally keep things connected to DMX for weeks during tests. Can you think of anything that is happening with the DMX or the controller, power, etc... when this happens? Any pattern you have detected?

Thanks
Dan

This is my first experience with DMX. These controllers ran flawlessly this winter (in an LOR universe). I have not been able to use them yet in this DMX application because they won't stay connected.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know where to start.

supergumby wrote:

This is my first experience with DMX. These controllers ran flawlessly this winter (in an LOR universe). I have not been able to use them yet in this DMX application because they won't stay connected.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know where to start.

The fact that they sync up and start working and then "stop" working makes me think that you are not really doing anything all that wrong.

So you have these connected to a DMX console. Did you make your own XLR/RJ45 adapter or do you have one from LOR?

When connected to the console you can control the lights for a while then it looses connection. Are you doing anything at the time it looses connection?

Are there other things connected to the DMX universe or just this one controller and a DMX console?

Long / short cables?

• 2 weeks later...

Well,at the end of the day, LOR is still the perfect product. My problem was a bad crimp on the RJ-45 cable to the LOR board. When I was disconnecting the DMX and connecting the SC485, I was moving it enough to make it work for a bit.

It's always the simple stuff that gives me the most trouble.

Thanks for all of the help.

• The topic was locked