Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D and Hardware Utility

Denny

I am using LOR 3.8 advanced software and have ordered a couple of the CMB24D controllers during the sale.  Will I need to upgrade to the 3.10 software to use the hardware utility with these controllers?  

• Like 1

I have the same question as I just received my CMB 24. I did find that you can use the "Console" button to access the "Test console" screen, click on "Extended Circuit Ids" and go to channels 17 to 32 which then can then test the upper channels of the CMB 24.

I just looked at the 3.10.2 HU and it doesn't show any firmware for the 24 channel DC board yet. Also the console still only has 16 channels in it, so I don't know how the boys are going to control the 24 channel board.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Hardware utility 3.10.6

This recognises the cmb24d and has 32 test circuits (24 enabled when cmb24d detected).

This is my first post and I don"t think I can post a pic yet. But here is a screenshot I took of my hardware utility screen: http://i.imgur.com/Dsv8wsG.png

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

OK,

Just received my CMB24D, hooked it up to the PC to test, fired up the HU; refreshed, and it sees the board but announces "Unknown Device????"

HU is 2.8.12 if that is relevant.

Any constructive suggestions guys and gals?

Martin

OK,

Just received my CMB24D, hooked it up to the PC to test, fired up the HU; refreshed, and it sees the board but announces "Unknown Device????"

HU is 2.8.12 if that is relevant.

Any constructive suggestions guys and gals?

Martin

"Unknown Device" stems from how the LOR software determines what is actually connected to the LOR network.

A very simplified explanation is that the HWU and controllers exchange computer talk between each other, then the software converts it to human readable. In versions of 2.8.x (and anything 3.9.x and lower) the software doesn't know how to translate the code into human readable form.

I *think* you would be able to set the address on the device, but I can't say for sure.

I think another way of saying this is that if your version of S3 is a build before LOR came out with the CMB24D board. When the software pings the hardware when it builds the list of devices on the network. The codes coming back to the software ID the devices. The ID code is translated to be this board or that board. This is coded in the software. Cause the software does not recognize the code for the CMB24D, you get the error that you are seeing.

Hope that clears this up for you..  Newer version of the S3 software will clear this up for you.

Ken, your link isn't very helpful. it takes you to the top of this very same thread.

Sheesh - the one time I don't double check my links and it loops.

Thanks for pointing it out.

"Unknown Device" stems from how the LOR software determines what is actually connected to the LOR network.

A very simplified explanation is that the HWU and controllers exchange computer talk between each other, then the software converts it to human readable. In versions of 2.8.x (and anything 3.9.x and lower) the software doesn't know how to translate the code into human readable form.

I *think* you would be able to set the address on the device, but I can't say for sure.

Don,

So, since my licence will only allow me software up to and including 2.9, does this mean that I will have to purchase an upgrade in order to perform such things as firmware updates / standalone sequence, downloads etc. to the CMB24D?

If that is the case, then I am truly disappointed! I do not believe that there was/is any mention of a minimum software level to support this board at the point of purchase!

Any comment LOR?

[edit] OK I've just taken a look at the "LOR_DeviceFile.txt" and it does not have an entry for the CMB24D. Would it be possible to have the parameters for the CMB24D, so that I may add the device to that list? [/edit]

Martin

Edited by grandad

Don,

So, since my licence will only allow me software up to and including 2.9, does this mean that I will have to purchase an upgrade in order to perform such things as firmware updates / standalone sequence, downloads etc. to the CMB24D?

If that is the case, then I am truly disappointed! I do not believe that there was/is any mention of a minimum software level to support this board at the point of purchase!

Any comment LOR?

Martin

You would need to 'renew' your license, which (as of this writing) is $29.95, if you wanted to have a license for the latest versions of software.

Just based on 9+ years of using the software, my guess is that you would still be able to do the stand-alone downloads and firmware upgrades even running 2.9. I would put in a ticket at the help desk to make sure though.

Don,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have edited my previous post, prior to reading your reply.

Have you any thoughts on my query within that edit?

Martin

[edit] OK I've just taken a look at the "LOR_DeviceFile.txt" and it does not have an entry for the CMB24D. Would it be possible to have the parameters for the CMB24D, so that I may add the device to that list? [/edit]

Martin

I'd have to go look later, as I don't have LOR on this PC.

Can I ask though, what you are trying to accomplish? I understand it may be annoying to see "unknown device" in the HWU, but that's the only side effect. Assuming you can do firmware updates, which I've already mentioned I'm not sure on. However, if you can't do the firmware updates, then I don't think changing that text file is going to fix things.

Don,

Thanks for the input.

I'm just concerned about the longevity / flexability of the product if I cannot access it correctly with my setup.

I have raised a ticket with LOR, raising just these questions, so I will see what transpires.

As an aside that I mentioned before, I am disappointed that no mention of this problem was evident at the point of sale :o(

Martin

Don,

Thanks for the input.

I'm just concerned about the longevity / flexability of the product if I cannot access it correctly with my setup.

I have raised a ticket with LOR, raising just these questions, so I will see what transpires.

As an aside that I mentioned before, I am disappointed that no mention of this problem was evident at the point of sale :o(

Martin

While LOR may say otherwise, the only known problem there is would be the fact the name doesn't show up correctly.

Of course, consider also that 2.9 only lets you test up to 16 channels via the HWU "LOR Control" tab. Starting at 3.10.x you have up to 32 channels to select from. Granted, you could get around that my using the console button (I think) at the bottom of the screen and use the extended circuit IDs option.

Thanks for all your input guys.

LOR have now resolved the issue for me - they have reminded me why I love LOR so much; their after sales service really is second to none :)

Thank you LightORama.

Martin

Thanks for all your input guys.

LOR have now resolved the issue for me - they have reminded me why I love LOR so much; their after sales service really is second to none :)

Thank you LightORama.

Martin

How did they solve your problem?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Ken,

I don't think it appropriate to discuss LOR's solution in a public forum.

However I will PM you if you feel that would be acceptable.

Martin