Light-O-Rama Forums

leaping arch

Steelers95

I did mine by separating sections along a 10 foot "3/4 pvc pipe and placing a string of 100 lights in each of 8 sections. I did that four times therefore four arches. But, I saw in here that others suggested creating individual sections that can be separated so light repair can be accomplish a lot more easily should it be needed. Probably a good idea. Others who have done it that way can advise better. For securing to the ground, I did the simple way of pounding in rebar at an angle on both ends and it provided plenty of support.

Ditto the 3/4" PVC.  Grey electrical PVC works best for me.  I didn't use the sleeve method, but if I was to do it again, I probably would.  I also secure them using a 2' long piece of 1/2" rebar pounded into the ground at each end of the arch.  You'll want to try a few with the rebar pounded in at different distances apart to get the shape you prefer.

My recommendation would be an odd number of channels on each arch.  I've sequenced everything between five and nine channel arches and the odd numbers definitely give quite a few more options and IMO far better-looking effects.  I recommend seven channels.

If you peek around YouTube there are a couple videos on how to make the sleeve style. Just search "how to make leaping arches"

My opinion that method does lend itself to less hassle or trouble shooting

well for some reason I can not cut and paste the address from the other sight but if you go to www.planetchristmas.com and go to there forums and look under the DIY section arches of light and go to easy arches I am building this type for my first arches they look good and so far have bot been hard to build granted I'm not done yet.

I didn't think about the arches having an "odd" number of channels and truly that's a very good idea, therefore the odd channel is in the middle on top which would look nicer. I didn't do that because frankly I didn't think of it but I was thinking in numbers of channels on the controller...8-channels on one arch, times two arches = 16 channels or one controller. Yes, 7 or 9 would work just fine.

What would be the best way to make a leaping arch?

If you would be interested in driving east on RT90 to NE Ohio I have 8 arches already built that I'm thinking of selling.

I need to jump in here and put in my 2 cents worth.

A single LOR controller is $225.95 Regular price, $175.95 2013 Mad Grab price. 16 Strings of LEDs ~$160-$200 if using sealed LEDs plus materials for the actual structure. If doing 8 channel arches, that’s ~$340 just for the controller and LEDs. Incans will be considerably cheaper as will big box store LEDs. This is also assuming a single color and 2 arches. I used sale prices for the total.

A single set of Cosmic Color Pixels cost $239.95 Regular price and $169.95 2013 Mad Grab. Assuming you can get them at the grab sale, it’s half the price and, a ton of different colors and 4 arches at 25 pixels per arch. Even if you don’t get the Mad Grab sale price, there’s always the summer sale. Even at full price, there are no other lights to buy. Still coming in under the Mini light arch price.

Last year I did 4 arches with a single set, 25 pixels per arch. Just a thought, since nobody has said anything about RGB.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer gmac but after watching some video's and hearing Ron Boyd's opinion I think that RGB's are the way to go. Not sure if I want to get the san device e684 or a set of the cosmic color pixels. How big did your 25 pixels arches end up being?

5' wide 2.5' tall. I put the CCPs into 1" PEX tubing at about 4" intervals and attached the PEX to these: http://store.winterlandinc.com/WL-LA-NL-05-5-Leaping-Arch-Frame--No-lights-_p_3552.html

Once the spacing was figured, and all materials and tools ready for construction, total build time was about 4 hours.

I made my pixel arches using 1/2" PEX, 10' tall, 4" spacing.  They are about 6' from end to end and about 3' tall aprox. 

I drilled holes and inserted my pixels into the PEX. 

I made my pixel arches using 1/2" PEX, 10' tall, 4" spacing.  They are about 6' from end to end and about 3' tall aprox. 

I drilled holes and inserted my pixels into the PEX. 

Would love to see daylight / build pics of these!

Hoping to snag a set of CCP's.

Was going to try the lawn edging method but like the look of pex.

Edited by worksopian
  • Like 1

we used pvc and rope lights.  I like the look of the rope lights.  hooked a jig kinda thing to the end of the pipe and hooked it to a drill.  Wrapped a pipe in about 10 minutes once we got the first one figured out 

If you would be interested in driving east on RT90 to NE Ohio I have 8 arches already built that I'm thinking of selling.

too bad I'm not visiting relatives up there in Painesville...

we used pvc and rope lights.  I like the look of the rope lights.  hooked a jig kinda thing to the end of the pipe and hooked it to a drill.  Wrapped a pipe in about 10 minutes once we got the first one figured out 

do you have any videos of your arches..would love to see them

5' wide 2.5' tall. I put the CCPs into 1" PEX tubing at about 4" intervals and attached the PEX to these: http://store.winterlandinc.com/WL-LA-NL-05-5-Leaping-Arch-Frame--No-lights-_p_3552.html

Once the spacing was figured, and all materials and tools ready for construction, total build time was about 4 hours.

Have an pictures of this Ron, or any more details. Your videos inspired me to pick up my first pixels during the mad grab

Sorry, No pictures but I can explain how to do it in 7 easy steps.

1. If you use the Arch wire frames I linked to, Take the PEX tubing and attach it to the frames. I used zip ties. At the bottom on both sides it takes quite a few because of the way the PEX is rolled up.
  2. Once the PEX is attached, mark the PEX with a Sharpie at 3.5" or 4" intervals, (can't remember for sure, but I'm almost sure it was 4"). this will leave about 3 or 4 inches on both ends.
  3. Lay the arch frames face down.
  4. Now take a 1/2" spade bit and drill the holes at the marks. The PEX is like cutting hot butter. I drilled 100 holes in about 5 minutes.
  5. Start at the center of the 4 (if doing 4) and work outward. Insert both strings from center to ends.
  6. Once the Pixels are inserted, add some hot glue to each one. It won't lock them in permanately, but will hold them well and fill in the gaps.
  7. Fold the arches face to face with the pixels on the outside for storage. Done.

To be honest, the hot glue part was what took the longest to finish. I hung them on a bicycle hook in the basement until set-up time.

I'm afraid I'm being blond. The CCP string is inserted into the PEX and then you push the individual pixel/lamp out of the hole you drilled in the PEX so it is exposed?

So the PEX is flexible enough that you can feed the CCP string through and push the pixel out?

No no that's not right. I insert the pixels into the back so the globe where the actual LED is inside the PEX. the wires are all on the outside. Does that make sense? Where the wires are are facing away from the viewer

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1xtluzjue1n9qv/20140404_200540.jpg

here's a picture. This ought to make it a little clearer

Edited by Ron Boyd

A few years ago, I built a 49-foot arch. There's a video of it here: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/7735-mega-arch-test/

Because of the size, I had to conserve bulbs, so I folded 100-bulb strings and tie-wrapped them to the front instead of wrapping them.

I've used the same arch for 4 years and it still looks good. It folds into a 10-foot package that one person can carry (with difficulty).

I'm afraid I'm being blond. The CCP string is inserted into the PEX and then you push the individual pixel/lamp out of the hole you drilled in the PEX so it is exposed?

So the PEX is flexible enough that you can feed the CCP string through and push the pixel out?

The pixels would be just single points of light, the way this is done is it uses the pex tubing as a diffuser to spread the light out